LC halt due to string of Layoffs

rohm

Registered Users (C)
Looking for more information on when DOL will proceed processing of LC\'s from companies that have had a string of layoffs. Apparently the word from my lawyer is that they are going to do nothing on these cases until they receive guidance from headquarters as to what they need to do when a
company has laid off employees. They have marked my company as one of
these companies, and will not move on any of these cases. Anybody in the same boat as me? with any new info? My petition was filed January of 2001.

Same here

I too work for a so called big company (employees > 40000).
I am getting the same response from my attorney. They are
saying that DOL offices are waiting for directions from DOL
headquarter in Washington. Till then, it seems the cases
are halted for those companies who had layoffs. Looks like
it is going to take time since they are not sure what to do
when the companies respond to their assessment notices.
Good luck !!

No Title

I heard that it might take upto 2 months.... sounds more like 6 months...

same boat

I am in the same boat. It is almost 9 months since I applied for labor. I work for Lucent in Chicago area. I heard from my lawyer that all Lucent applications are on hold and my lawyer thinks that in the end it will be rejected. He also told me that there are some other big companies also on DOL\'s list of hold. I am thinking of going to work of some tom-harry-dick company what is the use of working for a big company.

Same Here

I am also working for big corporation in Virginia and they stopped my LC. It has been a year.

Who was laid off?

If US workers were laid off there\'s going to be serious problems but if all the layoffs were H-1 holders it won\'t effect GC processing. Availability of H-1 workers is not relevent to GC processing.

Jim

James D. Mills
Attorney at Law
jdmills@justice.com
732-644-5702

EMC cases are also on hold - Jim, please advise

EMC laid off both US workers & H1-B workers. Looks to me that their LC\'s are also on hold. See cases below.

01305xxx Software Engineer 01/04/2001 NOF Issued -- FINAL ACTION Due On 09/06/2001. Posted on 08/02/2001.
01305xxx Software Engineer 01/11/2001 NOF -- FINAL ACTION Due On 09/20/2001. Posted on 08/16/2001.
...........................................................................................................................
01309xxx Manager, Proc Serv 05/31/2001 NOF -- FINAL ACTION Due On 02/28/2002. Posted on 01/24/2002.

I am in the same boat

My lawyer tells me that they might hear some thing by the end of next month. Its a waiting game and there is nothing much we can do.

How does a company get in the "list"?

Is it simply when DOL hears about layoffs from media story\'s or is there a formal process that a company has to inform DOL? Virtually every company has had to deal with the economic situation by reducing head count/ asking non-performing people to leave... so I don\'t know which company\'s DOL knows about.

Jim can you take a shot at this? DOL process does not talk about layoffs in its process

http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/foreign/perm.asp

You people know any procedure that DOL follows to put these cases
on hold. Why should DOL put our cases on hold and certify other
cases which have similar DOT codes. In case of layoffs in any company,
there are US citizens available in the labor market. How come others
(working in other companies) are getting their labor certification
approved?

How do you know this...

Can anyone tell which companies cases are on hold? How do you know that your case is on hold? Does DOL issue any kind of notice or change the status in Automated voice system?

my case

my lawyer told me that my case is on hold and the status says the my application is received on blah blah date. I think there is no message for hold cases. I am sure about my case cause someone wife I know applied on the same date as I did and she got approved one month ago where as I am still on hold.

As far as I know there is no list that is made public

Try this. Send an e-mail to lcstatus05@doleta.gov with your employer
tax id and see when was the last LC application approved. If your
company had layoffs, there won\'t be a LC application approved from
your company after that. It means all the applications from your company
are on hold. In Chicago land ex. Motorola, Lucent, Nortel etc..

Anybody who can disprove this theory or any better ideas?