Life Without Interim Ead

Should USCIS reconsider the new NO interim rule?

• Yes

Votes: 137 87.3%
  • No

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • I Don't know?

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
EAD status update

I'm now waiting for USCIS to send me my EAD card (aprox. 30 days). Beginning of June 2007 will be my 6th month since I received my receipt. So, if you know you will need a renewal at some point, please file your paper work 7-8 months ahead to avoid headache and stress. Again, please ask your Congresswoman/Congressman to help expedite your case or at least they can get useful info for you (unlike those officers at USCIS offices). I will update more when I actually have the new EAD card in my hand.

My EAD is expiring in July first week. I went to USCIS to get my Interim EAD but there was no positive resonse. They said they will send an inquiry. Does someone has fax number for National Benefit Center where I can tell them to expedite my request. Also is it advisable to contact Congressman?

here is my experience with EAD renewal

My EAD (3rd one) was expiring June 1st.

Efiled: March 25th
FP appt: Apr 16th
LUD date stayed at Apr 16th until June 1st.
Called up my congressman office June 1st.
2nd and 3rd was weekend.
congressman office contacted with liason at USCIS Nebraska on June 4th.
LUD date changed to June 4th immediately.
EAD renewal approved June 5th effective same day. Back to work on 5th.

I finally learnt that I should file 90 to 100 days in advance from next time without any excuse.

same situation

My EAD (3rd one) was expiring June 1st.

Efiled: March 25th
FP appt: Apr 16th
LUD date stayed at Apr 16th until June 1st.
Called up my congressman office June 1st.
2nd and 3rd was weekend.
congressman office contacted with liason at USCIS Nebraska on June 4th.
LUD date changed to June 4th immediately.
EAD renewal approved June 5th effective same day. Back to work on 5th.

I finally learnt that I should file 90 to 100 days in advance from next time without any excuse.

simshyam,
I am in same boat. EAD expires soon, and no signs of renewal coming.

what did you say to congressman? how they were able to quickly react? any advise will help me.

thanks in advance
laborvictim

how much time in advance can you file renewal EAD?

My paralegal told me that I cannot apply more than 4 months in advance, before the expiry of my current ead.

But I heard from my friends that their employer has been filing for renewal ead 6 months in advance.

Does uscis stipulate that you cannot file more than 4 months before the expiry of current ead (or is it 6 months)? Is there any link to official policy from uscis that someone can copy/paste here?

Expedited EAD by Fax

My EAD application is about to pass 90 days (85 corssed), so i called TSC and they gave me the fax number to fax them for expediting the EAD approval. Thanks for posting the format on this forum. I faxed a letter on Tuesday 06/19 and i havent received any update/LUD yet.. any idea how long do they take just to look at the fax ?

Any body has any experiences.. what should be the next step if this does not work..

"On June 23, 2007, we mailed you a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status. Please follow any instructions on the notice. Your new permanent resident card should be mailed within 60 days following this registration or after you complete any ADIT processing referred to in the welcome notice, whichever is later. If you move before you get your new card call customer service. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register."

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYAAAAAH!

PD: April 2003
Applied for 4th EAD on May 25th. Expiring on July 12th.
I-485 AD - June 23rd I assume. Am I correct?

I am in complete disbelief.

EAD Renewal & Expiry Date

I called up USCIS customer service regarding same. They informed me that if the EAD renewal is currently pending and you have the receipt for it, you are eligible to work. Is this true ?

After some reasearch, I found following:-

M-274 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/m-274.pdf)

Instruction for Completing Form I-9
(Employment Eligibility Verification Form)

Page 20 (page 22 of pdf) seem to suggest same.
Text reads as follows:-

"Part Eight
Acceptable Documents for verifying Employment Eligibility.

To establish both identity and employment eligibility, a person can present a Passport,Alien Registration Card, or one of the other documents from List A.

If a person is unable to present the required document(s) within 3 business days of the date employment begins, he or she must present (within 3 business days) a receipt showing that he or she has applied for the document. The person then must present the actual document within 90 days of the date of employment begins. The person must have indicated
on or before the time employment began, by having checked an appropriate box in Section 1, the he or she is already eligible to be employed in United States.

List A

* Unexpired Employment Authorization Card (INS Form I-688A)"

EAD expires soon

My EAD renewal was received on April 13, still not approved yet. I took an infopass appointment in SF office today, the service officer told me that as long as you have proof of renewal for your EAD, you are ok to work from uscis point of view. However, she also mentioned that some employer might be very cautious and insist that you need to have the approved EAD in order to continue working.

EAD renewal approved

This morning, I got email from uscis that my EAD renewal was approved and the card is on the way. This may be the result of infopass appointment that I had yesterday, the service officer made some kind of request to NSC based on that my EAD renewal was filed 90 days ago.

getting live person while calling USCIS customer service

:) While calling wait when a voice says - if you are dialing from a rotary phone please stay on the line. Pretend you are dialing from a rotary phone, after some messages, you will be transfered to a live person. Usually they will start speaking to you in Spanish - I say that I don't speak spanish and rep immidiately responds in english - now you have a live person.:D

Don't care now!!!

I am sitting on an expired EAD for the last one month (still working though). Just taking my chances I guess till my employer doesn't care or bother to check. I applied for renewal later than I should have (<1 month before expiration). Hopefully, it should be okay. I-485 RFE received a almost same time I applied for I-765, to reconfirm employment on a company letterhead with joining date/salary etc. as well as I-94. For my wife they asked for a marriage certificate (again). I am just sick of this wait of 5+ years and living in constant FUD.. I don't care anymore!!!!

Hello everyone,

My additional 240 days for the interim EAD are about to expire. Renewal EAD application pending for more than 18 months - when contacted the CIS, all they said was that they are doing security checks (oh puh-leeeeez). Any ideas on what could possibly be done? I have written to the congressman and made CIS appointments. Does anyone know a fax number for the Vermont Service number for expediting EAD requests or something like that?

FAX number for NSC please

Can someone sharethe FAX number for NSC to request for expediting the EAD renewal please?
Thanks

Things Will Get Better if we Try.

Hi Guys,
Long time no see! I just came back from my vacation abroad after 8 years inside the states:) . Now I read all the posts since I left and I see that most of the questions are about expediting and how to do it. The short answer to that is:

*-visit the congress man/woman office in person. take all your paper with you. they welcome walk-in vistors so you don't need an appointment. better to go than to send a letter or e-mail
*-If you can't find the fax # for your service center, send a letter by mail. Make sure to register your letter
*-Keep in calling customer service 800 # and ask for a " service request"

I wish you all the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi hossamny,
Excellent thread. Appreciate all the hard work you have put in..

I am also a victim of delayed EAD processing.
Basically I filed my EAD at VSC in Mid April that got transferred to TSC on May 22nd.

I have an infopass appoinmtent tomorrow for interim EAD.
Do you think the immigration officer will consider 90 days from date of transfer or initial receipt date.

I have contacted the local congressman yesterday and they have promised to look into my case.

When I spoke to an immigration officer at TSC few days backm they just said that my case is with a supervisor who is also looking at my I-485.
My I-485 is stuck in Name check and I thinking that it may be the reason why he is also not approving my EAD..

I have also sent an expedite letter to TSC. Don't know what else to do.

My current EAD is still valid until October, but don't want to be in a situation where I have to leave my job.

thanks
Hi Guys,
Long time no see! I just came back from my vacation abroad after 8 years inside the states:) . Now I read all the posts since I left and I see that most of the questions are about expediting and how to do it. The short answer to that is:

*-visit the congress man/woman office in person. take all your paper with you. they welcome walk-in vistors so you don't need an appointment. better to go than to send a letter or e-mail
*-If you can't find the fax # for your service center, send a letter by mail. Make sure to register your letter
*-Keep in calling customer service 800 # and ask for a " service request"

I wish you all the best.

I-765 x I-485 what's the catch?

avi_gc, Thank you for your comments about the thread, it's a credit for every one who ever wrote a helpful postive word on it. About your case, if you send your case to the wrong SC by mistake, they will count from AFTER the transfer. If the transfer was due to the relocation of the applicant or due to USCIS own decision, they might count from the initial receipt date.
The good news is, in my case,my I-765 got approved and after less than 90 days I received my GC. Yes sometimes they will not grant your I-765 while your name check is pending but that's ONLY in some cases. Don't be afraid of loosing your job, read in this thread about working while I-765 is pending. it's Ok and beside that, you still have some time in your hand. Good planning by applying ahead of time.
keep us posted and good luck with your appointment:)

Hi hossamny,
I just came back from my infopass. The officer sent an email expedite request to the TSC service center. The officer also looked into my I-485 file and said that security, background and namechecks are all clear. He actually acknowledged that the EAD should have been approved and also took down my email address and said he will contact me if gets any response from TSC.

He told me to take another infopass appointment if I don't get anything in 2 or 3 weeks.

Thats the update for now.

What are the chances of getting the EAD approved after the email from infopass officer? Any ideas

Last edited by a moderator: