Lost Passport

sambats

Registered Users (C)
Hi Friends,

Well as weird it might sound ...but I have lost my passport...does anyone know what happens in these cases...in terms of INS - H1VISA..restamping and stuff.

I will get new passport but not sure what happens to VISA and stuff. I do have photocopy of every thing and advise everybody to make copies of theirs.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
sambats said:
Hi Friends,

Well as weird it might sound ...but I have lost my passport...does anyone know what happens in these cases...in terms of INS - H1VISA..restamping and stuff.

I will get new passport but not sure what happens to VISA and stuff. I do have photocopy of every thing and advise everybody to make copies of theirs.

If your visa is still valid, you can request for a restamp, showing your H1 approval (Notice of Action), the police report (for lost passport) and previous stamping. You can do it either sending your new passport to State Department at Washington DC, or you can do it from a consulate next time when you go out of country.
If you lost your I-94 too, you have to request for new I-94 by filing I-102 (see USCIS site). See this site for more info:
http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/10obtaining-arrival.htm

Hi,

File for duplicate passport from Indian Consulate : time frame 4 to 12 months
File for I102 which is for duplicate I94 if you have lost I94 too.
File for duplicate vissa.
Refer to search for " duplicate passport '' there is plenty of information available on this site.
Unfortunately you can not revalidate vissa on duplicate passsport ,you have to go to home country and get it stamped.

Don't panic and Take steps to refile needed documents.

Hi,
Can you tell me how much time it takes to get new passport( Indian consulate,NY) ? Can we get it as urgent basis on same day ? B'cos till now I didn't get my passport from DOS, DC. I think they lost it.I need to go to India for my marriage next month. Can I get the passport same day ?

thanks

bala_2000 said:
Hi,
Can you tell me how much time it takes to get new passport( Indian consulate,NY) ?
------ you can get PP from NYC in 4-5 days but if your PP is lost then you need police report and it will taker time
Can we get it as urgent basis on same day ? B'cos till now I didn't get my passport from DOS, DC.
------ better is to write DC office and find out your passport
I think they lost it.
--- if you wrote correct address on Fedex envelope you can track it
I need to go to India for my marriage next month. Can I get the passport same day ?
----- I dont think if passport is LOSt they give you newPP same day they might have to check with Indian passport office with your PP #. talk to DC then go to NYC Indian consulate

thanks

Thanks ginnu for your reply !

I called DC office and DHL office to track my package.
I spoke to the mailroom in my office and showed them the copy of my airbill.
He told me that I used incorrect shipping form in my return envelope.
So,do you know what DOS will do if send incorrect shipment form or with no stamp on the return envelope?

Thanks again !
Bala

bala_2000 said:
Thanks ginnu for your reply !

I called DC office and DHL office to track my package.
I spoke to the mailroom in my office and showed them the copy of my airbill.
He told me that I used incorrect shipping form in my return envelope.
------- you can update DHL with airbill to send the Passport to correct address, you need to discuss with them , if you paid by your credit card show your ID and credit card to them. I dont know if they will help or not but if they dont deliver it to you then it will go back to DC and DOS may send to your address as on the DS-156 or you MUST provide them your passport # name, DOB, when it was sent, so that they can find out your returned passport and can send with regular mail to you. it should be done when you think that your Visa stamp has been done from DC you can visit other threads related to the date when they are recived PP or when they sent PP for Visa stamp and when others recieved PP back from DC. if you feel that your Visa may still not be stamped and passport may be still with DC then also better update them by fax or letter, provide each and every info so that they can track your passport.
So,do you know what DOS will do if send incorrect shipment form or with no stamp on the return envelope?
---- you were supposed to provide then return envelope with your address on it if you wrote incorrect address then it will go to incorrect addrees and then it will be returned to DC office.
Thanks again !
Bala

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ginnu,
I gave the correct From and To address. But in the return envelop, I need to put address label form.There are 2 types of form. One is for prepaid and other one is without prepaid( I come to know only today).When I mailed my form, the DHL guy didn't tell me these details.Now, the the mail man in my office is saying, DOS mailroom will not hand over it to DHL if incorrect form is used(He asked me to check with DOs).So, I faxed them today with all details.

In this case, what DOS will do ? They will send it to me by regular mail.I called today and they told me that my passport got visa stamped on Jun'16th.

Thanks,
Bala

Hi ginnu,
I spoke to DC office today morning. they told me that they will send any undelivered mail thru regular mail with the address in DS-156 form. do u have any idea how much it will take to receive it? when I asked the DC lady, she told she doen't know the time.I sent a fax to them.How is the response from DC for fax?Do they care for fax?

anybody received their passport thru regular mail?

Thanks,
Bala

vsahay said:
I am Permanent Resident of Canada. Working here in US on H1B (Valid till Sept 2005) from last 4 Years. I lost my Passport in US Postal mail and applying for duplicate passport at Indian Consulate NY. Does anyone know -

How much time it takes to get Duplicate Passport from Indian Consulate NY?
---check with Indian Consulate NYC
Once I will get it can I go to Canada and do H1B stamping on Duplicate Passport at US Consulate in Canada? I have police report and xerox of original passport.

If so how much will be the fee and the mode of Payment?
--- check the consulate site
Please help me.

Thanks

Lost Passport - Please help

I am Indian Citizen and Permanent Resident of Canada. Working here in US on H1B (Valid till Sept 2005) from last 4 Years. I lost my Passport in US Postal Mail and applying for a duplicate passport at Indian Consulate NY.
I would appreciate if anyone of you can help me to know

How much time it takes to get Duplicate Passport from Indian Consulate NY?

Is Passport No. going to be same in Duplicate Passport?

How Duplicate Passport process works?

Once I will get it can I go to Canada and do H1B stamping on Duplicate Passport at US Consulate in Canada? I have police report and xerox of original passport.

If so how much will be the fee and the mode of Payment?
Please help me.
Thanks