L1 to H1 (Approved in 2004)

raj_usa2005

Hi,
I have typical question reg the H1 visa. Actually i have applied for H1 in 2004 with a consultant and got approved when i was in india and did not go for stamping. In Nov 2004 I came USA On L1 with current employer. Now i want to move to H1 . Is it possible to work on H1 (which was approved in 2004) directly without going for H1 visa stamping? Or i need to go for visa stamping? Pls help with ur inputs.

Thanks in advance
Raj

You entered the US with L1 and your current status is L1. Hence you can not work for H1 employer. You need to reenter the US with H1 stamp(I assume your H1 company is the same as the one you obtained H1 with in 2004), OR you need to apply for change of status if you do not want to travel.

Hi ,
Thanks for ur information.But i am not sure abt 'change of status if you do not want to travel'. Can you explain little bit more on this.

Thanks

As mentioned, you have 2 options to be on H1 status.
1. You go out of the US and reenter the US with valid H1 stamp(assuming you will work for the employer your H1 is with) and you'll be H1 status. Now you can work for H1 employer.
2. You file change of status from L1 to H1. That way, your status will be (in most of the case) automatically changed to H1 and you do not need to go out and reenter(i.e. travel) the US to be on H1 status.

I guess option 1 is easy and fast.

How option 1 is fast and easy?

Hi,

Just curious, how option 1 is fast and easy when you have to travel back to your country (that's a huge expenditure). Considering waiting periods for PA, this could take a long long time.
How much time does it take for Change of Status?

Thanks