King Khan is questioned at Newark airport: was he detainted?

First of all, he's no Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt.
Second, he's an idiot.
Third, it makes me laugh when people speak about honor and stuff like that while being questioned at the airport. You go to a country as a guest, you respect the laws of that country, as simple as that. You don't like it? Nobody is forcing you to go.
And lastly, he wants to do the same with Americans going to India? Ridicolous. They can do whatever they want, but it's just going to make US visits in India decrease. Same thing happened to Brazil when they enforced the visa for americans when Brazilians started to get fingerprinted.

If you enjoy getting a cavity search, go knock yourself out. Don't expect same from others. Just because you visiting some country, doesn't mean you grovel to them nor do you expect to be treated like a criminal. And no - traffic to brazil didn't come down because Brazil started fingerprinting USCs.

The outrage over treatment at US immigration is from all - Europeans included. To allow entry into US is a right of the immigration officer but to be treated fairly is a universal right.

Seriously - I don't a damn about this case but when you start makingstuff up without regard to truth and calling people names, you are asking for it.

If you enjoy getting a cavity search, go knock yourself out. Don't expect same from others. Just because you visiting some country, doesn't mean you grovel to them nor do you expect to be treated like a criminal. And no - traffic to brazil didn't come down because Brazil started fingerprinting USCs.

The outrage over treatment at US immigration is from all - Europeans included. To allow entry into US is a right of the immigration officer but to be treated fairly is a universal right.

Seriously - I don't a damn about this case but when you start makingstuff up without regard to truth and calling people names, you are asking for it.

It happens in every country in the world. I traveled the world extensively and I've been thru secondary inspection several times. Actually, I've never been thru secondary inspection in the US (so far).
I've always been co-operative and corteous and I got no nasty attitude back.
Maybe if I started to complain about how cruel the world is, well, maybe I would have got a nasty attitude back.
It is not a right to be admitted in the US (or any other country) if you're not a citizen. It's a benefit. Let's have that in mind.
Traffic in Brazil did go down indeed.

On racial profiling: I don't find it such a big deal.
]

I find the logic of your argument is lacking in substance. If you don't find racial to be a big thing, then it is your feeling and you are entitled to hold such views. However, for people who feel violated as a result of being singled out, they are entitled to be aggrieved by such an inconvenience. For the record, Americans aren't above the laws of any country, and they cannot do as they please in other countries as you seem to imply in your earlier posting. :rolleyes: Americans who chose not to travel to India will not be doing so because they are opposing the outrageous acts of a few Indians, it will be because of other reasons. ;) Brazil wanted to treat US citizens in the same manner that their citizens are treated in the US. I know it peeved some Americans, but at least they get to experience what other people go through when they visit this country. :D Let us not denigrate other countries. Muslim doesn't equal terrorist or terrorism. Wasn't a white man who blew up Oklaham City in the 90's? Hmmm... do we profile white man who fly across the country because of Timothy McVeigh? :rolleyes: However, for some middle eastern looking man, worst if he has a beard, traveling alone, they will put a scope up his butt to see if he's not hiding a C4 explosive device, and you aren't concerned about racial profiling? Give me a darn break....:mad:

Guys,

I fail to see what this hoopla is all about. CBP detained some guy, who happen to be Indian, big star in Bollywood. The immigration related inquiry in this case is was he detained or not, and who defines detained for immigration purposes? USCIS and CBP are not the same agency, but each is dependent on each other to fulfill its responsibilities with diligence of a federal agency.

The back and forth on Mr. Bollywood charater is uncalled for, if he behaved badly, who among us was there at the airport to give first eye witness account of the encounter? :confused:If you were there, please give us all the details. Moreover, Indians nationals who are burning the American flag should know better. The comparison between Jolie and Pitt is beyond the pale. I am certain each person who travels back and forth to the US is at one time subjected to an unpleasant experience at the hands of a CBP officer, nasty attitude, bad breath and butt, arrogant and mean spirited in their conduct. :rolleyes: So, let us call this even-steven. The Indian Govt should focus on fixing India, stop focusing on overblown stories of people who are subjected to a routine harassment by CBP. Have you tried going to Saudi Arabia as a Jew? :confused: Lastly, try finding the definition of detained for immigration purposes. :p

I concur with Al. We are making a hill over a mole when we do not even know what the facts are. We are putting him in electric chair without even giving a proper trial.

On an ending note if at all anyone then politicians or those burning flags should be ridiculed. Not SRK.

So Bob/Al; what is the final consensus? Detained or not and should it be reported on N-400?

I concur with Al. We are making a hill over a mole when we do not even know what the facts are. We are putting him in electric chair without even giving a proper trial.

On an ending note if at all anyone then politicians or those burning flags should be ridiculed. Not SRK.

So Bob/Al; what is the final consensus? Detained or not and should it be reported on N-400?
Not on your N-400 :). Thankfully, SRK dont need to worry about it, unless he is thinking about filing N-400:p

On racial profiling: I don't find it such a big deal.
]

I find the logic of your argument is lacking in substance. If you don't find racial to be a big thing, then it is your feeling and you are entitled to hold such views. However, for people who feel violated as a result of being singled out, they are entitled to be aggrieved by such an inconvenience. For the record, Americans aren't above the laws of any country, and they cannot do as they please in other countries as you seem to imply in your earlier posting. :rolleyes: Americans who chose not to travel to India will not be doing so because they are opposing the outrageous acts of a few Indians, it will be because of other reasons. ;) Brazil wanted to treat US citizens in the same manner that their citizens are treated in the US. I know it peeved some Americans, but at least they get to experience what other people go through when they visit this country. :D Let us not denigrate other countries. Muslim doesn't equal terrorist or terrorism. Wasn't a white man who blew up Oklaham City in the 90's? Hmmm... do we profile white man who fly across the country because of Timothy McVeigh? :rolleyes: However, for some middle eastern looking man, worst if he has a beard, traveling alone, they will put a scope up his butt to see if he's not hiding a C4 explosive device, and you aren't concerned about racial profiling? Give me a darn break....:mad:

I agree with you, but the world isn't perfect.
First of all, I absolutely adore arabic culture and I often travel there with my half-jewish wife who happens to adore the culture too. Also, especially in the GCC countries we met the nicest people we could have possibly ever met. For Thanksgiving we will be in vacation in Egypt and Jordan.
I hope that cleared the image I might have given out about myself.
However, let's be pragmatic for a while. Islamic terrorism is.... islamic, they should prevent it by looking among muslim people.
Same thing sicilian mafia is sicilian, why would they investigate a jamaican guy?
I'm pragmatic, not an idealist.
We don't live in a perferct world and if secondary inspections help discouraging (even a bit) a terrorist, then I'm all for it.
We have to deal with such problems every day and now you're telling me that secondary inspections make our lives miserable?
I'd love to trade half of my problems at work with a daily secondary inspection, believe me.

RichmondVA,

From a legal perspective, he was never detained. In my personal opinion, being betained require that you be cited for something, issued summons and asked to appear before a judge for some offense. If you appear before a judge, then there will be a record initiated through the court system. If you are detained and asked why you had an erection in a no-erection zone, then there is no need to report such an occurance because you have no paperwork to prove what the detainment was about.:D I always advise friends not to disclose any information on any matter which cannot be cleared by an independent set of facts, which are generated by a third party. USCIS will abuse you if you disclose something which cannot be cleared by official documents from some third party. I am not asking people to fail to disclose any information which is a material fact, but I realize people can be nutty in their need to be honest on routine matter. Failing to pay your utilities has no bearing on your moral character, if that was the case, then Americans have bad moral characters, but require immigrants to be perfect:confused:For example, if you fail to pay taxes, IRS sends you a notice in the mail, get your $$$ together and pay your overdue tax bills, then when you go to N400 interview, you apply for a tax transcript from IRS which is generated independent of your influence, which can be review by IO when asking you if you ever failed to pay taxes and how you handled that situation. Mr. Khan was never detained, he was held up at the airport for some additional questions which he found unpleasant. I would feel aggrieved as well, but I won't burn any flags, except to drink tea an view it as the cost of doing business.

It happens in every country in the world. I traveled the world extensively and I've been thru secondary inspection several times. Actually, I've never been thru secondary inspection in the US (so far).
I've always been co-operative and corteous and I got no nasty attitude back.
Maybe if I started to complain about how cruel the world is, well, maybe I would have got a nasty attitude back.
It is not a right to be admitted in the US (or any other country) if you're not a citizen. It's a benefit. Let's have that in mind.
Traffic in Brazil did go down indeed.

Google on Pat Roberts - Evidently he didn't like getting fingerprinted by the Brazilians and complained to Colin Powell who called up his Brazilian counterpart about it.

Observe how the word "even" is used like in "even Sen. Pat Roberts and US diplomats were finger-printed." Talk about entitlement !!

Google on an Italian newspaper expressing anger and frustrations at US for fingerprinting and photographing foreign media members. Maybe you should talk to your countrymen and tell them about your experiences and opinion about this.

If CBP told me I wasn't being detained but rather questioned for secondary inspection you can bet I would answer NO for the detained question on N-400.

RichmondVA,

. Failing to pay your utilities has no bearing on your moral character, .
In some of the states,deceptively using the service(like cable service,or kinda other utility) and not paying when billed,may be construed or charged under 'theft of service'(Criminal charge) and you know what is that under moral character for N400:)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: I am not a lawyer and I am just a lay man without any legal knowledge.!
Read the above STRICTLY at your own risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
In some of the states,deceptively using the service(like cable service,or kinda other utility) and not paying when billed,may be construed or charged under 'theft of service'(Criminal charge) and you know what is that under moral character for N400:)

New Applicant,

I bet you those are southern states...:eek: I find too many scofflaws in those states, hence they decided to make it a crime of moral ineptness :p If a cable company file a case of theft of service against you, then you should file a case of theft against them, they overcharge you on a daily basis, charge you unnecessary fees which have nothing to do with you. In the process, they own Congress and aren't ashamed of sticking it to your behind while they run to the bank smiling...:rolleyes: I have refused to pay a phone bill before, because the company had bad business practice, and I took them to BBB and I won the case. As part of the settlement, my refusal to pay was upheld and the company wrote a letter to all credit bureau to clear my good name. So, if you know what you are entitled to under the sun, be sure to fight corporate evil...:)

New Applicant,

I bet you those are southern states...:eek: I find too many scofflaws in those states, hence they decided to make it a crime of moral ineptness :p QUOTE]

Some othernorth -esatern states for may be different areas related to public utilties too.It may seem innocent utility usage at face value but you know how it transforms:)

Last edited by a moderator:
If CBP told me I wasn't being detained but rather questioned for secondary inspection you can bet I would answer NO for the detained question on N-400.
True, but how to elicit what CBP stand is, unless they verbally tell the person
they have not 'detained' him?
Does CBP field manual chapter 12 to 44 may not be clear on this too,I guess
Otherwise the issue still --stands 'status quo'.
That is the problem with routine secondary inspections.
(There will be no press room statements in normal scenario.):)

True, but how to elicit what CBP stand is, unless they verbally tell the person
they have not 'detained' him?
Does CBP field manual chapter 12 to 44 may not be clear on this too,I guess
Otherwise the issue still --stands 'status quo'.
That is the problem with routine secondary inspections.
(There will be no press room statements in normal scenario.):)

I guess you just need to ask "Am I being detained?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6uw7506xMw

I guess you just need to ask "Am I being detained?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6uw7506xMw

All persons with AP are necessarily sent to secondary inspection. Are they being detained? I don't think so. It is just that they do not want to hold up others unnecessarily while some people are being checked more thorughly.

This SRK guy is blowing hot air becoz his ego is hurt. He says he will not step into US again. Whatever. CBP should not apolozise for doing their job. They have enough strippers here and don't need one more.

I hate Indian celebs/politicians looking for a royal treatment where ever they travel. Being sent to Secondary inspection is normal and spending 1 - 2 hours is normal.

I like this country because they treat almost everybody the same (mostly with respect - there are few people with exceptions)

Unless he was treated badly, I hope that SRK apologizes to CBP. It was just his bad day. Get over it SRK. You maybe a millionaire, but here in US, Bill Gates also gets the same treatment.

Once again people, SRK does not need to apologize for anything as he has NOT SAID ANYTHING.

Go read all the news articles again. SRK has NOT stated anything about his treatment by the CBP. It is the Indian community here that is outraged. All the major statements have been made by highly prolific Indian business association, I heard them on the radio myself (as I live in the NYC metro area). Did SRK tell his fellow citizens back in India to burn American flags? Did he at any time say that people of the subcontinent are being profiled and thus the treatment of Americans should be equaled when they enter that region? (despite the irony that he's here to promote a movie on profiling). It is quite pathetic and laughable the assumptions that are made against SRK when all the uproar has been coming from his supporters and not himself personally. Trust me, if he was upset by this whole episode he and his entourage would have taken the next plane back home. He doesn't need to promote anything anywhere, he'll have fans and followers regardless.

Stoned!

No equal treatment in the US.

I hate Indian celebs/politicians looking for a royal treatment where ever they travel. Being sent to Secondary inspection is normal and spending 1 - 2 hours is normal.

I like this country because they treat almost everybody the same (mostly with respect - there are few people with exceptions)

Unless he was treated badly, I hope that SRK apologizes to CBP. It was just his bad day. Get over it SRK. You maybe a millionaire, but here in US, Bill Gates also gets the same treatment.

RPanesh,

Bill Gates doesn't get the same treatment, he flies on his private jet. If you have never flown on a private jet before, I highly recommend it. It is a completely different experience, no need to take off your shoes, after all it is your plane. :rolleyes:The only time you have a CBP check your plane is if you were abroad, just to make sure you didn't bring uninvited guest. However, for all continental US flights, you drive up to your plane and you are on your way once you get clearance from ATC. So, equal treatment is overrated at best...:D:D