Leaving the US on Temporary Work Assignment

Flyer729

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am a conditional GC holder in the process of removing the conditions. I have the opportunity to go to France for 9 months on an assignment. I will be employed under my current employer in the US and taxes will be paid here.

Do I need a Re-Entry permit to come back to the US? My current employer is willing to pay for a return trip every 90 days. How will this trip affect my Citizenship application?

Thanks,

Re-entry permit is needed if you will be outside the U.S. for more than one year. No need to worry about it in your case.

Hi,

I am a conditional GC holder in the process of removing the conditions. I have the opportunity to go to France for 9 months on an assignment. I will be employed under my current employer in the US and taxes will be paid here.

Do I need a Re-Entry permit to come back to the US? My current employer is willing to pay for a return trip every 90 days. How will this trip affect my Citizenship application?

Thanks,

From the US Perspective:
If none of your trips are more than 6 months then you are fine.
This would not be a problem as each of your trips is 3 months.
France:
By the way will you be getting a work permit for France?
If yes then you will need to pay french Taxes and not US.
If you are planning on doing this using a business visa or tourist visa remember that you are allowed to stay in the schengen area for a cumulative of 90 days in a given 6 month period. The Key here is that its CUMULATIVE. so after the first 90 days whne you come back you will not be able to enter the Schengen area for atleast another 90 days.

By the way will you be getting a work permit for France?
If yes then you will need to pay french Taxes and not US.
It is likely the taxes will have to be paid to both France and the US. Probably not Federal income tax, but it's not so easy to get away from Social Security and state income tax on a business trip while employed by a US company and maintaining a place of residence in the US. Ultimately it will come to the tax treaties that exist between France, the US, and the OP's country of citizenship, and the state's tax rules.

I agree. Tax treaties will come into play. Eitherway he will have to pay French Taxes. Then claim Foreign earned income credit on his US taxes.
Also please note he is not on a business trip. He will be working in France.
Eitherway there are more issues on the French side for him rather than the US. This is ofcourse assuming that the person in question is not a EU/UK/Swiss passport holder or posses a resident card to any of the EU Countries/UK/Switzerland.

Also please note he is not on a business trip. He will be working in France.
What I meant was that he's not being employed by a French company ... he'll have the same US employer, who most likely will withhold US Social Security. Whereas a French employer wouldn't withhold US Social Security (although they might withhold France's equivalent of it).