Latest time a spouse can be added to a 485 app?

alex904 said:
It's probably hard to understand when your spouse is canadian and can enter US as guest or on TN1 visa.

Not going through the FTJ process or (worse) having to file for your spouse under FB2 are two good reasons. I just wanted to make sure you had a good reason - since refiling causes one to reset the AC21 clock and significantly delays things.

Keep in mind that being Canadian doesn't automatically qualify one for TN status; it's more restrictive than an H-1B (although not subject to numerical quotas and the head tax) and a Canadian entering as a visitor must meet all the same restrictions as a visitor from any other country.

4 months of slavary and filing everything over. Did I say I love bureaucracy and immigration laws.

Why don't you just marry your fiance/e legally and get the worries over with?

I must say that this FTJ process sounds a little weird...where a piece of paper can be used to get your spouse ADDED later after the primary is approved. I can think of many countries where getting that piece of paper would be so damn easy to get with whatever desired date for a sightly motivated individual. Dont you guys think so...

My home country is Russia. It may sound weird but even in corrupted countries marriage certificates are under tight control. And again, FTJ is a bad option. 9 months of wait... I'd better move back to Russia.
And why can't I marry and bring her here right now? There're many reasons of personal matter. She's working and teaching in the university and going for PhD this September. We don't want to sacrifice her career at any cost. Plus, we will have to go through russian bureaucracy too (changing her name, getting passport etc).
There's another option - register marriage, get H4 right away and fly here to file I-485 and get back to Russia. It will cost about 2-3 times as much as legal's service to cancel and refiling I-485. Thanks to high priced air fares this season.
You would say my case is an exception. I thought so too. But among my friends there're 3 guys who went through similar ordeals. One of them filed FTJ, another one cancel his GC (yeh, it happens too sometimes), third one filed GC through counselor processing and got away that way.

Hey Alex,
My problem is actually that I havent found the right person :) Since you know yours, I think you should just do the register marriage thing and fly her here.

If a green card is important to your long term plans...I cannot fully understand why a few thousand dollars for flight charges etc matter in your quest to being with your loved one in a place where you want to live together(assuming that its the US).

It is not ideal...but better than waiting for 9 months or even going back to Russia if you really dont want to due to this.

Good luck!