Location of filing

ak1276

Registered Users (C)
If I just moved to a new place 10 days back and want to apply for my citizenship(am now within the 90 days window), can I do so?
Is there any minimum number of days you have to be living at a place to file in the corresponding office?

You have to have at least 90 days of residence in the district area from which you are applying from. If you moved within the same district area, then you can apply. If not, you'll have to establish residency first.

If I just moved to a new place 10 days back and want to apply for my citizenship(am now within the 90 days window), can I do so?
Is there any minimum number of days you have to be living at a place to file in the corresponding office?

You haven't mentioned if it is in same state (DO area) or a different one?
If it is a different one, then you need to wait.
Also did you notify USCIS of your change of address (AR 11)?

Enter the new zip code in the link below to see if the new address falls in the same DO..
https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=LO

No it will not be in the same DO. In fact it will be a different state. I do not want to wait 3 months for this...I guess it may be best to use a friend's address as permanent address and apply from there.
That will mean I will have to fly in for fingerprinting, etc. Can someone tell me how many trips I will have to make due to physical appointments in the whole process?

Just remember that by passing off your friend's address as yours and signing your application under oath, you are potentially committing perjury.

No it will not be in the same DO. In fact it will be a different state. I do not want to wait 3 months for this...I guess it may be best to use a friend's address as permanent address and apply from there.
That will mean I will have to fly in for fingerprinting, etc. Can someone tell me how many trips I will have to make due to physical appointments in the whole process?

2 or 3 depends on if that place combines the interview with the oath.

- So it is once(hopefully) each for fingerprinting, interview and oath?
- Can you request FP to be done in a different place citing temporarily being located there for some work, etc?

- So it is once(hopefully) each for fingerprinting, interview and oath?
- Can you request FP to be done in a different place citing temporarily being located there for some work, etc?

- minimum two. For finger printing, you will be asked to goto the nearest ASC (application support center) or DO, whichever is closer. For interview, you need to goto the DO office. If you get the same day oath - you need not go again for oath (but most of the DOs don't do same day oaths. It depends on your DO and your time of interview).
- I think as long as it is in same DO area, they may allow. Not sure if they will allow the FP to be done in a different DO jurisdiction.

I guess it may be best to use a friend's address as permanent address and apply from there.

VERY RISKY business. At the interview, you will be asked under OATH, to state your current address. If you get caught out, I suspect it will be a deportation offense as that is NOT Good Moral Character lying under Oath.
There is no telling what information the IO may have available on the computer and they will have gone through your application before calling you into the office.

I strongly suggest you wait that 3 months for residency. The speed they are processing now it really should not make that much difference. Remember also, with a review of your case and good cause, they can take the Citizenship away from you any time after you get it. That would then mean deportation. You are not dealing with Sears or JC Penny credit card department here.

You need to think this through thoroughly.

VERY RISKY business. At the interview, you will be asked under OATH, to state your current address. If you get caught out, I suspect it will be a deportation offense as that is NOT Good Moral Character lying under Oath.
There is no telling what information the IO may have available on the computer and they will have gone through your application before calling you into the office.

I strongly suggest you wait that 3 months for residency. The speed they are processing now it really should not make that much difference. Remember also, with a review of your case and good cause, they can take the Citizenship away from you any time after you get it. That would then mean deportation. You are not dealing with Sears or JC Penny credit card department here.

You need to think this through thoroughly.

I echo that also, and recommend you wait the three months.

Thanks. I understand the concern around falsifying information.
What if I stay back at my current place where I have lived for 2 years till I file and move right after i.e. let's say 5 days after I file my application?
Will that delay my application processing like it being moved by the authorities to the other DO, etc.?