just got interviewed-BAD NEWS???

nyc's situation is not really equivalent to yours, as you had TWO breaks of over 6 months, not just one. And some interviewers are simply more demanding than others. Just find the paper your interviewer asked for and go forward from there.

Actually i have almost the same travel situation as her..maybe you havent read all my posts on how paranoid i am about my own interview due to staying more then 6 months overseas. the papers i took were my fathers...... one of the options is if you have a relative in the USA you kept in contact with..my entire family lives here i grew up here...im the only one leaving to visit my husband so basically im back to the same house same people in the usa of whom all of my family is a citizen..and lived here for ages. i took my dads lease papers that he has been living here for the past 5 years, and his tax papers. thats about it they didnt ask for anything the IO took those,

One of my friend has been outside usa after applying to the citizenship and FP completion, for more than 2 years and sometimes exceeding a year. He took all the documentation he can (Company provided him most of the documentation as he worked for a us company and was on an overseas assignment). His citizenship was approved and granted same day oath after extended review with on the spot experts/supervisors. So I guess its safer to take as much documentation as you can think of.

ncc

One of my friend has been outside usa after applying to the citizenship and FP completion, for more than 2 years and sometimes exceeding a year. He took all the documentation he can (Company provided him most of the documentation as he worked for a us company and was on an overseas assignment). His citizenship was approved and granted same day oath after extended review with on the spot experts/supervisors. So I guess its safer to take as much documentation as you can think of.

ncc

yes be prepared take everything you have that you can.

thanks guys!!!! i found some paperwork from 2003, my driver's license application, the bank provided me a letter too that i opened with them 2003, phone bills from 2003-2004 too under my name with my california address..i have letters from where i used to work...i dont know what else...haha

yes be prepared take everything you have that you can.

Similar situation - 9 months absence due to education - Interview on 11/7 - HELP PLZ

My GC application was accepted in 2003. I came to the states to receive my GC in June 2003. I stayed for the summer and had to go back by September 2003 to finish education credits. Afterthat, I came back to the states again during the summer in June 2004 then went back to my home country by September 2004 for to finish one more semester. I transferred to a US University in Jan 2005 (My overseas school had an agreement with one school in the US. I could not have transferred before then per the agreement between the school due to a min number of credit hours that must be completed before the transfer). I have letters from both schools acknowledging the agreement and the transfer requirement. Since 2005, I have been in the states continiously, with the May 2006 (I have my transcripts). Afterthat, I started working full time and I have my tax returns for 2006 & 2007.

My issue is the initial 9 months absence period. I am providing the following to prove that I did not abandom my residence:

- Overseas education transcrips and letters from both schools
- Proof that a primary relative (my mother) was in the states (pay stubs, mortgage statements, affidavits from friends)
- My mother's tax return showing me as a dependent at the time
- A letter from my health insurance provider showing that I did have coverage although I was overseas for education (since the US was my primary residence)

Sorry for the extensive details - I am just trying to give you a full picture. Does it sound like I covered all basis? Anything else I should provide?

Gurus - please help

My GC application was accepted in 2003. I came to the states to receive my GC in June 2003. I stayed for the summer and had to go back by September 2003 to finish education credits. Afterthat, I came back to the states again during the summer in June 2004 then went back to my home country by September 2004 for to finish one more semester. I transferred to a US University in Jan 2005 (My overseas school had an agreement with one school in the US. I could not have transferred before then per the agreement between the school due to a min number of credit hours that must be completed before the transfer). I have letters from both schools acknowledging the agreement and the transfer requirement. Since 2005, I have been in the states continiously, with the May 2006 (I have my transcripts). Afterthat, I started working full time and I have my tax returns for 2006 & 2007.

My issue is the initial 9 months absence period. I am providing the following to prove that I did not abandom my residence:

- Overseas education transcrips and letters from both schools
- Proof that a primary relative (my mother) was in the states (pay stubs, mortgage statements, affidavits from friends)
- My mother's tax return showing me as a dependent at the time
- A letter from my health insurance provider showing that I did have coverage although I was overseas for education (since the US was my primary residence)

Sorry for the extensive details - I am just trying to give you a full picture. Does it sound like I covered all basis? Anything else I should provide?

Gurus - please help

Everything looks good . when is your interview?

Everything looks good . when is your interview?

I am the same person as sultan83. Sorry my account got deactivated for some reason and now am using this one...

on 11/7... just about 2 weeks from now!

Any other oppinions from anyone??? Do I need to take any other documents? I have nothing else I can think of!

take everything you have..i took alot and they didnt ask for anything just took my fathers tax papers and lease..i had originals of my childrens birth certificate my marriage certificate she didnt ask to see anything at all even the the interview letter stated take original papers of the copies you sent in with your N-400 application. but you should take everything that you have just to be sure.

hey nyc, thanks for all the help...

i found all my tax returns from 2004 to present.. thats enough to prove residency or something right? then 2002 and 2003, i was a dependent of my mom, i have that papers too

take everything you have..i took alot and they didnt ask for anything just took my fathers tax papers and lease..i had originals of my childrens birth certificate my marriage certificate she didnt ask to see anything at all even the the interview letter stated take original papers of the copies you sent in with your N-400 application. but you should take everything that you have just to be sure.

hey nyc, thanks for all the help...

i found all my tax returns from 2004 to present.. thats enough to prove residency or something right? then 2002 and 2003, i was a dependent of my mom, i have that papers too

yes that is perfect to show it seems like its fine now. when will you send?

this week. i want to be sure about everything, so far here's what i came up:

2003- tax return (im a dependent)
- my application for re-entry (she asked for it)
- my original california id with my old address when i got my GC (she also asked in the paper, that i show my address on proof of paperwork when i came back)
- bank certification stating that i opened in 2003 and they also put the same address as my original address in the GC petition
2004- my own tax return
- my texas id ( moved to texas for a bit in 2004-2005)
- certification letter from my old work
- copy of change of address form from us cis
2005 - tax return
- job letter
- california id (moved back to cali)
2006- tax return
- what else? (bills?)
2007- job letter
- tax return
- pay checks...
2008- ????????? pay checks?

what can you suggest? thanks a bunch! i want to be sure this time....
yes that is perfect to show it seems like its fine now. when will you send?

this week. i want to be sure about everything, so far here's what i came up:

2003- tax return (im a dependent)
- my application for re-entry (she asked for it)
what can you suggest? thanks a bunch! i want to be sure this time....
How about the actual approved re-entry permit (or is that what you meant by "application")?

Last edited by a moderator:
oh yeah, forgot to add... i came back before they can approve my re-entry permit. so i have a letter that i cancelled re-entry because i am in the US already. do i need to add that too?

How about the actual approved re-entry permit (or is that what you meant by "application")?

oh yeah, forgot to add... i came back before they can approve my re-entry permit. so i have a letter that i cancelled re-entry because i am in the US already. do i need to add that too?
You applied for the REP in April 2003 ... and in April 2004 when you returned they still had not approved it?

Don't bring the cancellation letter, she didn't ask for that and it could complicate things. Just explain the situation if asked.

YUP...my sisters and i applied at the same time..they got approved for re entry 2005 after we all applied in 2003....

i came back before they can even approve REP...so when i arrived april 2004, i cancelled re-entry permit application since there is no use im living in US for good anyway....

You applied for the REP in April 2003 ... and in April 2004 when you returned they still had not approved it?

Don't bring the cancellation letter, she didn't ask for that and it could complicate things. Just explain the situation if asked.

do you think cancelling REP application will be bad against my application for citizenship? i only cancelled it when i came back because there was no decision anyway

YUP...my sisters and i applied at the same time..they got approved for re entry 2005 after we all applied in 2003....

i came back before they can even approve REP...so when i arrived april 2004, i cancelled re-entry permit application since there is no use im living in US for good anyway....

Just Got Interviewed - No Decision Made!

I got interviewed last Friday and I was really dissapointed by the outcome. The office handed me the piece of paper stating that "a decison can not be made at the time of the interview." She recommended my application for review and she gave me no explanation!

I was really surprised because the interview was going really well. She asked me baisc questions from my application and I answered them all. When she asked me about my 6 months+ absence from the US, I mentioned that I was studying overseas and offered to show her copies of my transcrips and letters from my University (I already mailed in originals with the N400). She did not ask me any more questions about my absence and seemed convinced by my reason. I also answered all the cisvics and hisotry questions correctly.

After that, she started doing some entires on her computer. At that point, I was really waiting for her to say that my application was approved. However, I got the "no decision" document. Is that normal? I can't think of a reason for them to review the application since she did not pin point anything on my application or ask for any additional documents.

What should I do?

Your application most likely has to be reviewed by a senior officer and travel dates checked for consistency. At this point all you can do it wait for your answer in the mail. Make an Infopass if you haven't heard anything in 30-45 days.

I got interviewed last Friday and I was really dissapointed by the outcome. The office handed me the piece of paper stating that "a decison can not be made at the time of the interview." She recommended my application for review and she gave me no explanation!

I was really surprised because the interview was going really well. She asked me baisc questions from my application and I answered them all. When she asked me about my 6 months+ absence from the US, I mentioned that I was studying overseas and offered to show her copies of my transcrips and letters from my University (I already mailed in originals with the N400). She did not ask me any more questions about my absence and seemed convinced by my reason. I also answered all the cisvics and hisotry questions correctly.

After that, she started doing some entires on her computer. At that point, I was really waiting for her to say that my application was approved. However, I got the "no decision" document. Is that normal? I can't think of a reason for them to review the application since she did not pin point anything on my application or ask for any additional documents.

What should I do?

well a few days back i called and spoke to the IO and they said that you have to wait 90 days to get the decision. then they told me something about going on the processing times and december 2007 is the month in new york they are working on. I'm from nov 2007 so if this month the december 2007 moves to january then i can ask them to do a service request which probably wouldnt do crap..what im saying is that we just have to wait. once you put your hands in immigration you can get lost in waiting. some people are lucky they get out fast.