• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Leaving for 2years and reenter after

HoDaV

Registered Users (C)
Hi!

I have noticed that there are many very well experienced users on the forum and I would like to ask for some help, please.
My situation is:
EU00017xxx current in march so if I succeed I'll have to leave latest september.
I have 2 more years to go In university, I would finish in 2010 june.

The thing is that If I immigrate to the US, I will loose years of studies and I have to restart there for lot of tution fee while working. So i have plan B. . .

Im planning to enter in september and come back instantly (after 1 week or two) but submiting form I-131 before the date of departure and describe that I have to finish studies.

When Im done with all in 2010 June, I'm planing to go in july or august 2010.

Do You think this is possible this way, or if not this way any other ways, or not at all.

thanks in advence

DaV

Last edited by a moderator:
You shouldn't leave UNTIL the I-131 is approved. So go to the US during summer break.

If that doesn't work, see if you can transfer to a Univeristy that will give you credit for what you have done.

I highly do not recommend borrowing money from a private institution for tuition.

HoDaV:

I am totally in the same situation as you!
My case number is EU000159XX

I am also student and have at least one or two years of studying in my homeland.

From which country you are? Maybe we can share more information about our immigration experiences!

Hello

Thanks for the answers everyone.

Although It seems risky, I think the current situation ( mine and US economical) is forcing me not to throw away may past three years. The Form I-131 says that leaving the US before reciving the answer does not affect anything. In case they deny it I can still fly back again.

Hi BMChris,

What has borrowing money from private institution got to do with his question,and why is it not recommended? Just curious to know the relationship.

Tommy.

you can leave prior to getting I-131 reentry permit (as opposed to getting I-131 advance parole), but you should keep proof that you were in the States when you applied for it.

Hi Lucy,

Could you please tell me, whether it will jeopardize our ownerships of GC and future citizenship applications if we leave after we activated our GC by visiting US due to my kids finishing their high school education, and come back less than 1 year later?

Thank you in advance for your always commendable response.

It doesn't jeopardize your GC. But the time you are not in the US will not count towards the 5 years you need to apply for citizenship

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in a similar situation as the other students in this thread.

I'll soon travel to the US to activate my GC, but have to finish my PhD in Germany. This will take at least one or maybe two more years.

I was planning to file the I-131 (re-entry permit) while in the US, but there are new biometric requirements. These require that you make an appointment at an Application Service Center to get fingerprinted. From what the USCIS Homepage told me, it might take up to 3 months to get an appointment.

It's not possible for me to stay in the US for such an extended period of time and wait for the fingerprinting. So, what can I do to keep my GC while finishing my Phd?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Patrick

I was planning to file the I-131 (re-entry permit) while in the US, but there are new biometric requirements.
where does it say that FPs are required for reentry permit?

@Tazmania:

Sure, legally I could stay as long as I wanted, but my work in Germany does not allow me to do so. Like I said, I am working on my PhD which I do not want to give up.

@LucyMO:

Check the instructions for I-131 on USCIS.gov: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-131instr.pdf

Quoting page 5:

If you are between age 14 through 79 and you are applying for a Refugee Travel Document or Re-entry Permit, you must be fingerprinted as part of USCIS biometric services requirements.​