marriage just before CP interview

Kevin Shells

Registered Users (C)
I am trying to get information on the feasibility of getting married just a few days before the CP interview at Mumbai. Anyone have info on this ?

Yes it is possible.

Many people have done it before. Talk to the consulate and ask them
what material needs to be submitted for your spouse. You can submit them before or can hand deliver them during your interview and your wife\'s case will be entered in the same category. There are several threads on this. Take a look at them for more satisfaction.

thanks

Thanks GC_thollai....I have tried to find info on this site but so far unsuccessful...could you point me in the right direction.

No Title

You can do this.
Unfortunately , they will probably call your wife back later ( a month or so ) for an interview .
She will not get her papers on the same day as u .

For that reason , i had a civil wedding a week before I sent Pkt 3 out . That way my wife will get the GC with me .
We do plan on having a religious wedding a few days before the inter view ( Jan 25th , CP on Feb 1 st ) .

Yes. wantAgc is right.. That is the best way to do it.

But if you cannot do it this way, you have to prepare for a max of
3 months before your spouse can be scheduled for an interview. If it is mumbai, they do whatever they can to accomodate your spouse immediately or within a month. If it is Chennai, you have to wait for 2-3 months.
http://www.immigrationportal.com/WebX?128@@.efb8eb8

Did the same thing.. and everything went smooth..

I got married two weeks before the interview. Consulate needs a copy of marriage certificate, copy of spouse Birth certificate and copy of her passport in full. I also attached a copy of my I-140 and appointment letter, just as supporting documents. They will add her to your case as "Follow to join" and spouse will be scheduled at a later date. My spouse got her interview scheduled in two months after I submitted her pkt 3 on my interview date. I prefered this way as the consulate will enter the information into their systems immediately, than mailing the pkt 3 and wait for them to take long (atleast 2-3 weeks) before they enter the information into the system.

I am waiting for my spouse to attend her interview, will update once that is done.

What are the risks in Follow to Join?

I have not sent my Packet III & was wondering what are the
risks involved in applying Follow to Join for spouse?

I am thinking if I should postpone sending my Packet III
till I get married so that both can get GC @ the same time,
disadvantage being additional wait time & extra trip to INDIA!

Is there any risk at all in Follow to Join case??

I got married after my CP interview at Mumbai

Hi I got married on 5th of January after my CP interview on 31st of
December at Mumbai.

After the marriage I had to submit the following docs.

1. Copy of Marriage Certificate.
3. Biographic for (DS230-I) for my wife.
4. Copy of my I551 approval notice.

The application was accepted and she has been mailed her P3.

So best thing for you to do is send them an email describing your situation, they will reply what you need to do.

desi007

Hello desi007,
thanks for your input. do you have the email address handy ? when you say copies of certificates - are these notarized copies ? what is a I551 approval notice ?
Thanks

Kevin et al... another alternative

For the brave singles who want to tie the knot along with CP, here is an alternative.

I got married about a week before the interview. Got marriage certificate, etc., the same day and sent spouse\'s pkt 3 docs by fax. On encouragement from some fellow CPers (thanks sup), I got medicals etc done using web printout (to avoid unwanted questions), but even original appointment letter will do (docs have a list which they verify and it will have only your name, but they don;t mind if you take your spouse along for EB cases). Went to the consulate along with spouse. Again used web printout, no questions asked. Inside, they were very considerate (unlike the dumb folks who reply to emails who flat out refused saying it is not possible). They said they will give her the visa the same day if numbers are available, if not, they\'ll call her back as soon as it becomes available (latest next month). Lucky for us, it was available and we both got our visas :) Ofcourse, it is not the "proper" way, so obviously has its risks, but like evrybody said, you have nothing to lose. Not sure if this will work out in Mumbai though.

cheers

Kevin

Kevin,

1. The copies were not notarized.
2. you can use the consulate email mumbaiiv@state.gov (I used it)
3. I551 is the Immigrant Visa approval notice ( GC :) )
   you will get it after your interview, attached to the IV packet.

The best way of course is to get married before the interview and submit your wife\'s paper\'s during the process.

Anyway after going through the process I feel there is no risk involved, since the Packet3, my wife recieved has my priority date
and she has been put into EB2, which is my category.

A successful case

I am using this portal for a long time and it is amazing how much we can learn from each other\'s experience. I got married on Oct 9th just before my consular processing which was Oct 18th. I send email to the consulate, requesting to include my spouse in my interview. But my request was denied. I did go for my consular process on Oct 18th and explained my situation to clerk/officer. They said that I should have brought my spouse with me. They also said that they can arrange an interview for both of us on the next week. But, I had to fly back to USA in the next week. So, I asked them to get the consular process done for me and open another case for my spouse. My spouse got the interview date on Jan 25th. She had the same case number. Although it was not required, I went to consulate with her on Jan 25th. She got the immigrant visa and we entered the country on Jan 27th. Everything went well, but they did a really thorough check up of the papers such as marriage certificate, etc. Since I was present with her, it was easier.

Hope, my experience helps others who are in similar situation. Thanks...

Hello Successful_greencard

Thanks for your input.
I am fairly confident that I have the list of documents needed for the spouse. However, it would be helpful if you would list what docs you took for your spouse.

Thanks,
Kevin

Successful_Greencard

Hi Successful Greencard..
Which consulate did U go to Chennai or Mumbai??
Also can U post what documents did U submit for U\'r wife..
I am planning on getting married before the interview & submitting
her papers during my interview..

Kevin..

Kevin
Can U tell me what documents are needed for the spouse.
Are U planning on taking U\'r wife along with U for the interview?
As Rajesh Paul had done?? Let me known about it..

I am planning to get married in May & hence holding off on
sending my Pkt-3 till mid Feb.. Let me known about U\'r case..
Let\'s be in touch, since our cases are similar.. though
I will be attending my interview in Chennai ( I think procedure
should be same for all consulates)

Some questions to wantGC

Hi WantGC..
U mentioned that U had a civil wedding before sending Pkt - 3..
During interview did they ask for invitation cards?? If so did
U make some invitation cards with this date in it??..
I was planning on a civil wedding before the interview, submit
my wife\'s docs & have the religious marriage later on.. I was
wondering if they ask more proof than marriage certificate during
the interview..

sri_gc and others do the consulate need I-824 approval notice with Pkt3 ?

Guys,

I did my CP in Mumbai consulate and mentioned in Pkt 3 wife will
follow me at later date. The Mumbai consulate created the separate
case for her and recently send the Packt3 forms. I am wondering whether we need I-824 approval/recepit notice also? I never filed
I-485 application in my case.

As I understand I-824 approval is required to transfer the
case from INS to the foregein consulate thru\' NVC and that
has happened in my case being primary applicant.

Help in this regard would be appreciated.