Let's Start "Ban H1B" campaigne

some points

People see effect & only then they try to find cause....and walmart is not
that bad for US, it keep inflation low(I think Its employee compensation practices should definately be looked at), sometimes ultra liberals need targets to futher their agenda... very much like religious right.

It is not that whole US is turning anti-immigrant, Look at Sierra club elections all
candidates put by ant-immi guys lost... and orange county is very conservtive..guess they feel threatened with huge inflow of immigrants around them (LA nad san diego)..makes them feel insecure.

We know that US need immigration, anti-immigrationist may say whatever, but is a well known fact...they also need to get their social security , which will largely be paid by future immigrants as retiree/worker population will increase.

But I think H1B program came into limelight only because of deep recession of 2001 and pervasiveness of internet, As tech unemployement rates sink so are going to be feelings regarding it.... eventually It will again be negotiated on a table between tech lobby and politicians..if immigrants whose lives are going to be decided don't sit on this table...they will again be loosers.

By the way It is because of latino immigrants US is able to grow 3-4% a year,
without significant inflation... There plight is even worse than H1B, and you know what people who employ them loves it , because it keeps costs low.

I think H1B program itself is faulty, so unscruplous elements will use it .. Needs to be replaced with sensible immigration. I think sneak efforts(because of fear of anti-immigrationists) failed in s.1932... they may succeed with limited success in future, But problem will remain, unless the biggest stakeholders H1B guys says, stop this BS till it is fixed.....worse case H1B will be not there for a year, but after that it has to come back in some shape or form.... If You think H1B people doesn't bring anny value to this nation...
I disagree. The ROI on H1B is very high to be ignored by tech industry(no US at nation)... You know what tech lobby knows it & they were always able to sell this in congress... But not us...

Let us take cause/effect further:
Effect on Increased EB numbers on general US public ::: none
---> no wonder we compalin pols talk illigal immi
all the times.. I don't see opposition from US
population

professional engineering bodies : will prefer permanent immigration to H1B,
<<< good effect>>> as it gives freedom to immigratnt to choose
job & reduces negative effect on tech pay.

Good employers:: They already pay their employees well(market wage, as
mandated in H1B), so they will retain employess.
<<may be little negative>>

unscruplous employers & immigration lawyers:
:: This group is most to loose out of simplified immigration,
especially unscruplous employers ... lawyers will anyway
find a way to monetize their profession..they are smart
guys.

By the way, I don't think immigration economists you mentioned will be spending more that 2-3% of their time on employment based immigration...because that is what it deserves looking at numbers..Because economists writes for generall public and we are very insignificant factor in overall US immigration debate.

If you know some economist who has studied immigration effects of solely from a EB perspective, would like to read it...

Last edited by a moderator: