L1- to H1 from Oct 1 -VSC

rahul_juneja

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

I am i US on L1-B since April'2005 and my new Employer filed my H1-B with effective date of 1-Oct'2005 but as per seeing the processing of Vermont Service center I really doubt if I will get the approval till October 1.

My question is If suppose I get the approval in Nov 2005 or end of October 2005, then how much time will i get to shift to the new company. Because I want to resign and give some notice period to my present employer.

After reading various forums what i could see is if the date written on petition is Oct 1 then automatically you are converted from L1-B to H1-B on 1st of October itself and you cannot stay with you previous emplyer for even a day. Then how come in this case i will be able to serve the notice period to my present employer.

Also if anybody can make any guess as till what date i should expect my visa approval from Vermont Service Center(VSC). my petition was filed on 7 July 2005.

Any view appreciated.

Cheers,
Rahul

Rahul,

I am also going through the same phase L1 to H1 and working on all combinations. As I heard if the case is approved after Oct1, then the approval is effective from the date of approval. I am not sure about this. My case is still pending and not sure when it will get approved.

Is your through a consulting company or full time emp. Mine is a consultancy so other problem is that if the case is approved after Oct 1, then I will have no time to find a project. That is making me more tense. I think we should keep in touch. You can email me on my personal id as well if you like. green_4545@yahoo.com

rahul_juneja said:
After reading various forums what i could see is if the date written on petition is Oct 1 then automatically you are converted from L1-B to H1-B on 1st of October itself and you cannot stay with you previous emplyer for even a day. Then how come in this case i will be able to serve the notice period to my present employer.
Rahul

you have maximum 60 days to shift from L1 to H1 company, if your H1 company agreed.

Hi GotPR,

I have also heard the same that you have 60 days if you are in US and 30 days if outside. But other people on the forum say that you can't even work for a day after the Oct 1.

Do you have any reference or any sort of concrete things. I am not saying that I don't trust on you but these conflicting views make me think twice.

L1B to H1B without COS

Hi,

can anybody help me

I applied for H1B when was in india.
now I am in USA on L1 and my H1 petition is also approved
1. Can I have 2 petitions with me now
2. Can I discontinue working with my L1 Company now
2. Can I start working for my H1B Company now
3. Do I need to go back to India or Canada or mexico for H1B stamping to work for h1b company

Thanks
Rambo

Rambo,

You have to go back and get your H1 stamped before you can start working because yours was a fresh H1 when filed and it doesn't have any I-94 number on that.

Cheers,
Rahul

H4-H1 applied in July 2005

Hi Rahul,
Applied for H1B (converting from H4-H1) and have a receipt date of July 5th. Still waiting on the approval.
Any ideas on how the approvals are coming along?? Last I heard a friend who filed on April 20th got her approval about a 2 weeks back.
Cheers,
Edit/Delete Message

Hoping for the best - June end is being processed at vermont

Map,

Even i am not sure as i am also stuck. But Still what stats i can see on lot of Sites are they are processing around June last week for Vermont centre and all other centres have allready processed july visa.

So hope for the best !

Cheers,
Rahul