• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Lost documents

oluna

Registered Users (C)
Hi everybody! May be somebody was in similar situation and has some hints to escape :) Our baby documents were lost. We came through Atlanta airport as Green Card winners on May 2006. Our son was 4 month at this time. Until now three of us already got Green Cards, but baby boy is not even in the INS computer system. It is already more that half of year since we came. We have been numerous times to local INS office but they just repeat us that baby is not in the system and they can not help us. We also wrote letter to senator and director of INS office and still no respond. Please, if somebody has some idea - tell us. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
did you try the congressman and the immigration obmudsman? was the baby listed in one of your passports or did it have a separate passport? Where was his visa? was it annotated? Did the baby get a separate I-551 stamp in your passport and A#?

We wrote letter to congressman - no responce yet. Babies less that 1 year old does not have a visa - they automatically have a right to cross the border when one of the parents have a valid visa . Baby has its own passport and does not have any A# in it. Has a stamp in passport that applied for I-551. Still, he is not in federal data computer :(

Actually, we have got the call from local INS office with inquiry to send copy of baby's passport. And we got REAL name of the officer :) . Through a numerous phone calls I finally found phone number of local INS office (it is not listed openly) and asked this officer to phone. He called me back and said that they started working on case. They first tried to find the baby's case in Atlanta and then in Texas. they found one, but it appeared to be another baby case :confused: . Now they prepare new documents for new case and gonna send this case to Texas again. So, I hope somehow it will be dissolved.

Advise for people in the same situation: You local INS office should take care about this. Find on the web name and address of the local INS office director and write him a letter. Write on letter "copy one of two" and send this letter with the notification, so you will have proof that he got this letter. Write your senator and congressman. Bug them, so they will get tired og you and finally will start to do some movement to get rid of your case.

Actually your data should appear in the computer no more than 2 month after arriving. If 2 month are gone and you still are not in the computer - start fight!!!

Babies less that 1 year old does not have a visa - they automatically have a right to cross the border when one of the parents have a valid visa . Baby has its own passport and does not have any A# in it. Has a stamp in passport that applied for I-551.

As far as I know, all babies that are born before entering the US, do require and get a visa at the consulate, and they get their own A#. Good luck!

Not exactly. All babies who are older than 1 year require visa. Who are not yet - do not. And baby was born after the father - winner of the green card -already got his US visa. That why baby does not have A#. If he would - I think INS would already pull it out.
Now we are one more step forward - we got call from Custom and Border protection office and they asked us about baby's photo and birth certificate. So, things slowly are moving.
Thanks for concern.
Wish everybody the best.

Hi everybody, who time to time looks at this post :) . We recently have got an update - call from immigrational officer, who told us that baby-boy was issued green card. Yes!!!!!! But this is not the end of story - they have sent this card to an old address shown on initial green card winner forms. So, nobody lives there anymore. As a result this card was sent back to issueing Texas Center despite we updated our address in USCIS immediately when we moved. We pointed on mistake and were promised to send baby's green crd to a new address. Up to date - still waiting (1.5 week) :( But there is hope :)
Thanks again to everybody and good luck

A-a-a-n-n-d!!!! Here comes green card. :) Yes!!! We got it.:) :D After almost 1 year of struggle!!!
Thanks to everyone for the support.
Good luck and best wishes
:)