• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Life in the US after DV 2011

njugunuts

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I would like to start this thread for all those who have moved to the US already after winning the DV so we can share our experiences. It can give other who are yet to get here a chance to learn from us.

Regards.

Very important njugunuts.............

Hi,

I would like to start this thread for all those who have moved to the US already after winning the DV so we can share our experiences. It can give other who are yet to get here a chance to learn from us.

Regards.

So I moved to Virginia and tried to set up bank accounts, credit cards and cellphone. Here are my experiences for far:

Day 1: Arrived, went out for lunch and met up with my hosts and had a great time.
Day 2: Went to the bank to try and get a bank account so I can receive some money which I had back home. I went to PNC bank. Turns out I need two forms of ID. My passport serves as one, and the other can be American Drivers Licence/State issued ID/Foreign Visa Card/Green Card. I had my foreign country's ID and Driver's Licence but this is not a valid form of ID for their purpose. The secondary ID has to be government issued, with the exception of the foreign VISA card (but I think this only suffices for the bank scenario).
Day 3: Went to BestBuy to try and compare plans and phones, found one I liked with Verizon but again the 2 forms of ID were a problem, and the lack of credit history. Before I left my native country, I had been given a Boost phone (based on the Sprint network) by a friend for free and this is prepaid so it doesn't have all the nonsense of ID and stuff. Thought it was a good way to get a phone number.

So the journey continues, will update on what transpires during trying to find a credit card and getting a driver's license and a car.

So I moved to Virginia and tried to set up bank accounts, credit cards and cellphone. Here are my experiences for far:

Day 1: Arrived, went out for lunch and met up with my hosts and had a great time.
Day 2: Went to the bank to try and get a bank account so I can receive some money which I had back home. I went to PNC bank. Turns out I need two forms of ID. My passport serves as one, and the other can be American Drivers Licence/State issued ID/Foreign Visa Card/Green Card. I had my foreign country's ID and Driver's Licence but this is not a valid form of ID for their purpose. The secondary ID has to be government issued, with the exception of the foreign VISA card (but I think this only suffices for the bank scenario).
Day 3: Went to BestBuy to try and compare plans and phones, found one I liked with Verizon but again the 2 forms of ID were a problem, and the lack of credit history. Before I left my native country, I had been given a Boost phone (based on the Sprint network) by a friend for free and this is prepaid so it doesn't have all the nonsense of ID and stuff. Thought it was a good way to get a phone number.

So the journey continues, will update on what transpires during trying to find a credit card and getting a driver's license and a car.

this is very useful. Thank you.

Nice to here your experience overthere....needs to know about starting a business in US what is the a,b,cs to do so

@ Fifizain, I would not know anything about trying to set up a business since I'm not trying to do that.

However, a few general things learned so far(not too sure if these apply just to the Washington DC area):

Try and carry an international driver's license from your country of origin. Ask any of the driving schools there and they should provide you with one if you have a valid country license. This allows you to take the road skills test in America without having to take driver's education classes and also allows you to drive on their roads and gain experience on their roads before you take the DMV test. Without this, you'll have to take a learner's permit once all your government documentation comes through and you can only test thirty days after that. That's a long time to not be able to drive in a country where a lot depends on your ability to successfully maneuver your way around with a vehicle. Don't forget to carry your original country's license because the international driver's permit is invalid without this. You need both of them.

maybe you should find a job or your money with run out very soon
anyways you can sell your car an the phone lter so you can live another week or so in NY
also if they are crazy to give you credit card straight away maybe you can biff up some debt which you gonna repay next decade or so....

stop with your 2 cents commentaries, not everyone is as stupid and as ****ed up.

maybe you should find a job or your money with run out very soon
anyways you can sell your car an the phone lter so you can live another week or so in NY
also if they are crazy to give you credit card straight away maybe you can biff up some debt which you gonna repay next decade or so....

It isn't all negative as some posters want you to believe, but you might have to except a job that is not on the level what you used to have since many people are under employed now just to have a job.

Unfortunately there are many others competing for the same job.

Make sure you get a US DL a.s.a.p. and get your SSN in place otherwise you won't be able to get a job at all.

Open a bank account and try to get a secured credit card to start building up a credit history which is very important over here, even if you don't need it now you might need it in the future since it can save you on car insurance, etc.