lost green card, need to provide proof for I-9 form

phoenixsaint

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

I've had my green card approved april of 2004. passport was stamped with temporary stamp which I provided to my employer for there I-9 form. After a few months I received the physical green card. I probably should have shown my employer the green card and updated the I-9 form then but, I forgot.

Now my employer says my I-9 form is expired because the temporary stamp on passport was expired. I need to show them my green card but I lost it during a recent vacation trip.

What can I do? I don't know if they'll accept a photocopy of the card (I'm looking to see if I have a photocopy), or the I-485 letter of approval and the paperwork that arrived with the physical green card....

Please help since they want to update my I-9 tomorrow.

Thanks.

For I-9 you only have to declare that you are a permanent resident and show your Social security card (it should have no employment restrictions) and your Driver license. You do not need to show either green card or temporary I-551 stamp.

nkm,

The thing is I haven't updated my SSN card to remove the not valid for employment restriction yet (I should have but I was lazy) and the HR wants the updated document tomorrow.

I'm worried that HR will want to see the actual GC and give me trouble if I cannot produce due to loss....

You are likely to be in trouble. You have no proof of work authorization at this time. HR is required to accept only original documents, not copies. Also they will not accept I-485 approval notices. Your only choice is to apply for a replacement green card and show the receipt notice as a temporary proof.
Sorry!

To get GC re-issued for lost GC card, do I need a police report at the
time of showing up for the biometrics appt?

Thanks.

Can someone answer my original questions:

1) do I need a police report for lost GC card? If so how do I do it?
2) for getting temporary passport stamping again, what other documemtns
do I need other than passport and I-485 approval notice? how can I
show them that I lost my GC?

Thanks.

phoenixsaint said:
Can someone answer my original questions:

1) do I need a police report for lost GC card? If so how do I do it?
---------- go to ploice station and report and get copy of report
2) for getting temporary passport stamping again, what other documemtns
do I need other than passport and I-485 approval notice?
----------------- take infopass and get passport stamp they will know with your A# that you have approved GC, take your DL with you as ID

how can I show them that I lost my GC?
----------- you have lost it how you can show??

**** also download the form I-90 from USCIS site fill up and send it to LA lockbox address with fees$185+$70 for new card

Thanks.

phoenixsaint said:
nkm,

The thing is I haven't updated my SSN card to remove the not valid for employment restriction yet (I should have but I was lazy)
-----------that is your mistake
and the HR wants the updated document tomorrow.

I'm worried that HR will want to see the actual GC and give me trouble if I cannot produce due to loss....

Go to the Social Security office immediately fill out required form it should show in system that you are a resident, file your I90 as well. The SSO might be able to issue a card same day.

Dear Corr,

Thanks for that angle, it might work. But wouldn't they ask for the GC when I'm trying to change the current SSN card?

guys,

I went to the SSA office, line was too long so I just picked up the application form for SSN card. On the instructions it specified that for alien status (people not U.s. citizens) must show GC. It also said all documents shown to SSA must be original documents and not copies.

You guys still think that they can check the system with my A# and confirm my LPR without the original GC card?

Thanks.

phoenixsaint said:
guys,

I went to the SSA office, line was too long so I just picked up the application form for SSN card. On the instructions it specified that for alien status (people not U.s. citizens) must show GC. It also said all documents shown to SSA must be original documents and not copies.

You guys still think that they can check the system with my A# and confirm my LPR without the original GC card?

Thanks.
No, they can't and won't. You will need either a green card or a passport with I-551 endorsement.