Laid off - going out of the country

pip

Registered Users (C)
Gurus, Please help

I have been laid off for 4 months and plan to go to India soon. I have at EAD/AP. Will I have a problem coming back ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

do not know for sure

Do not know for sure, but logically there should be no problem coming back.

I will still advice you to speak to a lawyer.
\
regards

I have had stories about immigration officers asking for H-1 copies at the port of entry and questioning them if they are still employed with that company. This was a few months ago. You might want to check with others who traveled abroad.

No Questions asked - Ever

I have travelled 3 times on AP and my wife has travelled twice on AP.. no one ever asked us for any other document other than our AP and Passports.. (Ofcourse we used to carry all the paper trail..)

All 5 travels were after 9 /11...

Re: reply

Originally posted by tru
I have had stories about immigration officers asking for H-1 copies at the port of entry and questioning them if they are still employed with that company. This was a few months ago. You might want to check with others who traveled abroad.

Re-entry on an H-1 requires the H-1 to remain valid (ie. you have a job with your petitioner). Re-entry on AP simply requires a filed I-485 and the AP documents. You do not need a job, or even an EAD.

I have traveled using AP to India 1.5 years ago and no one has asked me these questions either.
There were two or three people who reported that at the port of entry the IO asked for H-1 papers even though these folks were on EAD/AP. I read in this forum a few months ago. I searched for the thread and could not find it. This is what I pointed out. Perhaps those were oddball cases.

I used AP last Oct.

The Inspector at the Secondary in Atlanta airport asked if I was still employed with the same employer. I just answered yes. The Inspector did not asked for any proof, although I have the employment letter in hand. Do not know how you will answer the same question.

Experience

Here is my experience
I had been to india on AP from dallas. At DFW Airport I was asked which company i work for ?. My advise is to consult a lawyer.
Hope everything works out for you.

Prepare all documents, they may ask anything

I was asked if I was still with the company shown on my passport. The officers may ask any question, valid or bullshit. SOme of them are knowledgable and some not, some nice and some picky. So be ready for all things possible.