Just Came Back From Home Country

Sassanga! Taking you at the back room still does NOT prove that they did that because you obtained status through asylum and they were suspicious of your visit. You still have not gotten your platic green card? right?
So with plastic card they have the facility to swipe it through the machine real quick and see your status. In this case you were holding that paper card which they issued you temporarily, which does not have any bar code on it.
So they took you in the room so that they can verify that you are now permanent resident that paper card is real.

What we are debating here is the INTENT, why they took you in the room. What do you think? Did they ask you something like "why did you go back when you had asylum?

Lazerthegreat said:
Sassanga! Taking you at the back room still does NOT prove that they did that because you obtained status through asylum and they were suspicious of your visit. You still have not gotten your platic green card? right?
So with plastic card they have the facility to swipe it through the machine real quick and see your status. In this case you were holding that paper card which they issued you temporarily, which does not have any bar code on it.
So they took you in the room so that they can verify that you are now permanent resident that paper card is real.

What we are debating here is the INTENT, why they took you in the room. What do you think? Did they ask you something like "why did you go back when you had asylum?
I thought i already mentioned that they asked me the purpose of my trip to my home country.You don`t have to have plastic or a bar code to be swiped for them to know how you obtain PR.The codes on the back of the I-155 are quite enough for them to know it in otherwords you don`t have to be a rocket scientist it`s very obvious.

SINNERSROOM said:
I see now u got married to american citizen . it is different situation . in this case u can go home every 6 month .

Being married to a US Citizen does not help Sessanga in terms of being allowed to go home. For all immigration intents, he derived his PR status through Asylum - so he is going to be held to the Ayslum rules & regulations.

The positive thing for Sessanga is that he can use the 3yr married to US Citizen rule to apply for citizenship. This helps him because he was married to the citizen before he got his GC - and plus the backdating of 1 yr makes him eligible to apply for citizenship by May 2006.

When filling out his N-400, he will still list that he got his PR status through Asylum (not through marriage), but he will also check off the applying in 3 yrs because of marriage to a citizen. They are two entirely different items and should not be confused.

Hope this makes sense.

LolaLi said:
Being married to a US Citizen does not help Sessanga in terms of being allowed to go home. For all immigration intents, he derived his PR status through Asylum - so he is going to be held to the Ayslum rules & regulations.

The positive thing for Sessanga is that he can use the 3yr married to US Citizen rule to apply for citizenship. This helps him because he was married to the citizen before he got his GC - and plus the backdating of 1 yr makes him eligible to apply for citizenship by May 2006.

When filling out his N-400, he will still list that he got his PR status through Asylum (not through marriage), but he will also check off the applying in 3 yrs because of marriage to a citizen. They are two entirely different items and should not be confused.

Hope this makes sense.
BUT anyway

If you get married to US citizen u will get your greencard earlier than asylee.As you know asylee waits for GC at least for 7 to 10 years. So It means he had changed his asylum status by getting married to US citizen and he got his GC and Now He is going to apply for citizinship.
And of course He can go Out OF USA to His HOME where HE used to be persecuated ,Because he got his GC through marriage. Thatswhy Immigration officers didnt Stop him .

But if He got his GC through Asylum Status and afterwards got married TO US citizen .When He will apply for citizinship CIA Background check is gonna Show that He had visited his persecuated country. And they might delay or send him to immigration court .
And also person who got Approval of PR It means He should go for interview to get his plastic card. it is unclear in Sessanges Story
What do you think about that?

Last edited by a moderator:
SINNERSROOM said:
BUT anyway

If you get married to US citizen u will get your greencard earlier than asylee.As you know asylee waits for GC at least for 7 to 10 years. So It means he had changed his asylum status by getting married to US citizen and he got his GC and Now He is going to apply for citizinship.
And of course He can go Out OF USA to His HOME where HE used to be persecuated ,Because he got his GC through marriage. Thatswhy Immigration officers didnt Stop him .

But if He got his GC through Asylum Status and afterwards got married TO US citizen .When He will apply for citizinship CIA Background check is gonna Show that He had visited his persecuated country. And they might delay or send him to immigration court .
And also person who got Approval of PR It means He should go for interview to get his plastic card. it is unclear in Sessanges Story

For clarification i got my GC long after i married my wife with whom i`ve married for a little over 3 yrs now, and i got it through asylum not through my wife.I`m very much aware that going back to my home country will raise questions,be rest assured that i will encounter any adverse reaction taken against me before or after i file for citizenship.

SINNERSROOM said:
BUT anyway

Hi -

Actually I think one will encounter problems switching from asylum based adjustment to marriage-to-citizen based adjustment - depending on the circumstances they entered the country.

For example, some asylees came through visa's (knowing they were going to claim asylum), forged documents, and/or smuggled themselves in. While all this can be cleared up by an approved Form I-602 during ajudication of an asylum based application - it can be quite impossible through a marriage-based adjustment. The LIFE Act did try to grant some form of amensty for this, but it has sunsetted (if that is a word).

It is very clear in Sessanga's story... especially for those of us who are from the 2003 era. :) He got stopeed by CIS and was allowed to re-enter after he proved his reasons for going back. And, I am quite confident he has the paperwork to prove his reasons - if he is ever questioned again.

Immigration law is intricate and designed to not apply in the same manner categorically - even if the benefit being sought is the same. In other words, asylum-based PR adjustments have diferent rules and regulations than marriage-based PR adjustments - even though the end result is USA Permenant Residency. I think this is the hardest thing for people to grasp. Yes, being a PR is essentially being a PR - but one's path to aquiring that PR dictates the rules he/she must follow to maintain that status. Of course, there are general rules we must all follow as PRs, but some categories (like asylees and refugees) have additional rules that apply only to us - even after adjustment.

Ok...I've rambled enough. I wish everyone a happy new year!

To put an end to this!

Long time....

Just to put an end to this:

Someone I know recently visited the home country.

1. Got approved for her GC, but did not receive the actual card.
2. Went to the local INS office and told them that she wants to visit the home country.
3. The officer told her that she can do that since now she is a resident (I am not making this up and those who claim to know all about US immigration can suck it up).
4. The officer asked her if she has a national passport.
5. The office stamped her passport.
6. She traveled and came back, no problem!
7. When she came back, her GC was there already.

End of the story!

Again, those who claim to know all about US immigration can suck it up

****Somehow this post showed under th ewrong thread, but uh well, just read thru!*****

bringslite said:
Long time....

2. Went to the local INS office and told them that she wants to visit the home country.
3. The officer told her that she can do that since now she is a resident (I am not making this up and those who claim to know all about US immigration can suck it up).

End of the story!

****Somehow this post showed under th ewrong thread, but uh well, just read thru!*****

I agree with u but you have to remember that obtaining a GC is not a right but a privilege.In otherwords you have to be prepared to encounter any questions poised to u in case they arise.

I have heard in this forum of asylees whose GC`s were revoked,it could be true that it was due to returning to their home countries or it also could be different reasons that they were deported.I remember some members in this forum who warned asylees not to go back are immigration attorneys.

I personally do not see any negative impact for an aslyee based GC holder to be deported just because he/she went back to home country.

As a token you don`t loose anything if u are prepaired just in case. IO`s have all rights to toss u around if they want to,It`s not a threat but a reality i`m afraid.

bringslite said:
Long time....

End of the story!

Is she from mexico???????????????

Punjabi_Munda said:
Thank you so much for the info Sessanga, we truly appreciate it. I wonder if anyone got to the bottom of old Nanok's email who told us that her brother applied for Citizenship right after he got his green card (he was asylee) and got citizenship in the same year. Has anyone tried doing it? If that was the case, what we got to lose, other than $$$ off course to give it a shot ;)

The law states very clearly. For asylees it's 5yrs from your GC issue date. May be he joined the military and applied under Military N-400?