Landing First time

US_or_Canada

Hello Experts,

I recently received the 'Single Entry' stamp on my passport and the landing papers for me and my wife. I have some confusion around my landing and coming back to US. Please can someone help or is in the same boat, please share your experiences?

My Situation:

I just want to land in Canada and stay there 2-3 days and fly back to US. I am currently working in US and do not want to leave for Canada permanently right now. I know with the new regulations, one can stay outside for upto 3 yrs. and still maintain the PR status.

Question #1
Can I travel back to US (with a valid H1) without the PR Card. Getting PR Card will take approx 3 weeks. If not, what should I do to get the PR Card sooner? I can give my friends address in Canada.

Question # 2
What should I do first in 2-3days period when I am in Canada. I get different advises from folks about opening a back account, apply SIN, apply Health insurance etc.

Question # 3
Should I get a PR visa for my kid (a US Citizen). I am sure for 2-3 days visit, his passport should be enough.

I'll appreciate you help.

Thanks much

Hello Experts,

I recently received the 'Single Entry' stamp on my passport and the landing papers for me and my wife. I have some confusion around my landing and coming back to US. Please can someone help or is in the same boat, please share your experiences?

My Situation:

I just want to land in Canada and stay there 2-3 days and fly back to US. I am currently working in US and do not want to leave for Canada permanently right now. I know with the new regulations, one can stay outside for upto 3 yrs. and still maintain the PR status.

Question #1
Can I travel back to US (with a valid H1) without the PR Card. Getting PR Card will take approx 3 weeks. If not, what should I do to get the PR Card sooner? I can give my friends address in Canada.

--------YES, when your friend/relative receives your PR card he can mail it to you in US by FedEx, you cant do anything to get PR card sooner
Question # 2
What should I do first in 2-3days period when I am in Canada. I get different advises from folks about opening a back account, apply SIN, apply Health insurance etc.
--------Apply for SIN, go to HRDC office it will take only 10-15 minutes, you can open Bank account if you wish, if you are landing in Ontario you can NOT apply for Health card one should wait for 3 months to apply after landing and you need proof of your stay in Canada and 3 Canada ID like, Ontario DL, Apartment rental agreement, Utility Bills, Bank statements on your address, your LP or PR Card

Question # 3
Should I get a PR visa for my kid (a US Citizen). I am sure for 2-3 days visit, his passport should be enough.
----- Your son can go to Canada as Visitor because he is US Citizen, no Visa for 3-4 days visit to Canada for him. But if you want to file for his PR application you should be residing in Canada and then you have to file from Canada

Hi ginnu,

I am little confused with your answer to his 3rd question. Can'nt he apply for his kid PR visa after coming back to the USA. Is it mandatory that you can only apply for your kid PR visa when you are in canada. Please clarify....

Question # 3
----- Your son can go to Canada as Visitor because he is US Citizen, no Visa for 3-4 days visit to Canada for him. But if you want to file for his PR application you should be residing in Canada and then you have to file from CanadaQuestion # 3

I am little confused with your answer to his 3rd question. Can’t he apply for his kid PR visa after coming back to the USA? Is it mandatory that you can only apply for your kid PR visa when you are in Canada? Please clarify....
----- Yes he can apply from US but it will take a longer time but if he applies from Canada it will take 5-8 Months maximum and the Kid can stay with him in Canada as the father will get the Approval of Sponsorship in 2-3 months.
I don’t know when kid was born if he was born before the father got LP he should have informed CIC about the Kid and applied for him that way he could have got PR for the child.

Hi Ginnu,
Thanks for providing so much information on this forum. I want to verify your answer to the 1st question. I thought you had to personally pick the PR card when they give you a date for pickup. Has something changed recently? :

"Question #1

--------YES, when your friend/relative receives your PR card he can mail it to you in US by FedEx, you cant do anything to get PR card sooner"

"I am little confused with your answer to his 3rd question. Can’t he apply for his kid PR visa after coming back to the USA? Is it mandatory that you can only apply for your kid PR visa when you are in Canada? Please clarify....
----- Yes he can apply from US but it will take a longer time but if he applies from Canada it will take 5-8 Months maximum and the Kid can stay with him in Canada as the father will get the Approval of Sponsorship in 2-3 months."

Since the Kid cannot qualify as a skilled worker ,the only way the father can apply for his PR is through the family class.You can sponsor someone for a family class PR only if the sponsorer is resident in canada .The CIC rules state that a canadian CITIZEN can sponsor a family member for PR from outside canada if the canadian citizen demonstrates intent to return back to canada like a canadian Job offer or admission in canadian school etc.I dont see how a canadian permanent resident who is supposed to be resident in canada can sponsor someone from outside canada.

please help..........

I am planning to land in Canada soon (going from USA), do I have to take funds w/me (in cash/draft form) or US bank statement or bank letter with balance verfication would suffice the requirements. Thx