Leaving USA for study purpose

nwa

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
Can I leave USA for study purpose(1 year) immediately after getting my GC, say for eg. within a month of getting GC?
Can I apply for Re-entry permit before leaving or is there any minimum time period I should stay in US after getting GC and before applying Re-entry permit?

Please help!!

Thanks

Hi All,
Can I leave USA for study purpose(1 year) immediately after getting my GC, say for eg. within a month of getting GC?
Yes you can do that, but if/when you apply for citizenship, they may say that you did not begin to establish residence in the US for naturalization purposes until you returned to the US after your studies, thus starting your 5-year clock at the end of your studies rather than on the same day your GC was approved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but it's really a questionable matter when it comes to applying for citizenship. If you could stay a little bit longer once your GC before applying for re entry permit, do it.

Yeah, but it's really a questionable matter when it comes to applying for citizenship. If you could stay a little bit longer once your GC before applying for re entry permit, do it.

Actually someone here told me, that "a little bit longer" might be even up to 2,5 years right?

I also will have to leave for my study purposes.

In my case:

I will enter on immigrant visa in late August 2008. After 2 weeks I will apply for reentry pemit and will be back in Europe in mid September. So the travel document will be issued in January 2009 and sent to consulate. So expiration date January 2011.

So can I really be outside the usa for 2 years and 4 months ? Am I right?