L1 Blanket to H1B: Urgent. Please help.

mnmm0777

Registered Users (C)
Hi

I have a few questions on changing visa status from L1 Blanket to H1b, and seek forum's help.

I work for a comany in the USA on L1 Blanket, however will like to shift to another which is ready to sponsor my H1B in the USA. I want to understand how easy this process is transferring my L1 Blanket visa with my current employer to H1B with another employer.

Do I need to intimate my current employer about my applicaiton for change until my H1B gets approved?

Can this status change be done within the USA or I will have to visit India or outside for the same?

Can I go out of status during this change? My L1 is valid for next 6 months, and H1B can be started in this month by another employer. I also have a valid B1 visa, but I entered US on an L1.

Are there any other potential issue I should be wary of?

Please help.

Thanks a lot
Maneesh

Current employer does not come to know if you are applying for H1B and
you can change your status in the US.. However, I'd say it's difficult to do it right now, because of H1 quota. If you have US master degree, you can apply today, but H1 may not be available next week as quota is almost exhausted. If you do not have US MS degree, you have to wait for April to apply and you can start working on 10/1/2006. Til then you can not be on H1.

L1 to H1 and change of status

Hi,
I had applied for H1 through one of the consultant. That time i was on L1. I went to outside US for vacation and in the mean time my H1 got approved. Again i entered in US on L1 with current employer.
My question is . Can i join consultant on H1 though i entered in US on L1 visa.
Or i need to apply for change of status.
Please clarify.

Thanks

As you seemed to have left the US when change of status is pending, validity of I94 attached to approval notice is questionable. You can get H1 stamp and reenter, or you filed change of status as you are on L1 now.