K-1 or K-3

Sush_1978

Registered Users (C)
Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend and I are trying to figure out as to what is the fastest and easiest way for us to get married and be together. He is a US citizen and I am an Indian citizen living in Amsterdam for the last 10 years. We would ideally like for me to be in the US by end of 2009. We would like to get married in December around christmas in the Bahamas but I understand with a K-1 Visa I am not allowed to travel till my status is adjusted? Is there a huge difference in the processing time for a K-1 and a K-3. I am visiting my boyfriend in 3 weeks. He is still waiting for the divorce papers from his last marriage to come through. Will there be major ramifications if we were to get married while I visit him? would this mean I will have to leave the country and come back on a spousal/K-3 visa?

Any help would be appreciated as my mind has turned into a mush simply reading up :(

Thank you :)

A K-1 based applicant can travel on an AP document.
K-1s usually take lesser time for processing than K-3s.

I understand with a K-1 Visa I am not allowed to travel till my status is adjusted? Is there a huge difference in the processing time for a K-1 and a K-3.

thank you for your response. What will be the result if we got married in July? his divorce papers will be finalised by then. Does this mean I will have to leave the States and wait for the K-3 visa?

on second thoughts Mr.Ghori, if I enter the US on a tourist visa and get married, wouldn't that me considered Visa fraud?

on second thoughts Mr.Ghori, if I enter the US on a tourist visa and get married, wouldn't that me considered Visa fraud?

Should you enter the US on a tourist visa, marry, then go home and apply for the appropriate visa then that is fine.....marriage on a tourist visa is not a problem. However, should you enter the US with the intent to marry AND stay, then that is classed as visa fraud.