Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

Oath next !!

Hey Guys, I am glad to announce to you that I passed the citizenship interview on May 19th. It was a sweet deal. At the end, the officer congratulated me and handed me a passport application packet, and he said that I should be receiveing my oath letter in 2 to 3 months.
Now, I know it usually take less than that. Can I expect it to be on June?
Thanks,
Abdul,

--------------
My time line:
PD 1/3/05
FP 3/9/05
Interview 5/19/05

Hey Anahit,
Did your daughter submit a proof of travel (ticket) within 14 days, to get the expedited service, or did she just have to pay the extra $60 and no questions asked?
Please advice. I'm planning to travel by early August, and the oath ceremony would be, i'd say by June 23d. Shall I take the chance to apply by regular service (at the post office), or is it too risky?
Thanks
Abdul.

Anahit said:
My daughter just called: she got her passport. So, with expedite service + two-way overnight delivery it took 8 days. I got worried this morning, and requested the status of her application on-line. Well, I don't have to wait for their response on this one, do I?

Last edited by a moderator:
abdullah1 said:
Hey Anahit,
Did your daughter submit a proof of travel (ticket) within 14 days, to get the expedited service, or did she just have to pay the extra $60 and no questions asked?
Please advice. I'm planning to travel by early August, and the oath ceremony would be, i'd say by June 23d. Shall I take the chance to apply by regular service (at the post office), or is it too risky?
Thanks
Abdul.
You can request an expedite service with or without an overnight delivery even if you are not traveling anywhere.
However, you need to show your ticket if you are traveling within 14 day period, and you are applying at the regional post office, not in your local post office.
We applied for her passport on May 2nd. We're traveling on June 4th. So, it wasn't in 14 days, which means we couldn't have applied in the regional post office. Otherwise, for the same fee, we could have gotten her passport in 1 or 2 days, and even the same day.
You don't want to take a chance by doing with regular service option.
Regular service ($97.00) might take up to 6 weeks.
Expedite service ($97.00+$60.00) might take up to 3 weeks.
Expedite service with two-way overnight delivery ($97.00+$60+$30.00) might take up to 2 weeks. If your travel date is within 14 day period, you can get your passport the same day for the same fee by applying at the regional post office.

abdullah1 said:
Hey Guys, I am glad to announce to you that I passed the citizenship interview on May 19th. It was a sweet deal. At the end, the officer congratulated me and handed me a passport application packet, and he said that I should be receiveing my oath letter in 2 to 3 months.
Now, I know it usually take less than that. Can I expect it to be on June?
Thanks,
Abdul,

--------------
My time line:
PD 1/3/05
FP 3/9/05
Interview 5/19/05

My husband's interview was on 3/17 (PD: 11/?/04 can't remember now). He didn't receive his oath letter for 5/26 until last Friday. Some people seem to have received it faster than that, but I'd say June is too soon. July is more likely...

impact of name changing?

priority date: 12/13
finger print:1/18
interview: 4/18
oath: still pending

I have apply for name change, does anyone know if this will impact and delay receiving oath notice? thanks.

do you know if your name check is cleared. did you get the impression from the interview officers that decision was made on your case and none was pending?

name change requires judge to sign and it will become offical under the law. may be they are waiting for a slot for you. also, it is only a bit more than 5 weeks since you got your interview. may be just have to be patient.

nl0922 said:
priority date: 12/13
finger print:1/18
interview: 4/18
oath: still pending

I have apply for name change, does anyone know if this will impact and delay receiving oath notice? thanks.

Your PD actually is quite late. I wonder if that is the problem. (In other words, you simply got an interview earlier than it should have).

"Green" Worksheet

Hey Guys,
Only when I got home after my N400 interview at El Monte Office, I realized that I kept in my pocket the "green" worksheet that the officer (in uniform) hand to you to fill out your personal info, and forgot to give it to the interviewing officer (he didn't ask me for it either). The form does not have a number, but simply says at the top "Certificate Preparation Sheet And Oath Declaration".
Is is ok to just forget about it, or will it impact the processing of the oath letter. And should I have to send it, does it make sense to send it directly to the interviewing officer at El Monte, or to the LA office rather? Please advice.
Thanks guys,
Abdul.

abdullah1 said:
Hey Guys,
Only when I got home after my N400 interview at El Monte Office, I realized that I kept in my pocket the "green" worksheet that the officer (in uniform) hand to you to fill out your personal info, and forgot to give it to the interviewing officer (he didn't ask me for it either). The form does not have a number, but simply says at the top "Certificate Preparation Sheet And Oath Declaration".
Is is ok to just forget about it, or will it impact the processing of the oath letter. And should I have to send it, does it make sense to send it directly to the interviewing officer at El Monte, or to the LA office rather? Please advice.
Thanks guys,
Abdul.

The officer who interviewed me asked me to double check the info on that sheet carefully. He said that was the info that would go to the certificate

HELP! People who have been to the Pomona or Los Angeles Oath Ceremony (or other locations), please help me out. My husband is scheduled for the ceremony tomorrow morning and he just lost his wallet today...which had his license in it!! Can you believe it? Will they ask for his license for identification tomorrow? or is the permanent residence card good enough for identification? His passport has expired so that won't work as another form of id. I'm really concerned that they won't let him in tomorrow because he doesn't have his license. Please share your experience on whether you had to show your license to get in so I can get a better idea what we need to do. Thank you!

Sorry that I'm posting this here again. But I know a lot of people from LA are subscribed to this thread...just want to see if I have a better luck of getting any response tonight.

mai14cc said:
HELP! People who have been to the Pomona or Los Angeles Oath Ceremony (or other locations), please help me out. My husband is scheduled for the ceremony tomorrow morning and he just lost his wallet today...which had his license in it!! Can you believe it? Will they ask for his license for identification tomorrow? or is the permanent residence card good enough for identification? His passport has expired so that won't work as another form of id. I'm really concerned that they won't let him in tomorrow because he doesn't have his license. Please share your experience on whether you had to show your license to get in so I can get a better idea what we need to do. Thank you!

Sorry that I'm posting this here again. But I know a lot of people from LA are subscribed to this thread...just want to see if I have a better luck of getting any response tonight.
Relax. All you need is your permanent resident card and the oath letter.

LA Oath Cermony schedule and name change question

I filed the N400 and request to have my name changed (to include my "English" name). Does the oath cermony have to be in the United States District Court rather than L.A. County Fairgrounds - Fairplex or Los Angeles Convention Center?

have anyone has experiences in name change and would affect their oath cermony schedule because the oath cermony has to be in District Court (I just assume it)?

Thanks for your reply pacific1. I sure hope so.

ocworker, name change doesn't determine the oath ceremony location. My husband had a name change and he is going to the ceremony in pomona.

mai14cc said:
Thanks for your reply pacific1. I sure hope so.

ocworker, name change doesn't determine the oath ceremony location. My husband had a name change and he is going to the ceremony in pomona.

thanks. how did your husband's ceremony go today? can you share your experience with us?

Waiting for 2+ months for Finger Print Notice in Los Angeles

I sent my application for citizenship in early march this year and by the middle of march I got a letter from the INS confirming the receipt of application. I have been waiting for FP notice since then. From the posts I see that people in LA are getting FP notice within a month of application. Its been two months now for me. Is this normal or should i contact the INS ?

Thanks,
Rajesh

rhegde said:
I sent my application for citizenship in early march this year and by the middle of march I got a letter from the INS confirming the receipt of application. I have been waiting for FP notice since then. From the posts I see that people in LA are getting FP notice within a month of application. Its been two months now for me. Is this normal or should i contact the INS ?

Thanks,
Rajesh

I think it really depends on ASC. If you are still worried, I recall someone said you can go to CIS office and they actually have all the info in their computer.

ocworker said:
thanks. how did your husband's ceremony go today? can you share your experience with us?

The ceremony was a very long and tiresome process. Of course, I'm sure no one minded being that it's one of the most important event in their lives. Anyways, we were outside of fairplex pomona by 8 am for the 9 am ceremony. Parking was 6 dollars. It took us about 45 minutes to park and get to the ceremony building. It's a good 15 to 20 minutes walk from the parking lot to the building itself. Therefore, my husband didn't get in to the building until about 8:45 am. Be there super early!! They collected only the permanent residence card and the oath letter from my husband since he didn't have any travel paper or reentry permit. The ceremony itself lasted about an hour. After that, they asked family and friends to leave the building and it took about another 45 minutes from there for people to exit and get their certificate. People who are submitting your N400, make sure you have a nice photo that you want to use because to our surprise, they actually put that photo on your certificate. Also, if you can somehow coordinate well with your family and friends before getting in the building, you can actually sit very, very close to them for photos and that sort of things. Getting out was also very time consuming since 3,500 cars are trying to exit the parking lot at the same time. I believe we were out by about 11 am. We sure are glad that it's over now. What an experience that was!

One question for these who have received oath letters: If you case status is available online, does the last updated date get changed right before you received the oath letter? I know for my case, the date was updated before I got my interview letter.

Starlight, I had my oath yesterday. I just checked my status online. It still says
Your N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION was received on October 5, 2004. We mailed you a receipt with information about processing. It is taking between 330 and 360 days for us to process this kind of case. We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete.