Lost Passport and Naturalization

libran0929

Hi, first of all I'm from Guam..anyway, when I moved out from the place where I used to rent at, I left my folder with my documents on it (US PASSPORT, Naturalization, SSN card), I went back to that house and my land lord said he didn't see any documents.

I went to the US passport office and they told me that I need a proof of citizenship(copy), I told them my situation and they told me I still need get them that document, I know a place that made a copy of my naturalization which is the Guam Police Department for my Guam ID but they insisted of giving that to me since they are not supposed to make a copy. I printed out the application online and haven't gone to USCIS, but I am currently applying for my Financial Aid for College and they require for me to show them either my naturalization or my passport. I have few questions since I don't know what else to do. When I apply for the replacement of my naturalization using N-565, are they going to issue me a letter or receipt to show that I applied? Can I use that document for me to apply for my passport(which I think my other resort so I can get my Financial Aid on time), and where am I suppose to bring the application for N-565? Can USCIS issue verification receipt for me? I don't know what else to do, I am walking eggshell w/o any documents stating that I am even allowed to stay in US :(

Any advice???

Your school needs a passport or naturalisation certificate? How about just a driver's licence and unrestricted social security card?

I think if you take your DL to a local state department passport office and pay the document search fee they will look for your original passport submission and issue you a new passport.

RE: This is the case for NY Southern District

Hi, first of all I'm from Guam..anyway, when I moved out from the place where I used to rent at, I left my folder with my documents on it (US PASSPORT, Naturalization, SSN card), I went back to that house and my land lord said he didn't see any documents.

I went to the US passport office and they told me that I need a proof of citizenship(copy), I told them my situation and they told me I still need get them that document, I know a place that made a copy of my naturalization which is the Guam Police Department for my Guam ID but they insisted of giving that to me since they are not supposed to make a copy. I printed out the application online and haven't gone to USCIS, but I am currently applying for my Financial Aid for College and they require for me to show them either my naturalization or my passport. I have few questions since I don't know what else to do. When I apply for the replacement of my naturalization using N-565, are they going to issue me a letter or receipt to show that I applied? Can I use that document for me to apply for my passport(which I think my other resort so I can get my Financial Aid on time), and where am I suppose to bring the application for N-565? Can USCIS issue verification receipt for me? I don't know what else to do, I am walking eggshell w/o any documents stating that I am even allowed to stay in US :(

Any advice???

To Obtain a Record of Naturalization

Any naturalized citizen who requires a letter of verification to show proof of U.S. citizenship must obtain a record of naturalization and present it to this Court. A record of the weekly naturalization ceremony is filed by date and consists of a calendar list of names, corresponding green card numbers, naturalization certificate numbers and name change petitions. Some records are maintained on-site and may be retrieved from the Clerk's Office located in Manhattan. Other records are archived off-site and must be retrieved from one of the off-site locations.

Complete petitioners’ records are retained by the bureau of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

September 6, 1996 to present
Currently, the court maintains the records of naturalization that occurred as of September 6, 1996 to the present date. Anyone naturalized during this time and who needs to show proof of citizenship may request a letter of verification. Requests should be submitted to the Office of the Clerk located in Manhattan.

September 24, 1991 to September 6, 1996
To obtain a record of naturalization that occurred between September 24, 1991 and September 6, 1996, file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request at 26 Federal Plaza. Present the record to this Federal Court, and request a letter of verification.

Prior to September 24, 1991
To obtain a record of naturalization that occurred before September 24, 1991, request a certified copy of the record from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) located at 201 Varick Street, 12th Floor, New York City. The telephone number is (212) 401-1620. Present the certified copy of the record to this Federal Court, and request a letter of verification.

Questions regarding the Naturalization Ceremony are to be directed to the Clerk’s Office/Naturalization (212) 805-0710.

Visit the bureau of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to read the guide to naturalization, obtain the necessary forms and check the status of an application.

This happened to me about a year ago... I lost both my Naturalization certificate and passport and needed proof of citizenship ASAP. There's a straightforward solution:

You'll need to go to the post office and together with all related forms (passport application, etc.) request a "file search". This isn't adverstised and they only perform this as a last resort in the event you have no other way to prove citizenship. There's a fee involved (of course! Around $60 I believe) for this service. You'll have to take with you a short, concise typed and signed statement basically stating that you lost all your documents and have no other way of proving citizenship.

In my case the postal worker was a little grumpy about the additional work, but processed it efficiently and knew exactly what I was talking about. I requested expedited service and received the replacement passport within 1 week.

Luckily you've already held a passport, so your info is already in the US State Dept's system (enabling them to conduct the file search) allowing for a simple and fast solution to your dilemma. If, however, you had never applied for a passport and lose your naturalization certificate then your only recourse would be to apply for a replacement certificate and then brace yourself for a frustrating and agonizingly long wait for USCIS to review your application.

For those of you that have a naturalization certificate but have never applied for a passport, APPLY FOR ONE ASAP! If you lose the certificate you lose your only proof of citizenship and will have to endure a long winded torturous experience with the immigration authorities.

This happened to me about a year ago... I lost both my Naturalization certificate and passport and needed proof of citizenship ASAP. There's a straightforward solution:

You'll need to go to the post office and together with all related forms (passport application, etc.) request a "file search". This isn't adverstised and they only perform this as a last resort in the event you have no other way to prove citizenship. There's a fee involved (of course! Around $60 I believe) for this service. You'll have to take with you a short, concise typed and signed statement basically stating that you lost all your documents and have no other way of proving citizenship.

In my case the postal worker was a little grumpy about the additional work, but processed it efficiently and knew exactly what I was talking about. I requested expedited service and received the replacement passport within 1 week.

Luckily you've already held a passport, so your info is already in the US State Dept's system (enabling them to conduct the file search) allowing for a simple and fast solution to your dilemma. If, however, you had never applied for a passport and lose your naturalization certificate then your only recourse would be to apply for a replacement certificate and then brace yourself for a frustrating and agonizingly long wait for USCIS to review your application.

For those of you that have a naturalization certificate but have never applied for a passport, APPLY FOR ONE ASAP! If you lose the certificate you lose your only proof of citizenship and will have to endure a long winded torturous experience with the immigration authorities.

Thanks DENG890, I went to US Passport office, told them my situation, gave me papers to fill out(search file request, passport stolen/lost report) including an application to apply for new passport, gave them 2 passport picture, and valid ID and of course I paid $60 for the search file and $101.00 for my passport and they told me to check back in 6 weeks the most. Not only it saved me $380 some for my New Naturalization, its faster too compared to 6 months at the most wait for my Naturalization!! So yes, it helped my situation that I got my US passport after I got my Naturalization Certificate..