Letter from Asylum office

rshar

Hi all,

I need your help figuring out what I can do to remedy this situation:

• I lived in state1 when doing my asylum interview, so USCIS at that time had my state1 address on file
  • I moved to state2 after few month of interview and requested change of address with USCIS . They changed my address and sent me confirmation letter
  • The asylum office sent letter couple of weeks ago to my address on state1 ( i really don't know why would they do that since they have my address updated to state2)
  • The friend over there forwarded the letter to my new address (state2) but he missed up the forward instructions and the USPS says it has been returned to original sender (Asylum office)
What I can do to get my hands on that letter and read it? Friend in state1 didn't open it rather he sent me a picture of the envelop (my guess he thought this is a private letter)

Please advice!

Thanks,
rshar

I would suggest you write a letter and send it directly to the Asylum Office (not the USCIS service center) of your new address and explain the delay in notifying them of your change of address.
When you change your address, you must notify both USCIS through the online form, and the Asylum Office by mail separately.

You can check you z number if you got approval.
If your Z number did not change status that mean your case is denied or got recommended approval

To make sure call this number
1-800-898-7180
Put your A number is it says about your court date
That mean your case is referred to immigration court

You can check you z number if you got approval.
If your Z number did not change status that mean your case is denied or got recommended approval

To make sure call this number
1-800-898-7180
Put your A number is it says about your court date
That mean your case is referred to immigration court
Z number didn't change status, so hopefully it got recommended approval since I called the immigration court and system said my A number doesn't exist, which I guess, means nothing yet has been filed for my case in immi. court.

Thank you for the insightful reply! @Jet Know Chow

I would suggest you write a letter and send it directly to the Asylum Office (not the USCIS service center) of your new address and explain the delay in notifying them of your change of address.
When you change your address, you must notify both USCIS through the online form, and the Asylum Office by mail separately.
Great idea, thank you.

Has anyone tried to contact the asylum office through their email for public inquiry (this one is for Chicago Asylum office)? CHICAGO.ASYLUM@USCIS.DHS.GOV
Good Morning,

Please do not send emails to this address. The Chicago Asylum Office cannot respond to inquiries from applicants requesting case-specific information. This is for your safety and to maintain the confidentiality of asylum applications.
Please send your inquiry by mail to the asylum office:
Department of Homeland Security

USCIS

Chicago Asylum Office

Good Morning,

Please do not send emails to this address. The Chicago Asylum Office cannot respond to inquiries from applicants requesting case-specific information. This is for your safety and to maintain the confidentiality of asylum applications.
Please send your inquiry by mail to the asylum office:
Department of Homeland Security

USCIS

Chicago Asylum Office
Good to know, thanks.

I sent them a mail and it is in its way. Will keep you all posted. in the meanwhile if anyone has similar experience please share, I would really appreciate it.

Does anyone know how long before the asylum office replies to the mail usually, like average time, maybe?

This is funny , if they don't want to reply why they kept this email CHICAGO.ASYLUM@USCIS.DHS.GOV
It happened with my inquiry too.
They said come to office to find out more
I went to their office exactly 1 year after my interview and they told me that my husband.s fingerprints cleared, and case is pendind, almost 4 month later no updates.
Now you can check online better than go to their office. Good luck

I went to their office exactly 1 year after my interview and they told me that my husband.s fingerprints cleared, and case is pendind, almost 4 month later no updates.
Now you can check online better than go to their office. Good luck
Ok so you can walk into the office anytime without appointments? Wana know

Ok so you can walk into the office anytime without appointments? Wana know
In Chicago you can but better call ahead and ask it used to be only some days of the week i think.
Last time i called they told me they have orders not to process any old cases.
My interview was 2.5 years ago now, i sent in a FOIA request and from that i know my case was denied but didn.t receive the refferal to court oficially yet so i can.t have a court date scheduled yet.
Hope you will have better luck!

In Chicago you can but better call ahead and ask it used to be only some days of the week i think.
My interview was 2.5 years ago now, i sent in a FOIA request and from that i know my case was denied but didn.t receive the refferal to court oficially yet so i can.t have a court date scheduled yet.
Thanks dear. Mine is EAD denial several times with same reason of applying in less than 150 days so I have called several times and they kept saying they will call me back. So I need to be there in person to know what the challenge is cosnits almost a year I applied yet no EAD. Have gone for interview though and was referred to court

What is FOIA request? Are you from travelled ban countries? Did you inquire about your case by congressman and what was the reply?mine is passed one year from the interview and they replued pending background check clearance. Do you know background check happen after approval decision or not?

FOIA stands for freedom of information act (paid my attorney to submit it), you submit the request and they will send you a copy of your case including pending aproval or pending refferal to court basically based on this FOIA you see if they approved it or not.
Back ground check doesn.t have anything to do with the decission, i received a letter 2 weeks after interview that they are checking the background which is clean and i.m from eastern europe and is a denial even if they checked the background and it looked like they may aprove it because of it.
I know i got reffered to court and is already 2.5 years since interview and over 5 years since i first applied.