July 2009 Family Based Filers - Post Here

AOS Interview Preparation and Sample Interview Questions

Thanks SpanishGirl, I am exciting too.

That is what I am wondering. Does everybody else interview letter addresses the interview as "initial", or something else?!

Thanks

Yes it does:

REQUEST FOR APPLICANT TO APPEAR FOR INITIAL INTERVIEW
CASE TYPE: FORM I-485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS

It does not mention anywhere about I-130 and I assume because it is redundant. If interviewing officer is satisfied with your and your spouse's answers at the first (initial) interview, you will not have the second interview.

Therefore do you best and prepare for the first interview, even if you think that you and your spouse know each other very well. I think that interviewer may also use some questions that are meant for stokes interview. Therefore reading and having ready answers to those questions will be also useful for achievement of the best possible preparedness.

I have uploaded a couple useful Word files to this post. Reading them should be helpful for your better preparation and successful completion of the interview. Perhaps you have already seen them or downloaded from elsewhere, including this website. But in case if you haven't, here they are again, including a few links with useful tips.

AOS Interview Tips for those with upcoming interviews., AOS Interview Tips
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=154623&hl=

Example Interview Questions
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=exampleq#aos

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it weird that all my cases still say last touched July.29-31.... Maybe it will be a while before I get my AP and EAD

They finally ordered my wife's card below is the email receive from CRIS

*** DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL ***

The last processing action taken on your case

Receipt Number: MSC09xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Card production ordered.

On August 25, 2009, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. If we need something from you we will contact you. If you move before you receive the card, call customer service. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register.

afrank.. when did you receive this email? Today?
I wonder if the CRIS system is behind a few days. I have noticed that the emails seems to refer actiona taken on earlier dates, sometime even 4-5 days earlier than the email date.

afrank.. when did you receive this email? Today?
I wonder if the CRIS system is behind a few days. I have noticed that the emails seems to refer actiona taken on earlier dates, sometime even 4-5 days earlier than the email date.

Yes we received the email today at 3:45 pm EST and just like you said other members on this forum received their card production email today even though they had their interview last week and were approved last week .

Yes we received the email today at 3:45 pm EST and just like you said other members on this forum received their card production email today even though they had their interview last week and were approved last week .

dude, congrats to you and your wife! :)

I just got a notice for interview date on 9/24/09.
When I review the forms, I found I put down wrong SSN on I485 form, SSN on other forms were correct though.

Is it going to cause any problem for background check?
Or the background check should be already done since I got the interview notice already?

Hi, I have a similar question, I think I put wrong info a couple of years ago about my parents by mistake when I applied for my SSC, so do they check those things in the background check? - or since we got interview letters already we're safe?

Thanks,

Receipt Number: MSC0********6

Application Type: I765 , APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION

Current Status: Card production ordered. On September 1, 2009. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you.

Now I just wait for my Advance parole... which I really hope is soon.

Does it usually take 30 days to recieve your EAD card??

Current Status: Card production ordered. On September 1, 2009. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you.

nope you will receive it next week.

And I MUST wait to work unitil the exact day I get it correct?

&

Is it weird that I do not have my AP yet? Or does the USCIS take their time and send everything seperate?

Yes you would need to wait for EAD card before starting to work.

My wife is also waiting for EAD and she can't work now. She had to stop working after her work visa expired last month. Our case was touched on 8/25 as per online status.

&

Is it weird that I do not have my AP yet? Or does the USCIS take their time and send everything seperate?

&

correct because you will need it to get your ssn and your driver's license.you may receive your ap along with the EAD.

This is good news! Your interview is very soon, you might get the GC before the AP...good luck!

I got 2 identical documents in the mail today:

I-512L authorization For parole of an alien into the USA.

I only got 2, does this mean I'm only allowed to leave and re-enter twice?

Date isued: August 27 2009

Now I am free to go back to Canada right?? I am aiming for the first week in October.

When I am seeing the signatures it looks like most of you have sent it to the Chicago Lock box (and it also gives this location in USCIS website for Family Based GC's for certain criteria) but we have filed it at the National Benefits Center (and USCIS website also has the same info online for our application on I 485, I 765 and I 131).

1) Our notice says that the case is at NBC. Is it generally faster when we file forms at the Field office?

2) I got I130 approval notice couple of months ago. I see some forums where people have mentioned that it makes it faster if we apply I130 all over again while filing for AOS. Is this true?? We have kept the approved 130 and just upgrading our petition now by filing 485. Any insight on these is appreciated.

Congrats afrank!!

Best of luck to spanish girl,xkywalkor and diegowarrior for your interview!!

July 20 2009: Receipt Date
July 23 2009: Notice Date
July 27 2009; Checks Encashed
July 27 2009: NOA received
July 31 2009: Received Notice for FP (on Aug 22, 2009)
Aug 22 2009: FP Done for both I 485 and I 765

ilcitizen;2094395]When I am seeing the signatures it looks like most of you have sent it to the Chicago Lock box (and it also gives this location in USCIS website for Family Based GC's for certain criteria) but we have filed it at the National Benefits Center (and USCIS website also has the same info online for our application on I 485, I 765 and I 131).

1) Our notice says that the case is at NBC. Is it generally faster when we file forms at the Field office?

ilcitizen, thanks for the best wishes! I know that my case was handled at the NBC, and mine all went pretty quick. I do not think it matters where it is sent.

I'm wondering if bad fingerprints could slow down our case? I'm desperate for the EAD so I can get a SS number - I can't get health insurance or a driving license or goodness knows what else until we have this. Frustrating.

Any idea how long it's taking for the EAD to come through after biometrics? I know we just have to be patient, it's just annoying because we keep trying to do things and then find out we can't without an SS number!!!

I'm wondering if bad fingerprints could slow down our case? I'm desperate for the EAD so I can get a SS number - I can't get health insurance or a driving license or goodness knows what else until we have this. Frustrating.

Any idea how long it's taking for the EAD to come through after biometrics? I know we just have to be patient, it's just annoying because we keep trying to do things and then find out we can't without an SS number!!!

Give it a couple more weeks.