JULY 2003 CHENNAI CP EXPERIENCES

My lawyer recommends going for AOS… I have posted this question on this forum before and based on responses I have decided to go for CP ( My case is already with NVC).

Recently my lawyer mentioned the following with risks associated with CP.........

“Secondly, the security checks and name checks are done once you have left the US and gone to your interview. There have been times when these checks do not come back for extended periods of time. If this should happen you could get stuck outside of the US waiting for the results, with no ability to speed the process up. It could be more than 6 months in some cases. If you have an H the consulate may take it away from you pending the interview and you would have no way to get back.”

Have you heard about this before? OR do you know anyone who has recently appeared for interview and had to wait for extended period of time before s/he could come back to US?

Any inputs appreciated...

It's true...

that if you get selected for additional security check/back ground check at the consulate, it can take quite some time. Check the story of a user 'Jayanagar' by searching this forum. There have been only a handful of such stories in the CP front. hopefully, it won't be a factor in your CP. Good luck.;)

Re: Re: Re: Limited corrections are only accepted

Originally posted by bvganesh
Karthhi,

Got your message. (Guess you are the person who had called me up!! -- if not ignore the rest!). I tried calling your home # on 24th evening. It was ringing. Then I got busy with packing and left Chennai on 26th. So, didn't get a chance to talk to you. Sorry about that.

Cheers,
Ganesh.
BVGanesh,

After the interview on July 22nd, the next day waited at home the whole day for the Blue Dart courier to show up. Till 4'o clock courier didnt turn up, so out of curiosity, called you to check on the same. And later the courier came at about 6 pm.

On this happier note went to Thirupathi on 24th, so missed your call.

Nice to know that you have got your GC - PC :)

My POE was on Aug 10th at Los Angeles, no issues, just that after finger printing, had to wait for about an hour to get the Passport stamped with I-551.

Now waiting for the Welcome Letter and GC - PC !!!

Cheers
Karthi

Regarding PCC, I have obtained one from the Indian consulate. I have been staying in the US for past 6 years. Should i need to get another certificate from the local station in India.

Jay.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Limited corrections are only accepted

Originally posted by karthi_ram
BVGanesh,

After the interview on July 22nd, the next day waited at home the whole day for the Blue Dart courier to show up. Till 4'o clock courier didnt turn up, so out of curiosity, called you to check on the same. And later the courier came at about 6 pm.

On this happier note went to Thirupathi on 24th, so missed your call.

Nice to know that you have got your GC - PC :)

My POE was on Aug 10th at Los Angeles, no issues, just that after finger printing, had to wait for about an hour to get the Passport stamped with I-551.

Now waiting for the Welcome Letter and GC - PC !!!

Cheers
Karthi

Congrats bud. My PC & welcome letter came on the same day. It was a big surprise as it took just 2 weeks to get my PC...

Hopefully you will get your PC soon and wishing you the very best.

Cheers,
Ganesh.

immigration style photo questions

Are the immi. photos (that one
would take in Chennai ) actually
trimmed to size 37 mm x 37 mm.

I took mine at Sears, the person
assured me she knew what she was
doing....

Thanks,

Fee at Chennai consulate

Hi,
Can some one let me know about any kind of fee that we need to pay at Chennai consulate.
I paid $335 at NVC.

Re: Fee at Chennai consulate

Originally posted by Krishn_cp
Hi,
Can some one let me know about any kind of fee that we need to pay at Chennai consulate.
I paid $335 at NVC.

You need to take the receipt of the fee paid at NVC (just in case they ask you, it is better to have this handy).

Asides this you would be taking a DD payable to Blue Dart Couriers for Rs. 350.00 (add Rs. 50 for each dependent who is applying GC with you) That's all.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ganesh.

Ganesh,
Thanks for the help you did so far by posting your
experiences and letting everyone know exactly what
documents do they need to carry. I am just following your
SECTION 3 documents list for my interview. My interview is on Aug 29th.

Thanks again for your interest.

Originally posted by Krishn_cp
Ganesh,
Thanks for the help you did so far by posting your
experiences and letting everyone know exactly what
documents do they need to carry. I am just following your
SECTION 3 documents list for my interview. My interview is on Aug 29th.

Thanks again for your interest.

Mine is just a summary for what people had posted in this forum. This is a wonderful communication interchange board. So, thank the people who created and interact thro' this board.

Wishing you the very best for your interview!

Cheers,
Ganesh.

CP time

Guys does anyone know the average time for CP if I apply it from California?
Is it safe to go to CP?
I'm permanently employed with a bay area, california company for 4 years. And if I apply for CP, I have to go Chennai.

please suggest.

thanks

Re: CP time

Originally posted by immportuser
Guys does anyone know the average time for CP if I apply it from California?
Is it safe to go to CP?
I'm permanently employed with a bay area, california company for 4 years. And if I apply for CP, I have to go Chennai.

please suggest.

thanks

There is enough info already avbl in this forum. Please search the forums for more details.

But just a quick cap!

Assuming you are going to/had already mention that you are going for CP at the time of I-140 application, it would take about 5-6 months from the date of approval of I-140.

The approval time for I-140 varies with the various centres.

If your passport is issued from the zone which falls under the US Consulate chennai jurisdiction, YES you'll have to go to chennai. (else depending on the place of issue of passport in India, you might have to go to either New Delhi or Mumbai).

Safe or Unsafe depends on your job and your company. If you get laid off anytime before the GC interview at chennai, the whole GC process is dumped then and you would have to restart it afresh. But if your company is willing to give you the required "employment letters" even if you are laid-off, then that don't bother about the above statement.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ganesh.

CP time

Thanks for the info Ganesh.

I recently got a new passport issued by Indian Consulate in San Francisco. Does it mean that I have to go to New Delhi or Bombay? My original passport was issued from Hyderabed (Chennai zone).

thanks

CP Time (Correction regarding passport)

I recently got a new passport issued by Indian Consulate in San Francisco. Does it mean that I have to go to New Delhi or Bombay? My first passport was issued from Hyderabed (Chennai zone).

thanks

Re: CP Time (Correction regarding passport)

I recently got a new passport issued by Indian Consulate in San Francisco. Does it mean that I have to go to New Delhi or Bombay? My first passport was issued from Hyderabed (Chennai zone).

thanks

At time you file for I140 your lawyer fills fills which is the nearest consulate for your India address. In your case I assume it will be Chennai. So your case probably will go to Chennai. My passport was issued from Delhi and my interview came in Chennai because may be my H1 was done from there.. I did not try to reschedule because it would have led to delay and I did not want to take risk. There was no problem during the CP. So do not worry

Re: CP Time (Correction regarding passport)

thanks

Just to supplement aronline, most likely you would be going to Chennai. My passport was original issued from Chennai and the new passport was from Chicago.

Cheers,
Ganesh

I-140 time in california

Guys

What is the average time for I-140 approval in california. I am in EB2 category. Am kinda stuck to chose between consular processing and I485. My H1 expires by end of next year.

pl advise
thanks

Transit Visa to Germany

Guys,

After my 3yr H1-B visa i received a renewal for the next 3 yrs. But i do not have it stamped in my passport although i have all the documents with the new i94. Do i still have to get a transit visa to Germany? If anyone has done this pls advice

Booker

I have the CP interview on a friday. When can i expect the bluedart to deliver the visa. I am planning to go on a trip on saturday and sunday. i will postpone, if they might deliver on a saturday.

Last edited by a moderator: