Letter from FBI after 5 year wait

Waiting79

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
I've been a silent reader on this site for 4 months. I am a US citizen and I had applied for my husband;s GC in Aug of 2002. we had our interview back in dec 2004 where we were told everything looks good but his name check is pending. We had tried everything from writing to senators to congressman and the ombudsman but didn't get an answer we already didn't know (Name check is pending) We were about to file a writ but I read about writing to First Lady Laura Bush here. We wanted to try this before we file the writ as it is a very expensive process. We wrote to her on March 25th and today I got a letter from FBI stating:

A review of the FBI's Name Check Program detabase revealed that your request was received from the USCIS on January 11, 2003. This submission was processed and finalized on May 4, 2005. The results were forwarded to the USCIS Headquarters, Washington, D.C.

This means that we have been waiting for 2 extra years for no reason at all because someone at uscis did not do their job. Can someone please help us and tell us what should we do about this case. Everytime we took an info pass we would always hear that they are waiting for the FBI to respond..We have been made to wait for 5 years!!! How much longer do you think this process will take . Please give any advice on how to get my husband's GC processed asap. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in the same situation and I just came to know that my name check is pending. I am also planning to write to the First Lady hope it will work for me as well. But it is better to have a info pass appointment and confirm about the same and also place an enquiry on the processing of your case this might trigger.

Hi all,
I've been a silent reader on this site for 4 months. I am a US citizen and I had applied for my husband;s GC in Aug of 2002. we had our interview back in dec 2004 where we were told everything looks good but his name check is pending. We had tried everything from writing to senators to congressman and the ombudsman but didn't get an answer we already didn't know (Name check is pending) We were about to file a writ but I read about writing to First Lady Laura Bush here. We wanted to try this before we file the writ as it is a very expensive process. We wrote to her on March 25th and today I got a letter from FBI stating:

A review of the FBI's Name Check Program detabase revealed that your request was received from the USCIS on January 11, 2003. This submission was processed and finalized on May 4, 2005. The results were forwarded to the USCIS Headquarters, Washington, D.C.

This means that we have been waiting for 2 extra years for no reason at all because someone at uscis did not do their job. Can someone please help us and tell us what should we do about this case. Everytime we took an info pass we would always hear that they are waiting for the FBI to respond..We have been made to wait for 5 years!!! How much longer do you think this process will take . Please give any advice on how to get my husband's GC processed asap. Thanks

Hi Waiting79,

Can you please tell me what is "file a writ" how much does it cost ?

Abhijeet.

Hi all,

Hi all,

let ur senator interfre with uscis by showing them the fbi proof. it seems ur namecheck results were not updated in the system of uscis. it happens sometimes. let the senator or congressman help . also u can take an infopass and show them the proof, but i would rely more on the senator interference.

Hi all,

Preferably your attorney (or you) should write a letter to the USCIS Director of the service center / USCIS ombudsman again, and make sure to attach a copy of the letter that you got from the FBI. Refer to one of the recent responses from USCIS and basically point out that the name check has been processed as per the FBI. That should move the case.

Antonioa's suggestion of taking the help of the senator is an excellent one as well. Try both routes.

Good Luck!

Sorry to say

but even my situation is no different than yours. I got an email proof from FBI that my case is processed and sent to USCIS about 3 yrs ago. I wrote to USCIS/FBI and finally to Ombudsman attaching the E-mail from FBI. Ombudsman forwarded it to USCIS, and then got a letter from USCIS, Customer Service Center, Washington DC that the case is pending due to Background Check(Which is essentially the same as NC. They use different terms). I also checked with IO through Infopass, got the same response that NC is pending. They don't bother what we got, they only care what they got.

Finally tried thru my Congressman, who forwarded the E-Mail i got from FBI with a letter of their own to FBI, and FBI sent them a letter that my NC is in process. Can you believe it? This happened recently. I'm trying to get copy of the FBI letter from my Congressman.

Not to disappoint you, but chances are very slim unless some kind soul wish to spend his time on your case at USCIS. Even i'm contemplating on going for WOM, but as you said it's costly process.

Good Luck,

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice everyone! We have a info pass appt on tuesday. If nothing good comes out of that we will ask our attorny and senator for further help.

begreen,
"writ" is writ of mandamus which is suing the uscis and others for the delay in processing the green card. it costs around $3000-$7000.

Can I still take the path of writ of mandamus. Because I saw something like this and I dont know wether I can still do it.

This was as 02/20/2007

CIS may continue to request an expedited FBI name check if the case meets one of the other approved criteria, including: 1. Military deployment, 2. Age-out cases not covered under the Child Status Protection Act, and applications affected by sunset provisions such as diversity visas, 3. Significant and compelling reasons, such as critical medical conditions, and 4. Loss of social security benefits or other subsistence at the discretion of the CIS District Director.

Thanks for the advice everyone! We have a info pass appt on tuesday. If nothing good comes out of that we will ask our attorny and senator for further help.

begreen,
"writ" is writ of mandamus which is suing the uscis and others for the delay in processing the green card. it costs around $3000-$7000.

hi begreen

lately i haven't heard of any WOM success news, may be becoz USCIS stopped requesting FBI to expedite NC solely because of WOM. Check in VSC forum if there is any latest news on this.

Hi srichalam,

Thanks for the info. But is there anything I can do to expedite the situation??

Begreen

lately i haven't heard of any WOM success news, may be becoz USCIS stopped requesting FBI to expedite NC solely because of WOM. Check in VSC forum if there is any latest news on this.

Don't know.....

it's more of luck than any order as far as NC is concerned. People like me got stuck for no reason despite Congressman etc... On the otherhand, some strike success with similar options. I guess if you can do it, pursue as many as you can.

We had our info pass appt on tuesday. We showed the officer the letter from FBI and she checked our case in the system. Sure enough, she said the FBI check was cleared!! She told us that the case is just waiting for assignment of a adjucating officer. She made us fill out a form with case information and attached the FBI letter. She said this would be forwarded to the original officer who interviewed us. I told her the FBI letter says the nc cleared in 2005. She said nope it just cleared. When I asked then why does the letter say 2005. She just started to make excuses on how two checks might've been initiated and blah blah blah. We basically think that the letter was forwarded to Uscis by FL and that made someone look at our file. They probably saw that the name check has been cleared for 2 years now so they finally updated it in their system. The lady told us it should not take more than a month now. FL is awesome!!!

Hi Waiting79,

COngrats for getting your NC cleared. Good luck

begreen

We had our info pass appt on tuesday. We showed the officer the letter from FBI and she checked our case in the system. Sure enough, she said the FBI check was cleared!! She told us that the case is just waiting for assignment of a adjucating officer. She made us fill out a form with case information and attached the FBI letter. She said this would be forwarded to the original officer who interviewed us. I told her the FBI letter says the nc cleared in 2005. She said nope it just cleared. When I asked then why does the letter say 2005. She just started to make excuses on how two checks might've been initiated and blah blah blah. We basically think that the letter was forwarded to Uscis by FL and that made someone look at our file. They probably saw that the name check has been cleared for 2 years now so they finally updated it in their system. The lady told us it should not take more than a month now. FL is awesome!!!

Thanks guys :) Can anyone else who is waiting for an approval after nc cleared tell me how long the wait is from here? Really appreciate the help!

Hey

Thanks guys :) Can anyone else who is waiting for an approval after nc cleared tell me how long the wait is from here? Really appreciate the help!

Lucky you, i got FBI response to my congressman that confirmed i'm stuck in NC since 3/2004. I feel good you are out of this mess. I think now it's a matter of time before they give you GC.

Hi Srichalam,

How much time did it take from the day you wrote to the congressman and the reply you got from FBI ?
What's next in this case??
My congressman also said that he has logged a case for me.

begreen

Lucky you, i got FBI response to my congressman that confirmed i'm stuck in NC since 3/2004. I feel good you are out of this mess. I think now it's a matter of time before they give you GC.

It should take about

Hi Srichalam,

How much time did it take from the day you wrote to the congressman and the reply you got from FBI ?
What's next in this case??
My congressman also said that he has logged a case for me.

begreen

one month maximum. 2 weeks to 3 weeks is ideal. My options..... don't know, i lost hope in the system. Even WOM seems no option. Just sitting quiet for now.