Just Got Back From Cop

Don Chinche

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone,

I got back from my COP last night (I am from Colombia). I used my NP & GC. My wife, (She's from Venezuela), used Travel Document & GC. I had no problem whatsoever at POE (Miami Intl Airport). IO scanned my GC and stamped my NP, no questions asked.

There were some issues with my wife's travel document. She was given a hard time by every single person she had to present it to. They all kept asking for her NP, an IO in Colombia even told us that that document was only for traveling inside the US. (!!!).

At POE, The IO wanted to send her to secondary inspection, but he asked a co-worker first, and he told him that she is a PR, not an Asylee, so he stamped it, and let her in.

The problem is that even though the Document says TRAVEL DOCUMENT on its cover, inside in a tiny small print it says something like "Form I131 Refugee Travel Document", and that seems to throw some people off.

Other than that, everything went well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Don chinche:

Sorry about the inconvince your wife went thru and I am glad everything went safe and sound... Well come!!!

No, she does not.

Her NP expired already, and the Venezuelan consulate is not very cooperative with their citizens.

Primero le preguntaron porque no tenia pasaporte (pensaban que era colombiana), y despues de explicarles que habia vencido, el funcionario llamo al supervisor, el si reconocio el travel Document, y lo sello sin ningun problema.

Al salir de Colombia, fue lo mismo, le preguntaron por el pasaporte, explicamos que habia vencido, que ella era residente americana, asi que llamaron el supervisor, pero este dijo que el Travel Document era solo para viajar dentro de los Estados Unidos. yo le dije que eso no era asi, entonces se fue y le pregunto a otra persona, y finalmente lo sellaron.

En el counter de Avianca fue igual. Preguntan por el pasaporte siempre.

Conclusion; el Travel Document sirve para viajar, pero no es muy conocido. Incluso aca en los Estados Unidos tampoco lo conocen mucho.

Primero le preguntaron porque no tenia pasaporte (pensaban que era colombiana), y despues de explicarles que habia vencido, el funcionario llamo al supervisor, el si reconocio el travel Document, y lo sello sin ningun problema.

Al salir de Colombia, fue lo mismo, le preguntaron por el pasaporte, explicamos que habia vencido, que ella era residente americana, asi que llamaron el supervisor, pero este dijo que el Travel Document era solo para viajar dentro de los Estados Unidos. yo le dije que eso no era asi, entonces se fue y le pregunto a otra persona, y finalmente lo sellaron.

En el counter de Avianca fue igual. Preguntan por el pasaporte siempre.

Conclusion; el Travel Document sirve para viajar, pero no es muy conocido. Incluso aca en los Estados Unidos tampoco lo conocen mucho.

English par favor

Don't want to through any 'water' on the festivities, but keep in mind that going back to COP may come up during naturalization. Meaning, even though you don't have problems coming back at the POI, you may be asked during your citizenship interview why you went back, etc. You will have to list your trips on the N-400 since becoming a PR and present your passport as well.

Sorry about that...

I was explaining how IO's in Colombia are not familiar with RTD's, so everytime they are presented with one of them, they have to call their supervisors, but they do recognize RTD's.

Lolali,

i'm not going to argue your post because it is true. I don't know what's going to happen from this point forward.

Going back to my COP, after 8 years, was something I decided based on all the experiences shared by other forists, and I also wanted to share mine. I am not saying out loud that it is ok to do so. It all comes down to be a personal decision.

Thanks Don Chinche - its important that we share ideas and information on here and I appreciate you informing us about your trip.

You are 100% right as well - it does come down to a personal decision. I guess I was trying to let people know that if they do decide to go back to the COP, they should do it for 'legitimate' reasons and keep proof of their trip. Don't throw anything away until you have that certificate of citizenship in your hand!