Just a few days of overstay?

sunshine87

Registered Users (C)
I am a Canadian who was issued a B2 vissa when crossing the US border with my husband. Despite all my efforts to prove my ties to Canada, I wasn't sufficiently able to do so. The border agent was convinced that I was going to remain in the US with my husband and work illegally. Not the case, I only planned on visiting for 5-6 months, then returning to my job in Canada (plus we have an application in process for my husband to become a Canadian permanent resident). My departure record was issued for Oct 12. I flew back to Canada on Oct 10 and attempted to return to the US Oct 17. As I suspected, I was pulled into secondary Immigration and grilled. I explained my plan of staying until Jan 25/2013, then returning to Canada in my car. I was issued another B2 for Jan 15, 10 days earlier than I had told them, and 3 days before my birthday. Was that a mistake, or on purpose? I have my doubts..

This is unusual, since I think Canadians are rarely issued a B2 unless in a similar situation. With my background in mind, I have a few questions:

1. What are the consequences of overstaying by just a few days? Weeks?
2. Will an overstay of say, 2 weeks cause further issues when visiting again in the future?
3. Would an overstay effect a (very far away.. like 20 years) future green card application, should my husband and I decide to live in the US?

Imo, i would not stay any longer, don't forget that everyone is registered. If you stay longer, and you go back in less than 5 year you could receive a possible ban. So that could cause troubles if you want to re-enter the US.
Don't play with your future and try to leave right on time. If you do it at and you have troubles, it can probably cause problems for your greencard.

See answers below in bold.

1. What are the consequences of overstaying by just a few days? Bad Weeks? VERY BAD
2. Will an overstay of say, 2 weeks cause further issues when visiting again in the future? YES
3. Would an overstay effect a (very far away.. like 20 years) future green card application, should my husband and I decide to live in the US? Not Likely

A1/A2/A3: You have now been issued an I-94 with a date. You are now expected to hand that I-94 over upon departure. Absense of that I-94 will be considered an overstay by USCIS. So in my opinion, you need to leave before the I-94 expires. If you overstay, you will prove to USCIS that their suspicisions about you are correct. You cannot be trusted. During your next entry attempt into the US, you might be refused entry. You want to risk it? Spending your birthday with your husband is that important? The call is yours to make.

1. What are the consequences of overstaying by just a few days? Weeks?
2. Will an overstay of say, 2 weeks cause further issues when visiting again in the future?
3. Would an overstay effect a (very far away.. like 20 years) future green card application, should my husband and I decide to live in the US?

What further explanation did you want me to give? I do not need to explain to anybody who clearly knows the rules and is looking to find consequences of breaking them. Rules are made to be obeyed irrespective of the consequences.

Perhaps you could go in-depth with her yourself.

Your answers would have some credibility if you explained them.

My mother-in-law overstayed her tourist visa by 5 days. When she applied for another she was denied, and told she could apply again. After the 5th. attempt, they told her that they like to make people wait 18-months before they even think about giving them another.

My mother-in-law overstayed her tourist visa by 5 days. When she applied for another she was denied, and told she could apply again. After the 5th. attempt, they told her that they like to make people wait 18-months before they even think about giving them another.

I'm only surprised that they refuse to admit someone on a hunch that he/she might stay here and work ????
did they (us emigration ) get the memo about worst economic crisis we are going through ?-simply put it there is no JOBS for anyone -being legal or ilegal