L1 to H1 issues.. Experts plz help

RaghuA

L1 to H1 issues.. Experts plz help

Hi experts,

Brief Backround: I came to US in Feb, 06 on a L1 visa (valid for 8 months strangely). Its going to expire in Dec, 06. So, my I-94 also is expiring in the same month. In parallel, I've filed for H1 petition. I learnt that I cannot change my status from L1-to-H1 w/o stamping at a foreign (origin country) consulate. So, that mandates travel to my country (India). In this context, I've the following questions:

(1) Within a week of my return to Origin Country (due to my L1 validity constraint), can I go for stamping at the consulate. Are there any potential issues of rejection of H1 stamping.
(2) In case of a query on H1, can I come back on my current L1 [valid till Dec,2006] back immediately?
(3) Are there any issues if I return US with just 2months of valid L1 visa?

I request you to please advice me on this. Thanks in advance.

1) you need appointment before you visit consulate. If your H1 start date is too far ahead, stamp might be rejected.
2) If L1 is valid, you can use L1 stamp to enter, but you cannot work for H1B employer.
3) No.

I think if you have a valid L1 status and if you applied H1 with a change of status you need not go to the home country to get the visa stamped to start working on H1 visa. Check it out.