Letter from USCIS requesting to bring more documents

CitizenshipFees

Registered Users (C)
I have received a letter from USCIS. I have been arrested in 2001 for shoplifting and paid 50$ in the court and the case was dismissed. I have mentioned in N-400 application. Below is the information in the letter.

A review of your N-400: Application for Naturalization indicates that additional information is required to process your application. Please bring this letter, all the additional information requested below, your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), all passports, and your re-entry permit (if you have one) to your interview. Failure to do so may cause delays in deciding your case or result in denial of your application. Your interview appointment letter will follow at a later date if you have not already received one.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT SEND OR BRING THESE DOCUMENTS TO USCIS UNTIL YOUR INTERVIEW!!

Please bring the following to your interview:
• You indicated in your application that you have been arrested and a FBI background check using your fingerprints also revealed that you have an arrest record. For these arrests and any other incidents in which you may have been involved, bring originals or CERTIFIED copies of all arrest records and court dispositions showing how each incident was resolved. Failure to disclose any and all arrests may result in the denial of your application.

Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by an English translation. The translator must certify that he/she is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

REMINDER: BRING THIS ORIGINAL LETTER WITH YOUR DOCUMENT!!!
Sensitive But Unclassified.

Do you all think that my interview letter is on the way? Do I have to worry about this letter? Did any one received this kind of letter. Please reply.

Yep,

I also got a notice that more information might be requested, but never was and I never got into trouble.

Since this is a minor issue, I wouldn't sweat it and I would assume they just send it ahead of time for you to be prepared. Usually (you can check this here on many time lines) the interview letter arrives about 4 weeks before the interview appointment.

I wouldn't worry, just ensure you have your papers ready and be humble during the interview.

It's been 7 years ago for a minor charge and not sure what the circumstances were back when, nor your age at that time.

If you have time do call the 800 cust serv number and ask them if the IL has been mailed. Also start tracking other people from your DO on this forum. If similar PDs like your's get ILs then possibly your IL could be on the way.

Sure I will try calling 800 number on Monday. When I call 800 number what are all the other numbers I should be dial to get in touch with CS.

Did anyone else got this kind of letter?

A review of your N-400: Application for Naturalization indicates that additional information is required to process your application. Please bring this letter, all the additional information requested below, your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), all passports, and your re-entry permit (if you have one) to your interview. Failure to do so may cause delays in deciding your case or result in denial of your application. Your interview appointment letter will follow at a later date if you have not already received one.

It says that your interview letter will follow at a later date if you have not received one... so they will mail you one.

When I call 800 number what are all the other numbers I should be punch to get in touch with CS.

I went to local police station to get the Certified Arrest Copy, they said the certified copy will not be given in the police station, they asked me to go to Criminal History Record office which is in Boston.

Can any one guide me where to get the certified copy of Arrest Records?

As aabbcc11 member said I had called USCIS today and asked whether my interview letter is already mailed. Good news, they have mailed it on May 30th, so she said I will receiving the letter this week and the interview would be in July. She has not given the interview date. I am very happy.

At present I should gather the Certified copy of my arrest record. Not really sure where to get that.
If anyone knows please help me out.

As aabbcc11 member said I had called USCIS today and asked whether my interview letter is already mailed. Good news, they have mailed it on May 30th, so she said I will receiving the letter this week and the interview would be in July. She has not given the interview date. I am very happy.

At present I should gather the Certified copy of my arrest record. Not really sure where to get that.
If anyone knows please help me out.

Try calling the Criminal History Board at (617) 660-4600. They should be able to tell you exactly how to obtain your record.

Usually certified copy of my arrest record can get it from Criminal History board not from the police station?

I'm not sure how it works in Massachusetts, but I had to obtain a copy of my criminal record from a criminal history office here in NYC. I had a BS desk appearance ticket 11 years ago, so I wanted to know whether or not it was on my record.

I would definitely call the criminal history board and ask them how to get a certified arrest record. I'm sure they'll be able to answer your question a lot more accurately than this forum.

I am in a similar situation, although I have not yet received the letter you got requesting the arrest record, I am expecting one since I was not able to include it in my application.

However, so far, I am NOT able to obtain any arrest record. Here is the story:

In 1996, in Northern California I was arrested and booked into jail over night. I bailed out the next day. Nothing ever came of this, no charges filed.

I am in Southern California now. My first try to get the arrest record was with the arresting police station. They refered me to the County Sheriffs office who was contracted as the custodian of records in 1996. I contacted them and the response was "We only provide these records to other Police Agencies" Normally, these documents are made known to the defendent during "discovery", but there was no discovery here, absolutely no court appearance whatsoever. While talking on the phone, the lady mentioned that USCIS could obtain the document, but not me.

Did anyone else try to get an arrest record in California? Perhaps I am going about it the wrong way. Is there a "Criminal history board" in CA?

I am currently in the process of getting updated written responses to my requests. I already know the answers, as I did this back in 2007, and called them again recently. This to be ready in case I get the letter described above.

I was thinking my next step would be to contact USCIS and ask them to get the document. Before this, I would wait to get the letter described above, and respond to it immediately with my response letters, and then ask USCIS to obtain the document if it is needed. If this not succesful, then try the ombudsman form.

After I get the letters back I will make an INFOPASS and attempt to ask some questions on this. Don't know if that will help or not...

Anyway good luck, hope you don't run into the roadblock I did.

SC

I am in Southern California now. My first try to get the arrest record was with the arresting police station. They refered me to the County Sheriffs office who was contracted as the custodian of records in 1996. I contacted them and the response was "We only provide these records to other Police Agencies" Normally, these documents are made known to the defendent during "discovery", but there was no discovery here, absolutely no court appearance whatsoever. While talking on the phone, the lady mentioned that USCIS could obtain the document, but not me.
Did you emphasize repeatedly that you are trying to get your own arrest record, not a record for any random person? Sometimes when you emphasize that you're getting your own records they'll cooperate. But otherwise, they'll just give you the programmed response.

Going to try CA Department of Justice

Yes, I did make clear that I was the subject here. Seems like a dead end - at least for an individual. (police or govt. agency can get it)

I did some research and I found something that may help. Criminal History from the CA Department of Justice. I need to get fingerprints, send in $32. I am not sure if this is what USCIS is looking for. I suspect that it will come back totally clean since I have no convictions. It depends whether or not arrest records are maintained or not.

http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/faq.php

I am going to to this for now. I plan to get this document, make an INFOPASS, and ask if the CA DOJ document is sufficient.

Thanks,
SC

I have filled my N-400 using attorney's help. He emailed me yesterday saying that he will notarize the Criminal History application form, so got notarized and attached 25$ money order and mailed it to CHSB today. My attorney said that arrest records can only be given by criminal history board, and court records by district courts.

I called CHSB, they said once they receive the application it take 7 to 14 business days.

Fingerprinted & submitted electronically to CA DOJ

OK, I went to a local "live scan" fingerprinting place. (UCI Campus Police) I paid $52 ($20 FP fee, $32 DOJ fee). I am still not sure if I will get the documents I need to satisfy "arrest record". Everything is done electronically, they submitted to CA DOJ and I left with a tracking number

Speculatively... I expect this record to come back empty because I was only arrested, no conviction, court appearance etc. I suspect that arrests are not part of this record. I hope I am wrong, and this will suffice for USCIS purpose.

I will continue to probe what is required here... and update.

Thanks,
SC

Received Interview Letter today. I have to start collecting all the documents and prepare for the Exam.

------------------------------------------------------------
VSC (Boston)
03/14/2008 : Mailed N-400
03/19/2008 : PD (and Receive Date)
03/20/2008 : Check cashed (date USCIS endorsed my check)
04/09/2008 : FP Done
05/30/2008 : Received a letter from USCIS requesting to prepare more documents.
06/05/2008 : IL Received
07/24/2008 : Interview Date.

CA DOJ Fingerprint Enquiry Delayed

Summarizing my ealier posts. I am on a quest to get a 1996 CA arrest record. I started off at the police station, was refered to the county sherriff and they said they only give records to other police & govt. agencies. Dead end there, unless I can get USCIS to request it.

So I submitted fingerprints to CA DOJ. Earlier I thought they would only provide criminal convictions but now I think they wlll provide arrest records after looking more closely at the website.

I received a letter that the results would be delayed. It stated that most delays are resolved within 30 days. I view this as good news, as I think it must mean that they need to dig up the paper file on it. (probably from the place that won't give it to me in the first place!)

Couple of points:
1. I am not even sure what USCIS is asking for. "Arrest record" is very vaugue. At first I took it to mean a police report. Now I am thinking it just means all the arrest complaints (charges) written down in a formal matter.
2. Reading the CA DOJ website, it appears again that an individual CANNOT get their own record unless they have a documented reason (letter) such as adoption and some other reasons. Isn't this unbelievable??? Why do I need a reason to get my own record? One of the reasons was citizenship so I just put that down, but they might want a letter from USCIS, so I don't know if I will get the results.

Anway, if there is anyone from CA who was arrested but not charged and no court. How did you get your arrest record?

Thanks,
SC