Just finished my I-589 Interview this morning

Mr. Bird

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys, i know this is a forum that we all enjoy sharing experiences and knowledge hence my post.

I was scheduled for 9:00am interview. I was there at 8:30. The officer, a good looking lady with a good sense of humor called my name and requested me to give her one more hour to first interview another applicant. She apologized for any inconvenience she may have caused me. I told her it was okay.

ONE HOUR LATER
The officer came to me and asked me to come in with her. She asked me to take an oath that everything that i will say and provide is true and nothing but the truth. She went straight to asking me questions about my asylum application. She only asked me questions referring to my I-589 form that i submitted. I explained in detail describing each incident. She kept going back and forth the same question in different versions. Since my application is political based, she asked me questions about my political background and thoroughly tested my political know-how in my COP. It seemed like she had done some research about my COP recent political events and wanted to see my political strengths or weaknesses. She wanted to know if i have been to another country before America, she was also so cunning trying to know if i was assisted in filling that form. She would radically switch from different questions which according to my story, most had one same answer. All questions were coming from my persecution story. She then asked me if i had supplemented my evidence and i said yes showing her the copies of what i submitted as added evidence. She asked for the originals of all the documents i submitted and i provided. She gave me a form to sign saying that i have appeared before an officer and the interview was done. She told me that the interview was over after 1hr 35mins. She told me to wait for my decision in two to six weeks. And that was my long awaited interview, hopping and praying for the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was a tough interview. Where did you have it? We had an interview 10 days ago in Chicago. On Monday we go back for the results. Our interview was not so rough. Our guy was very kind and supportive. He had a very good attitude toward us. He never tried to expose us in lies or find any discrepancies with our story. We felt very good about the interview that lasted about 2 hours. In just 1 days, we will know our fate....
I really hope that you have convinced them.
Best of luck,
O.

It was not as tough since the story was on my fingertips. So today is Tuesday, I hope you have good news from your yesterday's result. Please tell us.

Hi!
So your application is political-based. Ours was race-based. We got approved - we have been granted indefinite asylum. The receipt shows that our case was approved on September 3rd, 2010. We had an interview on September 1st. Came for the result on September 13th.

In our case, I was right to assume that whatever impression you have from an interview, this is what you will get in your result. All of us had a warm and fuzzy feeling about the interview.
Some people on this forum say that officers didn't treat nicely these guys and showed all their skepticism, which did lead to a referral to an IJ.

hi everybody ,

I' ve done with my interview but the officer asked me to send to him all original documents that i have .he gave me 10 days to send all them . what does it mean ? is it good thing or he wanted to deny my case ? please do you have any same experiences ?
thanks

hi everybody ,

I' ve done with my interview but the officer asked me to send to him all original documents that i have .he gave me 10 days to send all them . what does it mean ? is it good thing or he wanted to deny my case ? please do you have any same experiences ?
thanks

Relax. You will be fine. He won't waste his time if he wants to reject your case.

hi everybody ,

thanks
To me, that means the officer has given you a winning score but wants you to prove that you really deserve it. Immediately after my interview, the officer asked me for my originals which she told me she BELIEVES in seeing originals before making any decision. It may be their policy requirement and nothing to do with your case. But i see it as a plus because if he wanted to deny you, then he wud have no time to see more of you there. All the best.

@Mobly, In such a case, i believe they will believe what you tell them. It therefore calls for documents from your COP showing your recent activities E.g if you graduated in your COP in April 2010, you can show the certificate as proof that you were not in USA then; they might need to contact the institution to make sure that you surely did. You can also ask for a letter from your local administration, church, school etc demonstrating your recent activities in your COP hence recommending you. This is just my thought and there might be other known legal ways and so it is wise to ask a legal adviser for more info.

Hey, Mr. Bird! Did you get any results???

Hey, not yet. I called the asylum office and i was connected to the lady who interviewed me. She told me that the decision has already been made and i should probably get it in a week. It has been 3weeks now and anxiety is killing me. I will keep you guys posted as soon as i get my decision.