• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Marriage after Visa interview for DV2011

winner201176

Registered Users (C)
I have already got DV visa (DV2011) on january 2011 as a single.
But i still haven't go to USA and the last date to hit USA soil is 18 july 2011.
Do i need to go earlier before july?

Now I want to marry before I go USA.
Is there any problem when I marry?
How can I change my marital status when I reach USA?
How to call my wife to USA?

Tks

It is better to go to US before July 18 just to be safe and not to wait till the last moment. There is no problem for you to marry, but the thing is that your wife will not get any status , because you only have a green card and are not a US citizen yet, she might be able to apply for some kind of visa, but till you get citizenship she can not get green card. good luck

But i still haven't go to USA and the last date to hit USA soil is 18 july 2011.

Tks

Tks

You should go to USA before the last date. Do not wait till the last day, you do not want any surprises you will regret.

You can get married before your travel to USA however you cannot bring your wife to the USA right away.

The way it works is;
1) You will first come to the USA
2) While in the USA you will apply for a Green Card for your spouse (wife),
3) The bad news is; it takes up to 2 years for her to get the green card through marriage. Meaning, you guys will be apart for 2 years, unless you visit your home country often.

Or, you can come to US before July 18th and stay for a while and go back to your home country. You can also apply for your wife's green card in the US Embassy in your home country ( still takes up to 2 years). You just make sure you go to USA every 6 months to maintain your green card.

Hopefully in 2 years she will have green cards, and can travel to US together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call the embassy about this! If you have really strong proof that you were engaged years before with that woman there is a chance a very small chance to get a visa for her!

Tks

The embassy will automatically think it is a fraud marriage and you will have to overcome that presumption. It is not easy.

IF you are unsuccessful in adding her (most likely outcome) THEN come to the U.S. in time to claim your greencard status. Immediately upon entry, your visa in your passport gets stamped and activated as a substitute for the greencard (good for one year) the actual card will arrive in the mail usually within a month. Make sure you have a safe mailing address in the U.S. by the time you arrive on that first trip!

You can immediately file an I-131 for a re-entry permit (REP) for which you will need to get fingerprinted usually 2 to 4 weeks after filing the I-131. AFTER getting fingerprinted you may proceed abroad and can have the actual permit delivered to the embassy/consulate or USCIS Office abroad for you to pick-up. The REP allows you to remain abroad for up to 2 years without losing your LPR or "greencard" status. BUT that time will NOT count towards building eligibility for naturalization. A REP may be obtained a second time for another 2 years (you have to come back to the U.S. to apply and get fingerprinted again). A 3rd REP might be approved for one year or denied.

Additionally, once you arrive, the validated visa (substitute for the greencard) also allows you to file an I-130 relative petition for your wife (and any children, including stepchildren who were under 18 when you married the mother) on one I-130. By the time you run out of REP time, an immigrant visa should be available or very close to available for your wife.

How you proceed is up to you, consider your options carefully. In order to secure the visa for your spouse and any children, you will need to qualify for the I-864 Affidavit of Support, ie., you need sufficient income so she will not be a "public charge" AND you will have to have a U.S. residence by that time which is late in the visa process when her visa is almost ready. Residing abroad may be bad for BOTH of those issues. You can get joint sponsors to help with the income BUT as a DV, you may be the first of your entire family to come to the U.S. and a sponsor must be either a USC or LPR residing in the U.S. in order to file an I-864. You might not have anyone to help you out?

If you remain in the U.S. to work, you will be apart from your wife. It is a difficult choice to make. The proper planning of your time spent in the U.S. and abroad will be an important part of your overall plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marriage after DV visa

Dear frd
Tks for your help
I want to know 2 things
where should I submit I130 form?
Do I need to submit with marriage certificate for I130?
Tks

Marriage after DV visa

Dear frd
Tks for your help
I want to know 2 things
Do I need to submit with marriage certificate when i submit I130?
Is there any fee for I130?
Tks

Marriage after DV visa

Dear frd
Tks for your help
I want to know 3 things about I130.
Do I need to submit with marriage certificate when i submit I130?
Is there any fee for I130?
Tks