Let's Start "Ban H1B" campaigne

calif

Registered Users (C)
This way we won't get in way of anti-immigrant lobby and also we
will be just fighting for us. All the senators which always reply to
our questions with answeres refering to H1B also stop.

Our catch line should be " Ban H1B , till people already here get green cards"

I guess we will ahve a wider support of US tech community also for this.

Thanks,

We already have the support of the US TECH COMMUNITY

Dear Calif

We already have the support of the US Tech and business community.
Today's 1.5 page Wall Street Ad by InnovateAmerica.org examplifies this support.

And it was their work with got us the immigration provisions in S1932/ H 8001-8002. It was not passed but they got that in for us.

So please do not utter these words about Ban H-1B or anything, even jokingly.

Most new H-1Bs will be in queue for GC after us and not before us.

Regards
GCStrat :)

It is about buzz

1) It can get press as It is different.... and somewhat sensational.
2) It will force tech titans to include residency provisions strongly in
H1-B only push, right now it is very low priority just a lip service
as It doesn't effect their business adversly.
3) It will get support of professional bodies like IEEE who are against H1B
but are for permanent immigration as they worry H1-B takes away
valuable IP with them to create threat to US tech dominance in future.
4) It will stop Senators from sending us confusing emails with clubbing
H1B and GC process together.
5) It is just fair... I need to leave for lunch, I think we need to discuss its pros and cons, I think current US political/economic environment makes a perfect sense to get us heard.

and don't forget we will take away blunt the attack from anti-immigrant lobby as they always attack H1B visa.

Good One !

I am not sure if you were serious in your intentions.. but if H1s are reduced, then ofcourse the GC que would be smaller.

sundar99 said:
I am not sure if you were serious in your intentions.. but if H1s are reduced, then ofcourse the GC que would be smaller.

There's also a chance for EB visas to be reduced 'coz lesser High skilled workers come in???

I diagree respectfully

Mr Joshi,
I agree they can reduce EB visas if they reduce H1Bs & You know that Hi-tech
lobby is going to fight for it, we should join their fight only when they fight for us, Otherwise we fight against them. So our issues will get some hearing.

You tell me what will get more press:

" H1b people ask for more Immigrant Visas"

"Immigrants appeals banning of H1b visas till EB visas are increased."

I don't want hi-tech lobby to just use us withought fighting for our cause.

Views are always welcome, But one thing none can deny, The way we can
have a ear of media or govt is by making a splash. I can gurantee you 90%
of media/folks in govt don't know what we are fighting for...they think we are for more H1B visas & thats what hi-tech lobby wants....change the debate guys, let us have a ear, we will clarify latter.

Thanks,

IEEE stand

Mr JoeF,
I don't know what IEEE-usa non-public stand is(You may have gotten from
talking them directly), But publicly they have said that they prefer permanent
immigration because it doesn't erode tech salaries like H1B does.

So they will be viewed as real hypocrites if they oppose us, Personal views doesn't matter..they have to take stand in public and have to refute all their previous statements about H1B abuse.

Thanks for bringing this point though.

I think this makes sense

"Immigrants appeals banning of H1b visas till EB visas are increased."

gcstrat

Mr Gcstrat,
I haven't seen the adv, so I can't comment.

But looking at history, Their record is not positive:

How many times H1b visas are increased (even last year to by 20,000)..
and how many times EB visas are increased..never I think.EB visas were
same even when H1B was 195000... I don't blame Hi-tech lobby, they have
their motives and we have ours, If we have to lock horns to get us heard...We should go for it.

I am sure they will do lip service on this...but don't see much concrete steps from them... If you still feel that their push is same on H1B and Visa Numbers,
would like to see more examples.

Thanks,

To Mr Gcstrat

We don't have to be selfish here ... the future H1bs coming to USA will have same problem may be few years latter we have now & just because we are
in a right place of queue doesn't mean we shouldn't care about people coming after us.(especially when we call senators to care about us, who are going to gain nothing out of it)

It is better for them to progress in their respective countries then having a bad life waiting for their GC to realize their dreams.... USA needs good people..let It bring them in a right way with respect..not with tons of restrictions....

These are my personal views ...yours may differ.

Thanks,

Some thoughts on a Pre-Election year ! (h1 ban)

This will be a politically a correct statement for politicians to either Ban or Reduce H1s. but MNCs will push for it through their backdoor..it is hard to fight that.

I guess - No more H1 B, and showing that H1 B is taking away the Job of americans pitch would make an impression among general public - Folks like Lou Dobbs and others will bite this info.

But, on the other hand, if you see the realities, for those who have been getting approvals on Perm ( > 2005 filing), Plus the 200,000 BEC folks who are also waiting to file, would mean there is less hope for the folks in the Que.

The best option would be is to request more funding for INS to expediate, since Americans are not impacted, the quantum of funding is very low here. Take IRS for instance, how quickly they do the tax return in comparison :). This process of sending the message to INS straight is via a Law suit for SS Claim, when they have to answer back with GC approvals possibly. Pls do not get me wrong - US Govt or MNC have no interest in giving GC, however they have everything to gain from h1s. Why should they give GC out, when they can import h1s for a cheaper costs ?, pls they will work more harder than a GC seeker who is already in mid 30's with a small family and trying to keep his job...

I guess asking for SS Tax via lawsuit sounds more like a reasonable proposition, " Retain the SS Tax for those who are in 1 485 stage" if not find a way that could be repatriated to the country of origin. Some of you have said, SS money cannot be taken out. Then why does Canada, Australia, UK all have treaties ?/ I talked a Australian who works with me, he moved back from here to Melbourne, Aus recently, he was on h1. He filed paper work to have his SS transferred back. So it is indeed possible to do this. Except that India does not have a treaty for SS. If the Indian Govt smells big money, they would go after it for sure. For us., at this time, even though I have also paid a decent amount to Immi Voice, i am not entirely sure if they have the Muscle to take on the Govt, pleading, Faxes to Senators, and Bothering them with 1000's of phoen calls would be seen more from a nuisance point of view. A simple law suit and making sure CNN, BBC gets the wind of this is enough to make the US govt look into the EB retro issues, as many H1s are in their 8 and 9 th year. I have seen a few employees at work who are in their 9 th year of H1 extensions.

Not sure if you all agree on this. There is no otherway to tell the GOVT to address this issue. Petition are not good enough., even lobbying costs lot off money. Also, a lot of folks just visit the forum to see what others are doing, this is not going to benefit anyone.

sunjoshi said:
There's also a chance for EB visas to be reduced 'coz lesser High skilled workers come in???

There is a loop hole - GCstrat..

If the new H1 goes for labour subst, then you are of the race, do not think you are always ahead, there are 10 others waiting to get in front of you.. :) do not take it personally though.

calif said:
Mr Gcstrat,
I haven't seen the adv, so I can't comment.

But looking at history, Their record is not positive:

How many times H1b visas are increased (even last year to by 20,000)..
and how many times EB visas are increased..never I think.EB visas were
same even when H1B was 195000... I don't blame Hi-tech lobby, they have
their motives and we have ours, If we have to lock horns to get us heard...We should go for it.

I am sure they will do lip service on this...but don't see much concrete steps from them... If you still feel that their push is same on H1B and Visa Numbers,
would like to see more examples.

Thanks,

From ILW

H1B For Playboy Model

The Miami Herald reports that a former Playmate model seeks re-
entry to the US after being removed from the US for overstaying
her visa. Her immigration attorney is reportedly petitioning to
obtain an H-1B visa for her under the provision in the statute at
101(a)(H)(i)(b) for fashion models of "distinguished merit and
ability". While all other occupations require a bachelor's degree
or equivalent experience under the statutory provisions at 214(i)
(1) and (2) a fashion model does not need a bachelor's degree or
equivalent experience. Why not have similiar provisions for
occupations other than fashion model for those possessing
"distinguished merit and ability" regardless of the attainment of
a bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. For the full Miami
Herald story, see here.
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/13695978.htm

JoeF

Hi joeF,
I don't think asking for banning H1B is going to ban H1B, there is a very
very strong lobby behind it & They are going to get it increased..I can bet
on that.

But their is no lobby for better immigration, Where employment based immigration
provides a clear path to permanent residency .If You say no H1B till , GC process is fixed is infact doing service to immigrants of future not disservice.

I am not sure what you fought for it in past, But If You had to increase visa numbers in propotion to H1B there would have been no retrogession at all.

Don't take it personally, Being emotional doesn't serve the purpose..look at it pragmatically..can in current state we have any power of our own to change things...no

..and If You become already a immigrant and still coming to forum to help people who are going to be immigrants of future, You are doing a great service, People like you are needed to make these issues sticky and be solved. If everyone is worried till he gets his GC , this
problem will always remain.

Thanks for reply

I think H1B will never stop, There is too much lobby power behind it...
But if there is something significant comes in a way of H1B, strong lobby
will try to either modify H1B program to mollify who are obstructing it or try to remove obstruction all together.But in any case message of opposition will be conveyed and heard.

Lawsuits are not going to solve anything... why
"because immigration is a priveledge not right...and govt agencies have
enough money to fight it for decades" & You know that none of the lawsuits have ever worked(class action).

Even when You become a citizen, You will have a very little leverage , because very few people( % wise) has gone through horrible process
you had & many of them who have won't ahve any incentive to help.
I think everyone needs to fight his/her own battle, support from you is
again a priveledge not mandated, but very welcomed.

Govt agencies will be same ever, but technology will help in future, especially efiling(It has helped IRS atleast) .. nature of bureucracy can't be changed,
DHS is no different from its predecessors.

two things will solve problem:
backlog cleared with one time recapture/leniency.
In future:
Visa numbers every year > H1b VISA + L1b VISA every year
and CIS should be completely automated.

How will taht ahppen.. when their is a organisation who will fight for "better immigration" ..not just H1B.

PS: Again..we can't stop H1B we have absolutely no power, But we can get ourselves heard in a David versus Goliath battle & finally join the Goliath when
they understand our concerns and include it in their agenda.

I totally agree with Joe.
I really hate "Now I am here, noone else should come". Where I work, lots of new people on H1B keep on coming. And, one of my colleague keeps saying bad things about them, even though he himself came on H1B few years back. I was shocked, when he said raised his concerns over H1B people coming in.
Calif, would you like to go back and come, when EB quota is increased. If not, then how can you think of doing that to others.

will do if this retrogession is not resolved soon. Again you missed the point
I want H1B to be replaced with sensible immigration. H1B is not right for immigrants, It is for corporations.. i am really astonished people don't get it.

look at immigration of other countries Australia, canada etc... is it better than USA...HELL yA... same can happen here if we try.

Looking at Past

Most of the things are achieved in past by taking strong stand(rejecting bad accepting good clearly..policies to mend bad eventually end up nowhere)... even after months of work after lobbying , I still get response about H1B when I send my concerns about EB retrogession...You can pretty much tell what is more important to politicians.

The H1B lobby is strong ..very strong.. They are not able to get what they want is because of public pressure on pols..let the economy improve bit more, H1B increase is on cards(...& unfortunately not EB increase).

The fire in a theatre analogy is completely inaccurate for my proposal,I want just to be heard by speaking loud and assertively...not by burning someone.

Moreover increased EB numbers will effect future immigrants, as personaly if they just recapture i will be fine with my priority date....But it is not about me & You..Its about what is right and us.

We can argue for hours, But unless and untill we are reach right ears nothing will happen....

You guys are welcome to come up with suggestion how we can change H1B debate to either H1B + EB numbers increase debate , or a simplified permanent immigration program for foreign workers.

Thanks and very good discussion...

Good immigration

I totally agree with Joe.
I really hate "Now I am here, noone else should come". Where I work, lots of new people on H1B keep on coming. And, one of my colleague keeps saying bad things about them, even though he himself came on H1B few years back. I was shocked, when he said raised his concerns over H1B people coming in.
Calif, would you like to go back and come, when EB quota is increased. If not, then how can you think of doing that to others.

I would just say that It is very easy to attack someone's integrity ( I can just H1B proponents just want to import some H1Bs to US for their own gains & spoil their future by showing them a short term benifits.. giving them enough future troubles...)... But I won't do it, because I don't know.

So It is not a good idea to jump to conclusions...I am here , want to remain here... If someone else comes here and wishes to remain here the immigration system should support him... If It can't just don't show him marage and spoils good 8-10 years of his/her prime time, he will figure out good life in his/her country.

Whats the suggestion..

If people of USA selects politicians that curb immigration, means they don't want immigrants... So we should keep coming anyway without being welcomed...

In that acse even if they come they will face discrimination, because people don't like them...not sure for what they will coem here...can You explain?