Leaving US for good after GC

AnyTimeNow

Registered Users (C)
Hi Everyone,

I am leaving US (surrendering GC) to join a company in Mumbai. Can anyone pls tell me the paperwork requirement to surrender GC? or the procedure to go back to India for good. And somewhere I read that social security tax is refunded (I may be wrong) if you leave within 10 years of getting the SSN. Pls, enlighten me if you have any insight to this process.

Any help would be great!! thanks!

Use I-407 form, I think you can also do this in your country, not sure though.
You Can also don't need to do anything special to surrender GC, you can keep the card with you for anytime. Some people in this forum posted entries asking questions on this.

You can still enter before 1 year or 2 years(with re-entry), if you want.
If you are not 100% sure to come back, i suggest you to take Re-entry permit, which is valid for 2 years(renewable for limited time), in this case don't forget to maintain resident status, like taxes, bills..., check this forum for more info on this.

My understanding is you cannot take Social security money right away, it is purely for retirements purpose. There are some conditions(like completing 50 SS periods) to take that while living in foreign country(after retirement time). You can take 401k amount anytime wiith tax and fine.

-Krishna
Above is just my personal view, it's NOT legal advise, and I am NOT a lawyer.

Last edited by a moderator:
AnyTimeNow,
Would mind to share how much you might be making in India?(public post or PM)... And for what kind of job positions... I know its pretty personal q/s but as everybody here is anonymous, there is no harm in telling $/Rs figure here , I guess....

Well chigfu, my story is unique, as I am sure everybody else's is unique too. I don't want to tell you what's going on in my life but for your reference here is a salary guide to India. I found it quite helpful while negotiating my salary.

www.kellyservices.co.in/res/content/ in/services/en/docs/kellysalaryguide_2006.pdf

AnyTimeNow said:
Hi Everyone,

I am leaving US (surrendering GC) to join a company in Mumbai.

Can anyone pls tell me the paperwork requirement to surrender GC?
-------------you can go to US consulate and I-407 form and sign before Cosulate officer
or the procedure to go back to India for good.
-----------for entry to India you only need your Indian passport. when reach India you may have to convert your NRE accounts if stay is more than 6 months in India. you can check the Beggage rules for returning Indians from Embassy site.

And somewhere I read that social security tax is refunded (I may be wrong) if you leave within 10 years of getting the SSN. Pls, enlighten me if you have any insight to this process.
-------------- others have posted.
Any help would be great!! thanks!

* better apply Reentry Permit Before you go and that is filed with form I-131 and sent to NSC one need to apply Before you go out of US. That will give you the option to return if you wish, if you are from Bombay then I dont think you will return to US. Re Entry permit is valid for 2 years from the date of approval and takes 2-3 months for approval. you can also pick up the Re entry permit from US consulate Mumbai if you write on the form and provide your Bombay address or it can be sent to US address after approval and your relative/friend can mail it to you in India.

Last edited by a moderator:
AnyTimeNow said:
Well chigfu, my story is unique, as I am sure everybody else's is unique too. I don't want to tell you what's going on in my life but for your reference here is a salary guide to India. I found it quite helpful while negotiating my salary.

www.kellyservices.co.in/res/content/ in/services/en/docs/kellysalaryguide_2006.pdf
AnyTimeNow, everyone is unique, but we can learn from all those unique stories. And whats big deal if you tell that? I don't get it...

I am not tricking you, but its alrite...