Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

To SyedNaqvi

SyedNaqvi said:
Hi fchan100,
Congrats on your naturalization, I have a question that you have a name change in your application but your oath ceromony took place in LA convention center, my understanding is that any oath related to name change is conducted at US District Court. isn't so?
I also have a name change in my application.

My Timeline
PD 6/10/05
FP 07/26/05
Int 10/24/05 G325 Pending
Oath?????

Hi SyedNaqvi -

It does not matter where you take the oath. The oath, in most cases, is administrated by the court and the court itself has the authority to grant your name change. For my case, my oath in LA convention center was conducted by the US District Court and they basically granted my name change. When I picked my naturalization certificate, I had a piece of paper attached indicating that my name change was granted. I used that paper, together with my nat cert, to do my name change processes afterwards.

Hope it helps.

-fchan100-

fchan100 said:
Hi SyedNaqvi -

When I picked my naturalization certificate, I had a piece of paper attached indicating that my name change was granted. I used that paper, together with my nat cert, to do my name change processes afterwards.

-fchan100-

I intent to sponsor my parents. That piece of paper can be used as proof of name change and also to show that initially, before naturalization, we had the same last name?

Pg2006

When you sponsor your parents, you will need to have your birth certificate submitted, where it will show who your parents are. When you submit your petition, you will need to submit both the name change and nat cert. I am not an expert, but that's how I submitted my I-130 petition for my parents.

-fchan100-

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeF said:
I had my interview today, in the Santa Ana office. It went well, I passed everything and now have to wait for the oath letter.
The appointment was for 12:05pm (why they do this 5 minutes past the hour only they know.) I was there around 11:30, and waited until about 12:15.
I originally didn't indicate a name change, but did that at the interview. The examiner then went through the application, confirming name, address, SSN, etc.
She didn't want to see any tax returns or tax transcripts. I had one more traffic ticket, and told her about it and showed her the ticket and the canceled check imprint. She didn't want to see any court documents.
I decided that I want the oath without the "So help me god" phrase at the end. For me, this is pretty much an issue of separation of church and state. Anyway, she asked a supervisor about it, and came back saying that this can't be removed from the oath. I was about to argue with her about that, since it is in the law (8CFR337). Her boss soon came by and corrected himself, so I am going to be able to say the oath without that phrase.
The 10 questions were from the list of questions on the CIS website, so no surprise there. The sentence I had to write was ridiculously short, "Today I am going shopping" or something like that.
The whole thing lasted about 45 minutes. She gave me the Interview Results letter and at around 1pm, I was out of there.
All in all, a smooth experience.
JoeF,
CONGRATS !! Hope you get the oath letter soon.

Has anyone yet received their Oath letter for the ceremony in March ?

My details
PD 7/11/05
FP 8/10/05
ID 1/11/06
Oath ??

JoeF said:
I had my interview today, in the Santa Ana office. It went well, I passed everything and now have to wait for the oath letter.
The appointment was for 12:05pm (why they do this 5 minutes past the hour only they know.) I was there around 11:30, and waited until about 12:15.
I originally didn't indicate a name change, but did that at the interview. The examiner then went through the application, confirming name, address, SSN, etc.
She didn't want to see any tax returns or tax transcripts. I had one more traffic ticket, and told her about it and showed her the ticket and the canceled check imprint. She didn't want to see any court documents.
I decided that I want the oath without the "So help me god" phrase at the end. For me, this is pretty much an issue of separation of church and state. Anyway, she asked a supervisor about it, and came back saying that this can't be removed from the oath. I was about to argue with her about that, since it is in the law (8CFR337). Her boss soon came by and corrected himself, so I am going to be able to say the oath without that phrase.
The 10 questions were from the list of questions on the CIS website, so no surprise there. The sentence I had to write was ridiculously short, "Today I am going shopping" or something like that.
The whole thing lasted about 45 minutes. She gave me the Interview Results letter and at around 1pm, I was out of there.
Hi Joef, Congratulations for your smooth interview and good luck for your oath, Can you please share more deatails ,if I'm not wrong I remember you from Political asylum forumsome years back,I really admire your knowledge about almost all the laws and deep discussions in that forum,since I was also an asylee and applied for naturlazion in Norhern Viriginia,any input regarding Gc through asylum aplying for Natularzation will help a lot of people in asylum forum too.
Thanks alot in advance.

anybody whose case is pending due to name check, background check, BSCIS check and its been more than 3 months since interview, got any response from INS.

SyedNaqvi said:
anybody whose case is pending due to name check, background check, BSCIS check and its been more than 3 months since interview, got any response from INS.

seems like name check / background check won't be cleared that soon withint 3 months since interview...

BSCIS check might be cleared soon after interview. Mine was.

xyz5001 said:
JoeF,
CONGRATS !! Hope you get the oath letter soon.

Has anyone yet received their Oath letter for the ceremony in March ?

My details
PD 7/11/05
FP 8/10/05
ID 1/11/06
Oath ??
Has anyone received the Oath letter for the March ceremony ? Will appreciate a reply.

JoeF said:
Congratulations, Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!
Better late than never, right? ;)
Glad you did not get stuck in name check limbo. :)

fchan100

fchan100 said:
Hi SyedNaqvi -

It does not matter where you take the oath. The oath, in most cases, is administrated by the court and the court itself has the authority to grant your name change. For my case, my oath in LA convention center was conducted by the US District Court and they basically granted my name change. When I picked my naturalization certificate, I had a piece of paper attached indicating that my name change was granted. I used that paper, together with my nat cert, to do my name change processes afterwards.

Hope it helps.

-fchan100-

what did you mean by "to do my name change processes afterwards"?

did you mean by the SSN / DL / banks.. and others?

fchan100 -- part 2

fchan100 said:
When you sponsor your parents, you will need to have your birth certificate submitted, where it will show who your parents are. When you submit your petition, you will need to submit both the name change and nat cert. I am not an expert, but that's how I submitted my I-130 petition for my parents.

-fchan100-

did you have to submit your original nat cert and the name change paper with the I-130 form?

i am planning to submit the I-130 for my "wife" (well, once we get married! hee hee). Do i need to submit the original nat cert?

speeding tickets and other tickets needed for interview

Hi gurus,

I have few questions about the doc needed for interview. If anybody knows the answer, please reply.

1) speeding tickets --> In my application i didn't mention about speeding tickets, although I got that several times in the past. Now i don't have any record of those tickets. How can i get hold of those records? do i need to get these record from every city i lived in? I will really appreciate if anybody can shed any light on the process of getting past ticket records.

2) tax informations --> how many years of tax record i should bring with me for the interview and how can i get record of past filing from IRS?

-- thanks

strike7 said:
Hi gurus,

I have few questions about the doc needed for interview. If anybody knows the answer, please reply.

1) speeding tickets --> In my application i didn't mention about speeding tickets, although I got that several times in the past. Now i don't have any record of those tickets. How can i get hold of those records? do i need to get these record from every city i lived in? I will really appreciate if anybody can shed any light on the process of getting past ticket records.

get the ticket info / payment from the local county / police department where you got the tickets from.

2) tax informations --> how many years of tax record i should bring with me for the interview and how can i get record of past filing from IRS?

i got 7 yrs tax transcripts from IRS. check out www.irs.gov or use SEARCH function in this website

Completed my interview @ El Monte

My wife and I had our interviews today (Feb 14) and everything went smoothly. My appointment was at 12.30 and my wife's was at 1.00 but she was called before I was. Both our interviews lasted for maybe 15 mins and we were both done by 1.15. I had prepared an extensive list of documents based on the info from this site but the officer did not look at anything except my passport, driver's license and greencard. It was a great relief as the officer said my application is approved and I will receive my oath letter within the next 3 months.

One question: When we went in, there were a lot of people waiting and received a oath letter for March 3rd. I was hoping that we will also get the oath letter the same day and also asked the interviewing officer about it. He said that was a different procedure or that their interview was in the morning or something like that. Did anyone who attended interview for N400 in El Monte got the oath letter the same day?

Good luck to all,

Rajesh

ladude said:
Just wondering loud...
Yes, it is surprising. Please see the psoting from rajeshsivan in this thread. Looks like some people were getting Oath letters the same day for March 3. Go figure ???