Legal Permanent Resident voted for president

phillybogota

Hello, my wife and I are looking for some help.

We are in the process of filling out her N-400 for citizenship and realized we may have performed a costly error. During the last Presidential election my wife and I went to vote. I have been registered for years and I have voted all of the time. My wife registered earlier that year but we were unsure if she could actually vote. As we arrived to vote she gave her name and I gave mine and we both were allowed to vote. After reading the N-400 and doing some research we realized she was not allowed to vote. We also realized that she could be in big trouble and there could be a possibility of her being deported. We are very worried now and do not know how to fill out the form. We would like to be honest but would hate to be separated due to our ignorance. Our questions are How serious does the USCIS takes this, and how should we fill out the form? Has anyone else been in this situation before? we would love to hear your story and any advice you may have. She has been in the country for almost 5 years. I am a honest law abiding citizen (except for that incident). She works at a school and the school is asking for FBI clearances, if she applies for this, do you think the FBI will be able to find out she voted? Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You should come clean with it at the interview, lying on N-400 and under oath at the interview will earn her a 5 year bar from Naturalization.

Thank you for your reply. we may have to put the citizenship on hold for a while, we dont have money right now to hire an inmigration attorney... what about the FBI? Do you think they wil be able to find out?

Thank you for your reply. we may have to put the citizenship on hold for a while, we dont have money right now to hire an inmigration attorney... what about the FBI? Do you think they wil be able to find out?

No the FBI won't find out, however her n-400 would be denied by USCIS, and the removel process of your wife would possible begin. Don't file her n-400 application.

Also, call the local supervisor of elections office where you live and request her name be REMOVED from the voter registration. Ask them for a letter confirming that her name is removed, doing that will save you money because that is what the attorney will do.

When you have the money, hire an attorney.

Registering to vote is bad, but easy to fix (You can remove her name), actually voting is a hugh problem and will require an attorney.

What state are you living in??

Last edited by a moderator:
We went last week, and got her removed from the voter registration, but we did not ask for a copy of anything, can we still do it?

We live in PA.