L2 to H1 Visa Transfer - Very Critical and Urgent - Please Kindly Suggest

saikumarp47

Hi All,

I am working in Bangalore as a software professional in a global MNC and got my L2 Dependent Visa Stamped. My wife is in US on L1. I am planning to travel to US in another 30 days. My H1B papers are filed from India and I am expecting my papers in another 45 to 60 days.

I have the following queries to convert from L2 to H1B

1. Do I need to come back to India to get my Visa status changed to H1 from L2 or can I convert my Visa Status in US.

2. Can I convert the Visa Status from L2 to H1B in Canada

3. Will there by any rejections for my H1B as I already have L2 and what are the possible risks involved.

4. If Yes to 2, Can I still have the L2 Status

5. Is it better to get H1 Stamped and then go to US or is it better to go to US on L2 dependend and then based on point 1 and 2, I will get my H1 Stamped.

Please kindly let me know your experiences so that I can take an appropriate decision which is very crucial for my career.

Thank you for your time in advance,

Regards,

S

saikumarp47 said:
Hi All,

I am working in Bangalore as a software professional in a global MNC and got my L2 Dependent Visa Stamped. My wife is in US on L1. I am planning to travel to US in another 30 days. My H1B papers are filed from India and I am expecting my papers in another 45 to 60 days.

I have the following queries to convert from L2 to H1B

1. Do I need to come back to India to get my Visa status changed to H1 from L2 or can I convert my Visa Status in US.

2. Can I convert the Visa Status from L2 to H1B in Canada

3. Will there by any rejections for my H1B as I already have L2 and what are the possible risks involved.

4. If Yes to 2, Can I still have the L2 Status

5. Is it better to get H1 Stamped and then go to US or is it better to go to US on L2 dependend and then based on point 1 and 2, I will get my H1 Stamped.

Please kindly let me know your experiences so that I can take an appropriate decision which is very crucial for my career.

Thank you for your time in advance,

Regards,

S

1) It depends on approval notice. If you got approval notice with I94(797A), you can keep staying in the US as H1. if you got approval notice without I94(797B), you need H1B visa stamp.
2) You can get "visa stamp" in canada, though there is some risk of denial. If it's denied, you have to go back to your home country for visa stamp.
3) No.
4) You can keep only 1 visa status. Can not keep both of L2 and H1.

Last edited by a moderator: