leaving country during N400 application

thanks to all your posts- this is an awesome forum, I think my best option is to work for the new company out of the US (if they allow this - after all they do have operations here) and spend 3-4 weeks during the next 3-4 months in Sing until I get my citizenship. Then the company can formally relocate me to Sing. If they don't agree then looks like I don't have a choice but to say that I can only join the company after 3-4 months until I get my PP...then I will cross my fingers that they're willing to wait for me :)

Still if you are found working and living there even for a short time like you described you can still be denied as all the IO will need to do is prove that you are actually living and working abroad for a non-US company.

Plus remember as some people are experiencing Oath Dates are never set in stone and you may come back for yours only to find out a day before that it's been reshedualed for another month down the road.

Seriously though, you pretty much have to decide which is more important, the job or citizenship. And if the job is more important then yes, you will just have to later on in years down the road re-immigrate to the US and hold up US residency again and apply years from now intead when you meet the criteria...

thanks to all your posts- this is an awesome forum, I think my best option is to work for the new company out of the US (if they allow this - after all they do have operations here) and spend 3-4 weeks during the next 3-4 months in Sing until I get my citizenship. Then the company can formally relocate me to Sing. If they don't agree then looks like I don't have a choice but to say that I can only join the company after 3-4 months until I get my PP...then I will cross my fingers that they're willing to wait for me :)

Are you eligible to file a N-470 with your employer and thereby retain continuous residency requirement?

Not sure what an N-470 is...I'll look it up. I think some posters misunderstood, my new plan is to work for the new company here in the US and get paid is $USD and stay in my address until the citizenship process is complete. I will go to Singapore for a a few weeks within the next 3-4 months just to get acquianted with the new team (it's a global business). THEN I will relocate to Singapore with the same company. I talked to the company last night and they were receptive to the idea. I understand that timeline might be longer than 3-4 months but I guess that's the risk I'm willing to take.

Sounds like a good plan. But you need to make sure that your short visits to Singapore don't make you miss your fingerprints or interview or oath. Because if you miss any of those, your process could get delayed for months.

Sounds like a good plan. But you need to make sure that your short visits to Singapore don't make you miss your fingerprints or interview or oath. Because if you miss any of those, your process could get delayed for months.

Jackolantern...agreed, my wife will be in the US and will be checking the mail. Plus I can check the status online.

Not sure what an N-470 is...I'll look it up. I think some posters misunderstood, my new plan is to work for the new company here in the US and get paid is $USD and stay in my address until the citizenship process is complete. I will go to Singapore for a a few weeks within the next 3-4 months just to get acquianted with the new team (it's a global business). THEN I will relocate to Singapore with the same company. I talked to the company last night and they were receptive to the idea. I understand that timeline might be longer than 3-4 months but I guess that's the risk I'm willing to take.

Sounds like a good plan. the only thing is that the highest Singapore tax bracket is 20%, god bless them. You might be liable for a huge amount of tax.

Yes I did totally misunderstand the situation then. I was thinking you were going to move there and work there before the oath. Living in the US then working for a foreign company shouldn't raise any flags then as long as you maintain your residency. The IO may ask you what was the purpose of the trips though if you are not actually from Singapore. If you are, they will probably just assume its family related...

Yes I did totally misunderstand the situation then. I was thinking you were going to move there and work there before the oath.
That's what the original plan looked like, based on the postings early in this thread. Then he called the company about working in the US for 3-4 months with short visits to Singapore, instead of working in Singapore with short trips back to the US.

That's what the original plan looked like, based on the postings early in this thread. Then he called the company about working in the US for 3-4 months with short visits to Singapore, instead of working in Singapore with short trips back to the US.

If the company will go through with that and be that flexible then problem solved...

Obviously, do NOT mention any of this at the interview, not even if asked (extremely unlikely anyways).