J2 work

barcmahesh

my wife is on J2 and awaiting EAD. she has a job offer in hand as a researcher. can she get a ds2019 of her own stating J1 visa staus. iam not sure whether this is possible as my J1 and her j2 are subject to 212E. should she accept employment on J1 or should she await EAD to accept employment. when I apply for waiver she would get it automatically if she is on j2. if she accepts a new ds2019can she travel outside us and come back on her current j2 visa itself while holding her new ds2019. or should she change her j2 to j1 when she comes back. kindly help.

Her EAD should arrive at some point. If the only reason to want a J-1 is work, it's actually a lot better for her to stay a J-2 and wait for her EAD. If she becomes a J-1, then she will need a separate J-1 waiver in the future. So things will get more complicated in that regard.

If she accepts a J-1 position, she cannot be admitted to the US on a J-2 visa. The stamp given on her I-94 when she enters indicates her status, and if she has a J-1 DS-2019, she must obtain a J-1 visa to enter in J-1 status.

So these are two considerations to have in mind when she makes a decision.

Thanks for the reply

Hi Jk0274,
Thank you very much for the reply. i pretty had the same idea but was not sure.

Hi Jk0274,
Thank you very much for the reply. i pretty had the same idea but was not sure.

She can't get J1 from J2 easily unless she go outside the US for 1 year bar (something different from the 2 year home country). EAD is simple and unlimited to any type of work. Good luck