Lay off....need urgent help

A0001

Registered Users (C)
Terminated from company, is there any time frame to transfer h1b visa?
please advise me

A0001 said:
Terminated from company, is there any time frame to transfer h1b visa?
please advise me

This is my opinion and I am not a lawyer.
There is no official time frame and no grace period, however, if in next few days another employer files for H1 transfer you will be safe. I am assuming that your current employer has not sent a letter to USCIS to inform about termination of H1. Even if your employer has sent the letter, you may be safe if you take action in next couple of days.

10 day

EricS said:
This is my opinion and I am not a lawyer.
There is no official time frame and no grace period, however, if in next few days another employer files for H1 transfer you will be safe. I am assuming that your current employer has not sent a letter to USCIS to inform about termination of H1. Even if your employer has sent the letter, you may be safe if you take action in next couple of days.

It is 10 day based on my conversation with former INS immigration official. But there are loop holes.

There is no hard and fast rule to transfer your H1 within some time frame. attorney's say " sooner the better". You need to talk to a company and transfer your H1 immediately . dont wait too long. you may be able to take advantage of the holidays. do it fast.

I AM NO LAWYER, BUT HERE IS WHAT I THINK.. If your company is giving you an n-week severance, ask them to give it in 2 week batches..(like usual salary).. Within the n-weeks you should talk to someone (a consulting company is the best) and file for an H-1 transfer..

I got laid off in Nov 20th 2002 at that time, I was out of country (back home) on vacation. I came back to US on H1 on Dec 7th 2002, . Filed another H1 from another company I think whole process on Dec 19th 2002 and joined the new company.

There is no hard and fast rule on how many days (atleast with my experience).

File another H1 and live peacefully.