Landing Process and Necessary Info

You should have your passport stamped with Valid Visa to enter US

Hi!

You need to have your Passport Stamped with Valid Visa while entering US. 30 Days Revaliadation is applicable only when you have Valid Visa.

Since you are planning to go to Canada, why don't you get your Passport stamped in US Consulate there?

Thankyou for the response....however please help me to understand...if somebody already has visa stamp...he can anyway enter US on basis of that stamp...irrespective he has been in Canada for 30 days or more...
Please correct me...I may be wrong..but my understanding was 30 day revalidation rule applies to reenter US with valid I94 (I have got with new H1 extension approval) if one satisfies all the following conditions...

1.if one doent have valid/expired visa in the passport
2. Has been visiting canada for less then 30 days
3. & have not visited US consulate in Canada for visa stamping purpose.

Anybody else also please advise at the ear;iest.

Thanking you all

immiadvice,

According to state department website, 30 days automatic revalidation is still holds good except for few countires. I agree with you.

If you want to avail that, be prepare to take the latest rules from the state department website and any other email response from your attorney just to be safe. Some officer at the border post are less knowledgable than others about the rule.

Better call a border post and confirm by calling them as well.

My 2 cents...

Where should I go and Apply SIN?

I am planning to land next week. I am going to give my friend's address in Bolton. Can i go to any HRDC and apply for SIN card or should i go to any specific location??

Thanks in Advance!

Please reply

I and my family just got our I-485 approved and we are now US Permanent Residents. I had my Canadian immigration process going on in parallel which also got approved and now I have to land inside Canada by end of June, 2004. I plan to enter Canada at Niagara Falls border sometime in May. I want to come back to the US on the same day after seeing the Niagara Falls from the Canadian side. I do not intend to stay any longer in Canada but simply want to complete my Canadian immigration process.
Question:1
As I will be driving my car into Canada, I am not sure what to tell to the immigration officer so that the car is not considered as one of the items being imported. Can I tell them that I plan to go back immediately in the same car? Basically I don’t want to get into any problems due to driving my own vehicle into Canada.
I am sure many of you must have gone through this kind of situation and would really appreciate your advice.
Question:2
Do I really need to carry Banker’s Check or Money Order with me for the settlement amount? Or the US Bank Statement should be good enough. Please advice.
Thanks everyone for help.
-TRISAM

Please checkout before Landing!

I landed on Queenston_lewiston bridge and returned after 2 days. My 485 is still pending and i had a little tough time entering into U.S using my AP. The Immigration officer told that i can't have U.S GC and Canadian PR at the same time ; i told him that i am yet to get my GC, he was not listening to me, he noded his head with displeasure and atlast he stamped the AP seal on the same page where the canadian authorities made an entry for my PR visit. He told the golden words "I have made an entry into our system. So, you can have only one GC at a time, at the time of getting U.S G.C, you have to forgo one of them!"

If you have U.S. G.C., and have a good Job, why do you want to take chances? Landing in Canada should not jeopardise your U.S. G.Card!

There might be hundreds of people with pleasant/smooth experiences, but i had this surprising experience.

MEOW_MEOW,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I will check with my lawyer about having two permanent residencies at the same time. As far as I know there should not be any problem to anybody in having multiple residencies. I agree one can not have two citizenships at the same time. But I will make sure with my lawyer before taking the risk.
Meanwhile, please let me know about your experience with regard to driving my car into Canada and also about the settlement amount.
Thanks
-TRISAM

You can have dual citizenship of US and Canada but not 2 residencies. :) But again if you are not citizen of any of this country, how you can maintain residencies of both countries to get dual citizenship?

Mayank

Settlement Amount

I took cashier's check (in US Dollars) from a U.S. Credit Union. The Lady at the Canadian Immigration Counter asked for the Bank Statement, but i gave her the Cashier's Check. She made a note of the amount in and gave it back to me. I deposited the check to my account on return to U.S. I didn't open any account in Canada. I think you can take the Bank Stmt. That should be fine.

I used Rental car for Landing, so i don't have experience in using Own car with US Registration for landing. However, i included the VIN# and price in the list of goods to follow.

Good Luck!

MEOW_MEOW,
Thanks for sharing your experience regarding Settlement Amount and Car. I will take the Bank Statement and if possible, rent a car. However, I talked to the Canadian customs guy and he told me to add my car to the 'List of Goods to Follow' even if I am driving the same car into Canada. According to him, that should solve the problem. Basically I need to convince the immigration officer that I will be taking the car back to the US.

I also checked with my lawyer and according to him carrying US and Canadian permanent residencies at the same time is no problem.

Thanks
-TRISAM

Health card

Hi,

I am going to land in Toronto and come back in a couple of days to the US . I was wondering if I could apply for the health card while I am there so that I woudn;t have to wait for 3 months when I actually move there. (I am told that the health benefits kick in only after 3 months).

It will be great if someone can let me know about this.

Thanks,
srini

US GC and Canadian PR

Hi TRIASM and Others

I just called the National Customer Service Center of INS and asked about any problem having US GC and Canadian PR at the same time , As per the lady there after taking some hold time ( May be she went to ask from her superiors) there is no problem with that . I further asked about any issues at bordrer crossing while returning from Canada, She said, As long as you don't overstay and you have your Valid Passport and GC , you should be OK.

I think there is no risk involved with this.

landing in Toronto

I am also planning to land in canada on 10 th May...i am planning to rent a car...and be there in canada for a day only. I heard from some people that now a days, you cannot come back from canada..if you don't have PR card...Please let me know if this is correct??

Anyone else going to toronto for landing...let me know, may be we can go together....I will be driving from NY..

I have travellers checks...is that fine, or I have to have cashier checks...

Thanks for all the help friends....Ajay

Help Needed

Hi All,

I am planning to Drive to Toronto from Buffalo for my landing and return to US after 3-4 days. My wife will accomapny me. Here is my situation, please let me know if we can land in Canada as planned-

I used to work for company A. I have a H1 B Visa Stamp on my Passport from this company which is valid until July 27, 2004. My wife has H4 with the same date. And our 1-94 is valid until July 2004.

In Oct’2003, I moved to company B from company A. They have filed for fresh Visa and I have received the H1b Approval Notice recently. I am planning to send my passport to St Louis for Revalidation later. (After we come back from Canada)

The Corporate Department of company A sent me the following message recently -- “His H-1 was cancelled, however, he will only be able to apply for a new visa stamp in his passport if there is only 60 days of validity left or it
has been expired for less than 1 year.

The visa stamp can be used with any company someone works for irregardless of whether or not their H-1 was cancelled”

Can any one explain the last paragraph? :confused:
Can we still use the Visa issued on this company for landing in Canada and return to US without any problem?

If YES Can We –

1) Drive to Canada on Rental Car? Take Two Way Rental? What should we tell the Immigration officer about the car?
2) Fill in the “Goods to Follow” now with the following – Car, jewelry, Computer etc
3) Show the I-94 to the immigration officer? Pros and cons of showing 1-94?
4) Is it ok to carry less money than specified in the Application? What form (check, Demand draft, cash) is the best? What are the pros and cons for selecting a particular form?
5) While retuning back to US can we carry the money with us or Do we have to deposit it in Canadian Bank.
6) What are the questions generally asked by US immigration while returning.

Would really appreciate if you could answer the above questions.

Thank You Very Much,
ck

Receipts - goods to follow

Hi,

I had a question about the goods to follow list. I have a list with the appraisal of jewellary. How about the clothes and shoes, electronic items and other miscellaneous items? I certainly don't have receipts for any of them. Are receipts required for these items?

Thanks
srini

Need Your Help ASAP

Hi All,

I am planning to Drive to Toronto from Buffalo for my landing and return to US after 3-4 days. My wife will accomapny me. Here is my situation, please let me know if we can land in Canada as planned-

I used to work for company A. I have a H1 B Visa Stamp on my Passport from this company which is valid until July 27, 2004. My wife has H4 with the same date. And our 1-94 is valid until July 2004.

In Oct’2003, I moved to company B from company A. They have filed for fresh Visa and I have received the H1b Approval Notice recently. I am planning to send my passport to St Louis for Revalidation later. (After we come back from Canada)

The Corporate Department of company A sent me the following message recently -- “His H-1 was cancelled, however, he will only be able to apply for a new visa stamp in his passport if there is only 60 days of validity left or it
has been expired for less than 1 year.

The visa stamp can be used with any company someone works for irregardless of whether or not their H-1 was cancelled”

Can any one explain the last paragraph?
Can we still use the Visa issued on this company for landing in Canada and return to US without any problem?

If YES Can We –

1) Drive to Canada on Rental Car? Take Two Way Rental? What should we tell the Immigration officer about the car?
2) Fill in the “Goods to Follow” now with the following – Car, jewelry, Computer etc
3) Show the I-94 to the immigration officer? Pros and cons of showing 1-94?
4) Is it ok to carry less money than specified in the Application? What form (check, Demand draft, cash) is the best? What are the pros and cons for selecting a particular form?
5) While retuning back to US can we carry the money with us or Do we have to deposit it in Canadian Bank.
6) What are the questions generally asked by US immigration while returning.

Would really appreciate if you could answer the above questions.

Thank You Very Much,
ck

I had a question about landing. I plan to return back to the US in a week. I will be giving the address of a relative for them to mail the card in Canada. If they ask me to personally appear at the processing center to pick up the card how do I handle it considering I will already be in the US?

I was told that you need a PR card to re enter Canada. Can I get a limited entry travel document to re enter if I run into this issue?

Thanks

Landing info

Any one landed via Detriot to Windsor,CA by road, please share your landing experience.

More information requested for getting PR in Canada

Hello,

I am planning to goto Canada during July 1st week. I already have my resident status approved. Incidentally my US GC also came through, but since my Canadian GC is also approved, I would like to use it (since my many family members in Canada) to have flexibility of residing in Canada/USA. I have following questions:

1. I plan to goto Vancouver through Seattle (after renting car). I guess I will take my passport, copy of the document that my canadian GC is approved. Should I also need the following:

a. Bank Balance from US bank showing current funds?

2. After entering Canada, I will give my relative's address at port of entry , so will my Permanent Resident card for Canada be mailed there and later can my relative send me back my Permanent Resident Card?

3. I plan to come back within 1/2 day back to USA. In this case since I have my US GC also stamped on passport, will officer at Canadian port of entry doesn't allow my Canadian PR?

4. Will it cause any problem if I have my US GC stamped and will I be allowed safely back to US? (I am assuming entering back to USA should not be a problem since I have my US GC)

5. Does Canada allow having US as well as Canadian GC/PR?

gattu12,
I was in similar situation as yours. Got my Canadian PR approved and soon after got my US GC also approved. However, I waited till I got my plastic Green Card in my hand. This was very helpful while coming back to the US (Niagara Falls border). I returned on the same day. At the border, I just showed my GC to the officer and I was in without any problems. If you don't have your GC, you will have to show your passport and the officer may unnecessorily raise questions as to why did you immigrate to Canada etc. Ultimately he has to allow you to come back to US but with GC in hand it was so much easy. I would recomment if you have sufficient time left, wait for US GC to come. It does not take more than 2 months (VSC).
At Canadian immigration, if they raise question about your dual permanent residencies, jut tell them that you will take a decision within the next 6 months and will officially surrender one of the two PRs. I am also planning to do the same.
You need to have your bank statement (I had a banker's check too), passport, immigration documents, Goods to follow list and your relative's address where the PR card will be mailed.
Thanks
-TRISAM