Lost OCI Card

serendipman

Please Help! I lost my OCI card. I am due to fly to India on Dec 22nd. Of course the OCI sticker is on the passport, but I am told that they may not allow me without the card. How can I get an OCI card in a few working days?

Thanks in advance!

Sanjeev

Hi,

I faced this situation. Hope my expereince helps you. Even though I have OCI stamp on my passport, Airlines didn't allow me to board the flight as I don't have OCI booklet with me.

To my knowlede, there is no way you can get OCI documents quickly. From Indian consulate, get 6 months visitor visa to go to India. Meanwhile, either before you go to India or after coming back to India, apply for OCI duplicate. I got a 6 months visitor visa and traveling to India today.

good luck
srn

Hello all

When i arrived in india, i did not have my expired passport with the lifelong visa in it.

I was able to get a temporary landing facility or visa on arrival, for 15 days.

Immigration officials assured me that if i was to get my expired passport couriered to me within that time, i would be fine, since the visa would still be applicable.

Now I have my expired passport and my new passport, BUT I DO NOT HAVE the OCI card (small blue single page passport type)

The officials here at mumbai (not my port of entry...i.e delhi) say that i can be detained at the airport when trying to leave if i overstay the 15 days.
This situation is worsened since i do not have the OCI card.

(note as previously mentioned...i have the valid visa in the old passport)

Please please please...

any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Right now..the plan of action is to travel to delhi Foreigh Regional Registration Office and seek their advice....
This is costly and more importantly...time consuming...my 15 days are limited...only 5 more left...

rushilp2,
Tuzee great ho. You landed in India with new USA passport without OCI card. No u-visa no OCI you are 100% American. You must be having some charm/talent that you got 15 days visa on arrival. How much did you pay for it ??/

Since you are going to Delhi visit both Chief Immigration officer and Min of Home Affairs and request for their help. Meanwhile you can get your OCI scanned and sent to you by email. Then have it couriered to you. If you go to Chief Immigration Officer with copy of OCI Card and say that it is already in Courier, i am sure he will extend 15 days visa.

madh4,

Sorry i was not clear.
When i landed in india, i did have the OCI booklet...no U-visa. They gave me the 15 days temporary landing facility based only on the OCI booklet.

Now...I got the U-Visa, but somehow....somewhere, I dont know, the OCI booklet has been lost.

I dont have a scan of it anywhere.

I need to get another 15 days in india. The officials at mumbai say they canot do anything since my 15 days was granted by delhi and only delhi can change / extend it.

Based on that...I am going to the FRRO office there, to see what they can do...

any ideas? or helpful suggestions?

madh4,

Sorry i was not clear.
When i landed in india, i did have the OCI booklet...no U-visa. They gave me the 15 days temporary landing facility based only on the OCI booklet.

Now...I got the U-Visa, but somehow....somewhere, I dont know, the OCI booklet has been lost.

I dont have a scan of it anywhere.

I need to get another 15 days in india. The officials at mumbai say they canot do anything since my 15 days was granted by delhi and only delhi can change / extend it.

Based on that...I am going to the FRRO office there, to see what they can do...

any ideas? or helpful suggestions?

still your info is not clear:
When you want to India:
1.Did you landed in India and Did not had OCI booklet?
2.Did you had your US passport with US visa?
3.if you had the OCI booklet do you mean that your US passport did not had U Visa?
4.Did you mean that you had OCI booklet and US passport without U visa and the US passport that had U visa was expired and you went to India with New US passport that did not had U visa?
** if the situation is as 4 then why you cant get your Expired US passport with U visa sent to you from US?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all

When i arrived in india, i did not have my expired passport with the lifelong visa in it.

I was able to get a temporary landing facility or visa on arrival, for 15 days.

Immigration officials assured me that if i was to get my expired passport couriered to me within that time, i would be fine, since the visa would still be applicable.

Now I have my expired passport and my new passport, BUT I DO NOT HAVE the OCI card (small blue single page passport type)

The officials here at mumbai (not my port of entry...i.e delhi) say that i can be detained at the airport when trying to leave if i overstay the 15 days.
This situation is worsened since i do not have the OCI card.

(note as previously mentioned...i have the valid visa in the old passport)

Please please please...

any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Right now..the plan of action is to travel to delhi Foreigh Regional Registration Office and seek their advice....
This is costly and more importantly...time consuming...my 15 days are limited...only 5 more left...

OP, R-E-L-A-X. You have a valid life long visa- dont you ? you have a valid passport that does not expire for the next few years= dont you ? That is exactly what the immigration officials told you in the first place: They gave you a couple of weeks to get hold of the actual visa; now that you have got it, relax.

Make sure you go to the local police station, whereever you are, and file a lost article complaint and get a copy of that. You may need it in the future. The local police wallahs may require a "fee". Remember that they are poorly paid, and give them what they want. Once you collect the police report, go to the local foreigners registration office and request that they cancel the temp. visa you have in your passport and ask them if you need to apply for a duplicate OCI in India or in your home country. If they say it ought to be done there, do it !! That is all you need to do.

Last edited by a moderator: