Lost My National Passport and Have N400 Interview

chicagoboy77

Registered Users (C)
Hey there,
I have my Citizenship interview in few weeks and I do not have my national passport.
I did all my travel last 5 years using my USCIS issued travel document which I have with me. I came in USA with a student visa but then applied and was granted a political asylum ever since my national passport has become useless and I started using travel documents.
My question is how big of a deal this will be for my interview? I can prove with a copy of my intial I94 my enterance to USA as a student and I can prove with a USCIS (INS) letter my change of status as an asylee and I can provide my travel document but can not provide my national passport...
some say that the national passport is not required for the interview while others say it is mandated. My Yellow letter only mentioned driver license and state ID??

It is irrelevant for the situation that you describe. And for any N-400 in general. A passport is only required to prove travel dates and then only when it is excessive and questionable travel. Additionally, it is a good sign that your request for asylum was real because you did not deal with your persecutor.

Hey there,
I have my Citizenship interview in few weeks and I do not have my national passport.
I did all my travel last 5 years using my USCIS issued travel document which I have with me. I came in USA with a student visa but then applied and was granted a political asylum ever since my national passport has become useless and I started using travel documents.
My question is how big of a deal this will be for my interview? I can prove with a copy of my intial I94 my enterance to USA as a student and I can prove with a USCIS (INS) letter my change of status as an asylee and I can provide my travel document but can not provide my national passport...
some say that the national passport is not required for the interview while others say it is mandated. My Yellow letter only mentioned driver license and state ID??

As BigJoe5 says, an LPR is not required to have a valid national passport or to have a national passport at all. Some IOs ask to see a passport at the interview but it is not really mandatory. Usually, they ask for a passport to verify the travel dates (which you have in your travel document). In my case I was asked for a passport because there was an issue regarding my legal name (the Russian patronimic). But ultimately not having a passport should not prevent your N-400 application from being approved. Moreover, as an asylee, it is quite understandable that you would not be in a possession of a valid passport.

However, it was unclear from your post if you actually lost your old passport or if you still have it but it has expired and is no longer valid. If the latter, it is a good idea to bring it to the interview, just in case, if the IO asks for it (but do not volunteer to show it unless explicitly asked for). If the passport is lost but you have a photocopy of it, again, I'd suggest bringing a photocopy, just in case.

During my interview, I asked the IO if he wants to see my passport and he said no. I had to update a recent trip to my N-400 application form and he still didn't ask to see my passport. So, don't think they will ask for your passport. Stay calm and bring whatever travel documents that you have, just in case.

Thanks for the Info it helps

the information your have provided for sure make me feel much better than before.