Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

thanks for the info, beacon29, i went to post office on sat and applied for expedite. So the passport shall be in my hand within 2 weeks, i guess.:p
should have gone to the agency though, was kinda lazy....For expedite service, it is 149.85+38.05=187.9 more expensive than the agency....oh well...
my trip will be around 20th, march, i have not booked ticket yet, since i have to be certain...:rolleyes:
BTW, the oath ceremony info for the newbies: dont get there so early, especially for the 9am ones, i got there 845am, (even the paper stated to be present at 8am, the actual ceremony will start at 9), the entire time when i sat there i was playing video games on my phone and talking to my neighbor...hehe:D

You need to go to Passport Agency office on Wilshire. Schedule an appointment first. I was there today. They will charge you $160 by default (60 more than the regular processing fee). My passport will be ready by Tuesday. If you don't want to fork over extra 60 bucks ask them to process it using the regular process. I am beating myself over the head for it.

The window person did not ask too much about my travel, I had a printout of my itenary but that was enough for her.

For those attending the oath, make sure to bring a pen with you so that you can fill the voter registration and passport forms while you wait. I played video games on my phone for 1.5 hours before the ceremony started.

GUYS

I was supposed to be scheduled for the Feb 26th Oath ceremony but I never got my oath letter. Today I get a letter stating I missed the ceremony. Do you know if I can reschedule? What are the options to contact USCIS customer service to get to talk to an agent or IO

Thanks

GUYS

I was supposed to be scheduled for the Feb 26th Oath ceremony but I never got my oath letter. Today I get a letter stating I missed the ceremony. Do you know if I can reschedule? What are the options to contact USCIS customer service to get to talk to an agent or IO

Thanks
Get an info pas and go to your local field office, if you live in LA are go to LA field office, If you live in San Bernardino area go to san bernardino field office. Take your OL along with the envelope that shows the day it was mailed to you. They will send you another letter.

thanks for the info, beacon29, i went to post office on sat and applied for expedite. So the passport shall be in my hand within 2 weeks, i guess.:p
should have gone to the agency though, was kinda lazy....For expedite service, it is 149.85+38.05=187.9 more expensive than the agency....oh well...
my trip will be around 20th, march, i have not booked ticket yet, since i have to be certain...:rolleyes:
BTW, the oath ceremony info for the newbies: dont get there so early, especially for the 9am ones, i got there 845am, (even the paper stated to be present at 8am, the actual ceremony will start at 9), the entire time when i sat there i was playing video games on my phone and talking to my neighbor...hehe:D

If you are among the first one to be seated you will among the first ones to pick up your certificate and leave

just got my interview letter

Congratulations with passports and oath letters! I agree, it's very inspiring to see you guys reach the end of long journey! now you can move on and forget USCIS for good! as to me I will apply for i-130 for my mom, and still need to refresh my memory about that.

sirch320 how did your mother's i-130 affect your oath/passport process? do you make a copy of natz certificate before submitting it for SSN and for passport?

Hi musashi! let me answer your questions in order

1) you guessed right - the USCIS website has been showing very wrong information for over a year now, they promised to congress and various authorities to fix it, but we are still waiting. So don't pay attention to website. my first N400 that was denied half a year ago, is stills "received and pending" online.

2) i got my estimates based on people who applied in Oct-Nov 2008 to Los Angeles District Office. Don't compare your timeline to any other DO, (especially the speedy easy ones, like in Nebrasca ) only Los Angeles.

3) while it's hard to predict USCIS behaviour, I'd say we have 80% chance of this timeline (based on cases applied Oct-Nov 08):

PD-FD=1 month (walkin),
FD-IL - 1-1,5 month,
IL-ID - 1,5-2 month,
ID-OD = 1,5-2 months

so total from PD to OD anywhere from 5 to 7 months

once LA DO Dec 08 applicants get their ILs, or when more LA people join forum - prediction will be more accurate, but actually a lower level of people on forum - is usually the good news in itself, because people tend to join when something is wrong like current Oath Letter delay, or last year's backlog was very active time on forum. So I would say wait pay attention to this thread for next 3-4 weeks and you will have more accurate predictions.

You're right man, USCIS site is not accurate.. just got my interview letter now... Thanks a lot Feliz. :D goodluck to yours.. please keep me posted...

GUYS

Today I get a letter stating I missed the ceremony. Do you know if I can reschedule?

I received one of those "you missed it" letter when I missed my interview appointment (although I had already written requesting a new date). On it, it had a specific date to reply to to reschedule - what are the directions given on your letter?

Here is what it says

I received one of those "you missed it" letter when I missed my interview appointment (although I had already written requesting a new date). On it, it had a specific date to reply to to reschedule - what are the directions given on your letter?

"You were scheduled to appear for an oath ceremony for naturalization on Thu Feb 26 at 1:00 pm. Our records indicate that you failed to appear for this ceremony. You will be notified by USCIS of the date, place and time of your rescheduled oath ceremony."

I am still going to go for my Infopass in 2 weeks and will send out a letter too to Los Angeles CIS.

What did you have on your letter?

I am still going to go for my Infopass in 2 weeks and will send out a letter too to Los Angeles CIS.

What did you have on your letter?

I don't have the actual letter with me, but, it was words to the effect of
" you missed your interview, write to us at the address below within 30 days & explain why and we may reschedule you, if we don't hear from you your case will be administraviley closed".

I think your decision to go for an infopass and request rescheduling is good, also, it can't hurt to write, but, without an actual 'room number" or specific details on the addy, I think it can be hit & miss whether the letter ever reaches your file.

I do feel for you that this important letter went astray, but, at least it does state on the letter that you will be rescheduled. I hop it is sooner than later. Good Luck.

I just checked your timeline - your oath appointmenr was soon after your interview. No wonder you didn't realise the letter had gone astray.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, sirch320! it was very helpful!

do you have any parent visa threads/links saved in bookmarks? However thorough I read, I might still have missed something.

from your instruction - my tired half-asleep brain separated 4 steps (please correct me if I am wrong), out of them the crucial point is submitting the original natz cert - with passport application,
I will have to remember to do it very last, or at lease make extra copies of everything, and especially don't do it at the oath ceremony (?):

1) after the oath ceremony - make photocopies of naturalization certificate.
2) SSA office - fill the usual SSA form and show the original naturalization certificate - which they photocopy for their file.
3) local post office/passport agency - apply for passport: DL, passport application form, payment, two passport size photos, and original naturalization certificate. which they may hold for up to 4 weeks
4) for mom: mail the I-130 packet ASAP with the photocopies of naturalization certificate and birth certificate and the payment.

did you make color or black and white copy of natz. certificate?

I guess I am over-worrying about it, since copies of all document from before were fine in b/w, this one should be too, but now that it's taking so long to receive it - I am afraid I will make an A3 poster-size color copy on a highly-glossy paper with framing to mail with i-130... sorry, all this waiting is getting to me again :(

Hi Musashi, Can you post your timeline in your signature?

Hi, I was going to ask you too, and everyone who newly joined this forum - there is BIG RED LINK to a forum script in my signature that will take any user who clicks to his very own forum signature - please update your timelines even if it's approximate and if you can please write in your city's thread about once in 2 weeks, because that will add your signature to the thread automatically and keep everyone posted.

"You were scheduled to appear for an oath ceremony for naturalization on Thu Feb 26 at 1:00 pm. Our records indicate that you failed to appear for this ceremony. You will be notified by USCIS of the date, place and time of your rescheduled oath ceremony."

sorry to hear that, I agree with Auscal - that Infopass is best idea, but if a letter makes you feel safer - send it too - there is no harm.

For people waiting for OL - approximate plan "how to avoid missing Oath due to Oath letter lost in mail".
1) make friends with your postmen if possible, show what USCIS letter looks like (keep a copy of FL or NOA1), or even tape a copy to your mailbox - as a reminder.
2) if no OL 3 weeks after Interview and people who had interview before you haven't received OLs - start calling 800# twice a week for the first 3 weeks
When calling remember to use options 1-2-6 (may have changed?), and request to be transferred to the immigration officer - ask the officer about your OD and any OL has been mailed.
3) if still no phone OD confirmation or OL by 6th week after ID and people who had interview 2 weeks after you - started getting OLs - call 800# every day or so.
4) if officer said it was sent (he will also give you OD) - wait 10 days.
5) if still no letter after 10 days - it's most likely lost in the mail - make an Infopass appointment online - choose a date about 1 week before your Oath Date.
6) if the letter comes by infopass day - cancel infopass. if still no OL - it's 99.9% lost in mail - so go and request a duplicate.

Thank you, sirch320! it was very helpful!

1. do you have any parent visa threads/links saved in bookmarks? However thorough I read, I might still have missed something.

2. from your instruction - my tired half-asleep brain separated 4 steps (please correct me if I am wrong), out of them the crucial point is submitting the original natz cert - with passport application,
I will have to remember to do it very last, or at lease make extra copies of everything, and especially don't do it at the oath ceremony (?):

3. did you make color or black and white copy of natz. certificate?

(

1. http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=287605

2. You got it right.

3. I made color copies for my personal file and black and white copies for submission to USCIS for my mother's I-130.

thank you, sirch320! :)

musashi , wow, that was fast! and inspiring indeed :D

so, comparing to my previous estimate numbers
PD-FD -1 month (can be from 15 to 45 days - depending on walk-in)
FD-IL - 1-1,5 month,
IL-ID - 1,5-2 month,
ID-OD - 1,5-2 months
so total from PD to OD anywhere from 5 to 7 months

yours are
PD-FD -1 month (30 days)
FD-IL - 3 weeks (23 days)
IL-ID - 1 month and 3 weeks (50 days)
ID-OD - ....

based on that my optimistic hopes for my case are
PD-FD -3 weeks (22 days)
FD-IL - if it will be 3 weeks too, then IL = March 16
IL-ID - if it will be 1 month and 3 weeks (50 days) too, then ID =May 7
but I am gonna keep my "average expectation" estimates in my signature :rolleyes:

PS it's amazing to think that the waiting period between FD and IL used to be the longest - about 10 months for July 2007 filers, and now it can be as short as 3 weeks, while it's the Oath that's delayed

on the other hand :(, you mailed your package before the surge of Jan 22, while I mailed it in the very end of surge. Considering that some people were waiting to mail since December, there could be another "Lockbox" backlog