Lost my US Citizenship Certificate..

endl3ss1217

I recently lost my Citizenship Certificate. I did some search online and alot people said have to fill out the n-565 and mail it to Texas Service Center. The question is on the n-565 form, there is a section said "Certificate Number" and "A-Number". I dont know both number, so do i have to leave it blank? or i have to call the service center?

Can anyone teach me step by step to get my replace US Citizenship Certificate.
Also how long does it take to get my replace Certificate?

Thank you so much.

The certificate number is usually the same as your Alien number or the green card number. If you have a copy of any of your old documents, maybe even N400 filing, they should have it.
[EDIT: This is incorrect, Sorry.]

Last edited by a moderator:
all i had its a copy of my old alien card. so i just fill out the A-number ? and leave the Certificate Number blank ?

also for the Part 2. Type of application.
I just have to check the
a. My certificate is/was lost, stolen or destroyed (attach a copy of the certificate if you
have one.) Explain when, where and how.

right?

just give them what you've got

As long as you have something to locate your record it will be OK. Some N-565's are filed with only the name and date of birth available to track down the file.

As for finding an A-number, it may be helpful for some to know that family groups who immigrate together tend to have consecutive numbers.

So if mom, dad and kids all came together or adjusted together, that info can be used to ID your record.

Once they find a likely file it will have a copy of your certificate and they can compare pictures, too.

If worse came to worst, hopefully, your fingerprints haven't changed. If you got fingerprinted for immigtaion purposes (including the N-400) your prints will show up and show your A-number on a RAP Sheet.

There's another recent thread about whether or not to trash all your old immigration documentation on becoming a citizen. Of course, if you are not scrupulously careful to ensure you can't lose your naturalization certificate, this would be a reason to keep enough documentation to at least recover the A number, etc.

I suspect we probably divide into two groups ... those who keep everything, perfectly organized, in a safe or safety deposit box, and are so careful and meticulous by nature they never really need to fall back on this documentation. On the other hand would be the less careful, who lose documents and don't have backup documents because they're not that careful in the first place.

Off the topic. Just get both passport and passport card. Passport is THE document to prove your citizenship. So what if you lose your certificate or have trashed all your other docs?

Off the topic. Just get both passport and passport card. Passport is THE document to prove your citizenship. So what if you lose your certificate or have trashed all your other docs?

A passport, passport card, Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, or Consular Report of Birth can be administratively revoked (based on administrative agency discretion). Passports (book and card) have expiration dates, certificates don't.

Without the passport, international travel is hampered or made impossible.

A recognition of citizenship status by the State Department through the passport or Consular Report of Birth; or by USCIS through a certificate issued pursuant to an N-400 or N-600 cannot be administratively revoked even if the particular document is (it requires a federal court order based on facts established and proven by clear and convincing evidence to revoke status).

It is in a person's best interest to have more than a single item as proof of status.

I have a U.S. birth certificate, a U.S. birth certificate card, a U.S. passport and passport card, and a state issued ENHANCED ID (which required proof of USC to obtain and is valid for contiguous land border crossing).

I have a U.S. birth certificate, a U.S. birth certificate card, a U.S. passport and passport card, and a state issued ENHANCED ID (which required proof of USC to obtain and is valid for contiguous land border crossing).
Which state issues a birth certificate card and how does it look like? By the way, I also had an option to get an enhanced DL from Washington state, but what turned me away is the fact that it would cease to work for cross-border travel if I my moved to a different state. Passport card is a more universal identification/travel document in this respect.

My BC card is issued by the city, not the state. It is a photo ID, hard plastic like a credit card, wallet size.

A passport, passport card, Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, or Consular Report of Birth can be administratively revoked (based on administrative agency discretion).

A recognition of citizenship status by the State Department through the passport or Consular Report of Birth; or by USCIS through a certificate issued pursuant to an N-400 or N-600 cannot be administratively revoked even if the particular document is (it requires a federal court order based on facts established and proven by clear and convincing evidence to revoke status).

BigJoe, these sound contradictory. Can you please clarify?
Statement 1 implies that NC can be revoked.
Statement 2 implies that NC can not be revoked (pursuant to N400)

The piece of paper can be cancelled or revoked administratively but the determination of citizenship requires more. Stripping citizenship status requires a court order and cannot be done by DOS or USCIS on their own authority. The Executive branch can bestow citizenship through naturalization or recognition but it takes the Judicial branch to take it away. (Checks and balances at work.)

all i had its a copy of my old alien card. so i just fill out the A-number ? and leave the Certificate Number blank ?

also for the Part 2. Type of application.
I just have to check the
a. My certificate is/was lost, stolen or destroyed (attach a copy of the certificate if you
have one.) Explain when, where and how.

right?

Did you receive the certificate at the federal district courthouse? Maybe they can give you some info if you present some proof of who you say you are !!!