L1b change of status to TN wait time

curiousitycat

I'm currently in the US on an l1b with my current employer, I have a new job offer that will require me to change my status to TN. The new employer is doing a TN pre-approval but has already taken over a month, at this point I'm running out of patience. If I quit my current job right now, is there a wait period between end of my current l1b visa before I can apply for the TN visa at the border?

If I quit my current job right now, is there a wait period between end of my current l1b visa before I can apply for the TN visa at the border?
If you mean "the grace period" after you quit the job? I am not sure if there is any grace period after quitting the job (instead of getting laid off). You need to be "in status" to apply at the border - which will - most likely - not be the case if you quit your "L1B" job.

I'm currently in the US on an l1b with my current employer, I have a new job offer that will require me to change my status to TN. The new employer is doing a TN pre-approval but has already taken over a month, at this point I'm running out of patience. If I quit my current job right now, is there a wait period between end of my current l1b visa before I can apply for the TN visa at the border?

There is a 60-day grace period, after the employment termination either voluntarily or involuntarily. You should target to get your TN within this grace period. Here is the link and copy paste from USCIS:

1710263207752.png

One does NOT have to be in status when applying at the border. One has left US at that point. Unless one has accumulated LOTS of days of unlawful presence (which would not the case here until many MANY months had passed) admittance will be based solely on the petition presented at the POE.