Maintaing Permanent Resident Status

Anybody has ever heard, people who have always been maintaining their GCs with paying tax, driver license, US address, bank accounts etc, but have always came back to the US >6 months but < 1 year, got their GCs taken away?

Anybody has ever heard, people who have always been maintaining their GCs with paying tax, driver license, US address, bank accounts etc, but have always came back to the US >6 months but < 1 year, got their GCs taken away?

Some people mix criteria and purpose of GC. The GC is for people who fulfill certain criteria under certain category and follow the rule of stay in US. This has nothing to do with pay tax or not, have US address or homeless, have bank account or keep your money in your house or even do not have money at all. Many folks pay taxes, have more than bank account, have more than one home in US ....etc and not fulfilling criteria for permanent residence and stay with visa. The GC needs you not to stay more than continous 6 months abroad without permit and if you stay for more than one continous year, your GC is gone. Trying to convince your self that you have every thing else (tax, house, bank account, .....etc) and not staying the required time will put your GC in an adverse situation and does not matter with you at that time what was happened to others, either they were granted to reenter or their GCs were taken away.

It seems to me that you just have to be reasonable. Ask yourself if you are going on a temporary trip abroad and whether you maintain intention to come back to the US to live permanently. Then maintain ties that make sense e.g: address, employment, taxes, pay bills, get reentry etc.

But if you want to come to the US on a regular basis to stay for less than 6 mths - ask yourself - am I living here or where?

The key is that you need to live in the US and not in a foreign country. But you can still go away for extended trips abroad.

Disclaimer: This might be bogus advice. I am not a lawyer.