Just got laid off while waiting for N400 Interview

Abed74

Registered Users (C)
I just got laid off while waiting for my N400 interview next month. Not sure how it gonna look like at interview if I apply for unemployment.The city I'm at don't have that many tech jobs. And at this stage I'm little apprehensive to get a contract in other states.

Pls advice.

It really makes no difference for them if you are employed or not. I was a bum for 4 years and they didn't care.

Yes, apply for unemployment. Don't worry for interview. It is probably better to stay put until you naturalize. Contract work in another city/state as long as you keep your residence in your current address shouldn't be a big deal. If you move your residence to a place outside the jurisdiction of your local USCIS office would cause delays as they would probably have to change place of interview and things like that. If you can stay in your same place until you naturalize that would be the best not to cause naturalization delays. However, in the whole scheme of things I would say first priority is finding a job, then USCIS considerations. Good luck.

While waiting for citizenship interview, getting a contract job in a different state other than the state I applied for N400 affect the application?

How does the residency rule apply in that case?

The residency rule applies to where your principal residence is, not where you are working. Did your principal residence change as a result of the contract job?

I have not started the job yet, cause I'm really confused should I start it or not in a different state while my citizenship interview is in next month in my current state.I will still keep my current residence, no change in DL etc either.

But my main confusion would be when i will tell them at the interview about my contract job in a different state what complicacy it would bring.I was also wondering whether I should wait to find a contract job in different state after the citizenship interview or not which is just weeks away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you are moving permanently before the interview and/or oath to the other state to take the contract job I wouldn't worry about it.

It really makes no difference for them if you are employed or not. I was a bum for 4 years and they didn't care.

USER2345, Did they ask anything about your long period of unemployment? I have been unemployed for more than a year now and there is no guarantee that I will have a job by the tim I apply for my citizenship--specially if the economy stays this way.

Gino

May affect seeking re-admission if staying too long abroad

That's not the way you phrased it originally, and that 0.01% possibility can be clearly avoided if trips are less than 6 months, as they should be anyway.